PDA

View Full Version : Even Dumber chain question

Rapid Tourist
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
So, I think its time to change my campy 10 speed chain. I hate my campy chain. :( Don't get me wrong, its served me well for thousands of miles and never given me a problem, but I hate that you have to have a special campy chain tool and several links to break the chain.

What's a good replacement chain that will work with my campy 10-speed drivetrain? I like to be able to break it pretty easily to soak in degreaser. Thanks. :)

Tailwinds
04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I use a Campy chain w/a Connex (?) link... it's very easy to remove and reinstall without a chain tool.

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I use a Campy chain w/a Connex (?) link... it's very easy to remove and reinstall without a chain tool.

Same here ... No Problems !

pale scotsman
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM

Preach on sister!

Rapid Tourist
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
What is a connex link and is it hard to install?? Thanks.

gone
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
What is a connex link and is it hard to install?? Thanks.
Made by wipperman and an absolute snap to install (assuming you have a chain tool to take out the requisite link).

See:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Connex+Link&vendorCode=WIPPERMN&major=1&minor=11

6.2mm works great for campy.

Tailwinds
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Excel has them. It just replaces a link in your chain, it's easy to install with a regular chain tool, and once you install it, you can just use your hands to slide it off and uninstall/reinstall the chain. I just started using one last year and won't go without it now.

csm
04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
lbs has them too. usually
they might even let you use a chain tool to remove the link.

stevep
04-06-2006, 06:26 AM
dont oil it too much and you wont have to take it off all the time. deep six the wax junk.
clean with a rag, couple drops of wet lube, wipe off...
bang...clean and ride.

Tom
04-06-2006, 06:32 AM
And a good Park chain tool works fine. In my experience, a Campy chain tool was unnecessary. Like Stevep said you can clean it on the bike until it wears out, which won't be any sooner than the other way.

e-RICHIE
04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
but I hate that you have to have a special campy chain tool and several links to break the chain.

i have a "basic" link tool and it works
like a charm, and i've removed/replaced
chains without adding a new link and
have not had any mechanicals.

sspielman
04-06-2006, 07:10 AM
I have had very good luck with the Wipperman NICKEL Connex chain for Campagnolo 10 speed...and it comes with the Connex link!

Fixed
04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
dont oil it too much and you wont have to take it off all the time. deep six the wax junk.
clean with a rag, couple drops of wet lube, wipe off...
bang...clean and ride.
bro that is the best kept chain secret .i.m.h.o.
cheers

znfdl
04-06-2006, 01:49 PM

same here no problems.

Rapid, you can borrow my campy chain ttol if you wish......

palincss
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Made by wipperman and an absolute snap to install (assuming you have a chain tool to take out the requisite link).

See:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=10+Speed+Connex+Link&vendorCode=WIPPERMN&major=1&minor=11

6.2mm works great for campy.

I have one on a Shimano chain. It's slightly different in operation from a SRAM link, in that to open the SRAM you sort of pinch the links together and push inwards, but with the Connex you first have to turn the link to 90 degrees.

Both links, by the way, can be a bit difficult to open if the chain is dirty. I've found dripping a little chain cleaner on the link before opening it makes the job a lot easier.

I gave up on Shimano chains for years because I found having to use those special pins highly annoying, but with a Connex link in place, they're actually pretty decent chains.

72gmc
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I have had very good luck with the Wipperman NICKEL Connex chain for Campagnolo 10 speed...and it comes with the Connex link!

I use the same. I have considered trying the Campy chain/Connex link, however, because I've found the Wipperman chain to be noisier and less durable. But it's a good price at 40 bucks a chain. I can't believe I actually said that...

Serotta PETE
04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
So, I think its time to change my campy 10 speed chain. I hate my campy chain. :( Don't get me wrong, its served me well for thousands of miles and never given me a problem, but I hate that you have to have a special campy chain tool and several links to break the chain.

What's a good replacement chain that will work with my campy 10-speed drivetrain? I like to be able to break it pretty easily to soak in degreaser. Thanks. :)

Send SPOKES A NOTE....HE DOES NOT NEED TOOL WITH HIS PROCESS AND HE USES CAMPY CHAIN>

Pete

rePhil
04-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I think if you are using the newest narrowest version Campy 10 then the Shimano Connex link is used.
I am waiting for the SRAM myself

Litespeeder
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I use a Shimano 10sp chain on both of my road bikes and a sram chain on my mountain bike. The sram has a connex like link that makes it easy to take off the chain. Perhaps I have done it for so long but taking off the Shimano chain with a chain tool is a snap. Yes, you do need a tool but it takes me seconds to pop off the pin and put a new pin back in. I don't see what the big deal is. Is the campy chain that much more difficult to pop the pin off?

:bike:

Tailwinds
04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Is the campy chain that much more difficult to pop the pin off?

The Campy chain tool is expensive.