PDA

View Full Version : Dumb chain question

Rapid Tourist
04-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I have an extra 9 speed shimano chain in my parts bin. Can I use this chain on my fixed gear? My fixie does not use "true track" (one eighth, I think) chainrings and cogs. In other words, you don't have to have a special heavy duty chain for a fixed gear, right?? Enlighten me.

stevep
04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
will work if you have a 3/32 cog and a regular non track chainring.
the 1/8 track cog will be too wide and the real track chainrings are too thick

Smiley
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Tourista , Since you use BRAKES like most sane people I would say you could use a non track chain BUT if you start to put back pressure on the pedals to stop I would then stick with a TRACK chain, What ... don't get cheap now , buy a gold one like mine :)

Brian Smith
04-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Unless you're talking about massive chains for Freestyle abuse, the chains that are called 1/8" are no stronger than the chains called 3/32", so 7,8,9,10 speed chains are fine even for backpedalling use.
Also consider: If you somehow are able to put more pressure on your pedals in the backwards (counter-revolutionary?) direction, then why wouldn't the drivetrain be designed to work that way to propel you forward? You can't.

RT - Use the 9 speed chain after making sure it's not overly worn, and make your chainline nice and straight to help with wear. Strength is not an issue.