PDA

View Full Version : does such a wristwatch exist ?

AngryScientist
02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
it's been a while since i bought a digital, work-out typed watch.

what i'm looking for is something for interval training. an audible beep every "x" duration, continuing without user interaction.

the use would be when doing rowing intervals, to hear an audible beep every minute to switch pace, or whatever the interval i'm trying to do calls for.

a nice big display with stopwatch for running included would be a nice plus.

this place never lets me down with recommendations for stuff. any ideas?

SoCalSteve
02-06-2015, 05:13 PM
This comes to mind, but it may be a bit overkill... (http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0025VKW5K)

mgm777
02-06-2015, 05:17 PM
I have an Suunto Ambit2S and it is, by far, the best fitness watch I have ever owned. I use my Ambit for running, trail running, hiking, skiing, cycling(both road and mtb). I am not 100% certain it has the native interval functionality you are looking for. However, there are many free third party apps on www.movescount.com that you can download to your watch that will likely provide your preferred functionality. As an aside, my Suunto has been flawless and glitch free in the year or so that I have owned it. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the many Garmin fitness watches I have previously owned.

simonov
02-06-2015, 05:22 PM
My cheapo Timex does intervals. Not the most elegant interface, but it works for the gym fine. They have a few models with this feature, I think.

Mark McM
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Most Timex Triathlon models have a Countdown function that can be set to repeat. This sets a repeating interval mode, with the beeper chiming a few seconds at the end of every interval.

There are a variety of different versions of the Triathlon, some with big numbers, some with small numbers, and most are pretty inexpensive.

wallymann
02-06-2015, 05:34 PM
youre looking for a programmable timer/repeat function. i have one of these tech4o watches that'd do perfectly.

never use it...will sell for a $20 shipping inclusive, brand new battery, mint condition, cool metal bezel on the case:

The Proformer is an advanced chronograph watch with unique software that allows users to set personal target times for each lap in order to better maintain their pace. The Proformer's chronograph will display how far ahead or behind pace the user is based on the personal target times entered into the watch The Proformer also featuers a customizable interval timer for advanced training exercises.

Chronograph

Range: - 99hrs, 59min, 59.99secs
Resolution: - 1/100 sec
Laps: - 100 maximum
Target Times: - 50 maximum

Chrono Memory

Range: - 99hrs, 59min, 59.99secs
Records: - 1/100 sec
Laps: - 100 maximum
Max lap time
Min lap time
Average lap time

Timer

Linked Timer: - specified timer will automatically start at end of previous timer - 25 linked timers maximum
Repeat Timer: - same timer will repeat for specified number of times - 99 repeat times maximum
Single Timer: - one timer only will count to expiration
Countup Timer: - when the timer expires, a new timer will count up tp specified time - 99 hrs, 59 mins, 59 secs maximum countup time

Time / Date

Current Time: - 12/24 hr formats
Day of Week
Current Date
Alternate Time Zone: - User programmable
2 Daily Alarms: - User programmable
Hourly Chime: - on/off option

Water Resistance

Men's: - 100 ft / 30 m
Women's: - 150 ft / 50 m

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/583/product_image/thm/t360_cc5c56f96a8c50bc76f6b4aa882d5451.jpg?14232655 43

what i'm looking for is something for interval training. an audible beep every "x" duration, continuing without user interaction.

the use would be when doing rowing intervals, to hear an audible beep every minute to switch pace, or whatever the interval i'm trying to do calls for.

Louis
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM

If it's nice round number and you're using a Concept II rower you can just look at the PMxx display for the time. (At least that's what I used to do back before I messed up my elbow.) And you can set up intervals:

http://www.concept2.com/service/manuals

The image below is from the PM2 manual, which is pretty old, but that's what I know. I have to believe that the more recent ones are even better, since they are more powerful and can do a lot more.

Peter P.
02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Google "Interval Timer (https://www.google.com/search?q=interval+timer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=ssl#q=interval+timer&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=shop)" and you'll find many options out there for those needing workout timers. I've considered one, myself.

rugbysecondrow
02-07-2015, 08:15 AM
If it were just inside use, I would get an app that does that. I got the Timer app by Push Press, and I like it. I have used it for rowing on the concept two I have in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
02-07-2015, 08:56 AM

FUNNY-I bought one of these(mine was blue) in about 1982, and you could make it 'beep', lotsa runners had them, to make a certain 'pace', but you had to run with it next to your ear to hear it.

Anarchist
02-07-2015, 10:11 AM
I think this is the most useful one

http://timex.ca/watches/timex-ironman-50-lap-t5k689cs

3 different countdown timers, 3 different interval timers all of which can be set to repeat and all of which can be set to ring an alarm when done.

You usually find them for about $50.

93legendti
02-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Casio G Shock.

My phone has an app for interval timing...HIIT interval training timer