PDA

View Full Version : Century-rides?

The Doctor
12-16-2003, 11:51 PM
What fun/interesting/challenging/beautiful/etc century-rides have you ridden in the past or are you planning for the future?

As some of you might remember, I rode my first century (or rather a double metric century) earlier this fall and have some vague thoughts about my next adventures the coming years. So I wounder what type of events (for example century-rides) that can be fun to do.

The Doctor

M_A_Martin
12-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Fun? Challenging?

If its cold and wet, it sucks. If the weather is ok, its ok. If you ride with me, you have fun!

What: Columbus to Portsmouth Ohio and back 200 miles in two days. Mother's day weekend.

It is not the most scenic or most fun century I've ridden. It is challenging.
It gives you a good reason to be in good shape by early May. And sometimes it gives you really good reasons to buy gortex riding gear.

Jay Torborg
12-17-2003, 01:53 AM
A few that I really enjoyed this year are:

"America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" (I didn't name it) which is a loop around Lake Tahoe plus a minor side excursion to get the distance up to 100. It is truely a very beautiful ride and the SAG stops are fairly decent. http://www.bikethewest.com/ambrr.html

"RSVP" which stands for Ride from Seattle to Vancouver (B.C.) and Party. This is a two day ride (105mi/78mi) through some beautiful countryside in northwest Washington state and southwest British Columbia. Vancouver is a great city to visit if you haven't been there. For the past several years, RSVP has been scheduled to arrive in Vancouver on the day of the Festival of Lights, a great international fireworks exhibition in the harbor. http://www.cascade.org/EandR/RSVP.cfm

"Torture 10,000", a challenging century around Mt. Hood national park in Oregon, about 15 miles from Portland. It's not quite as scenic as some of the rides I've done around the northwest, but is fairly nice. I mostly liked this ride for the challenge, the above average SAG support, and the fact that it wasn't quite as mobbed as some of the other supported centuries I've done. Very cool jersey as well. http://www.pwtc.com/event.html

Enjoy,
Jay

D-Squared
12-17-2003, 01:57 AM
I've done three centuries by myself around the island of Okinawa this past month. The weather is wonderful and there are some pretty darn good climbs. Nothing in the states though. Although I'm hoping I'll be able to do the Assault on Mt Mitchell this year.

D2

Bruce K
12-17-2003, 05:15 AM
Hey Doctor;

Happy Holidays to you and "fly"!

My biggies this year were in 2 categories, charity rides and fun rides.

The fun rides were:

Essex County Heritage Ride (100k) a pretty ride around the North Shore of Boston in April (fair roads)

The Climb to the Clouds - various lengths with LOTS of climbing in Central Massachusetts (includes climbing Mt. Watchusett) in July

The Blazing Saddles Century 100 miles through Mass and NH with decent roads.

The Tri-State Seacoast Century 100 miles through NH, MA, and Maine in September. Pretty roads along the New England Seashore.

Charity Rides were the Pan-Mass Challenge (192 miles/2days) - Goes from Sturbridge (central MA) to PRovincetown (end of Cape Cod) raises money for Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Big fund raising minimum and hard to get in due to popularity.

Ride for the Roses - Austin Texas. Great weekend, great people, nice route, $100 minimu donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation/Peloton Project.

If you check places like Bicycling Magazine they are always listing events in their back pages.

If you and flydhest want to come and do one of the fun rides let me know and if they are on my calendar for this year you can come stay with us here and we can do one.

BBDave came to the Blazing Saddles last year and seemed to enjoy himself, but a warning, we have 3 cats, 1 dog, and 1 teenager.

BK

Kevin
12-17-2003, 05:30 AM
While it is not technically a century, only 94 miles, there is ride in May from the JFK library in Boston to the Kennedy compound on the cape. It is limited to about 300 riders. You get to ride with Greg LeMond and other celebrities. The ride is beautiful and takes you through the shore line of Mass. and Cape Cod. Because of the Kennedy's involvement the roads are almost closed to traffic. Last year I had to interact with only 2 cars on the entire 94 miles.

At the end of the ride there are private showers and massages if you want them. There is also a party on the lawn of the Kennedy compound (same spot where JFK's helicopter landed and the Kennedy's played football.) The food at the party consists of all the lobster and clams you can eat. The party is attended by various celebrities, including Willie Mays, Carl Lewis, David Caruso and many more. The party is also attended by the Kennedys, including Ted, who drives a 1970 Chevelle convertible, scary thought, and the Shrivers. After the party the Kennedys put you up in a local hotel for the night. The following morning they arrange transportation for you and your bike back to Boston.

The ride benefits a Kennedy charity. The minimium contribution is $1,500. If you raise $3,500 you get to attend a second party, a cocktail party, inside the Shriver home. The second party is also attended by celebrities and what we think were models, but we were not sure if you know what I mean. Those Kennedys know how to live.

Before you start to think that I wear a tuxedo on training rides with my Ottrott, let me tell you about the impression I made at last years event. When I got to the JFK library at 6:30 a.m., with the temperature at 39 degrees and the wind blowing at 20 mph, I quickly got out of my car, took the bike down, put on my cycling shoes, grabbed the bag with my change of clothes for the party and rode to the registration area. You will notice that I never said that I put my street shoes in my bag with the change of clothes. This becomes a very important part of the story.

After riding 94 miles I get to the Kennedy compound, where I am handed my bag with the change of clothes. After taking a shower and getting a massage, I open the bag to put on my street clothes. I discover that I have no shoes. I am forced to attend the clambake in my socks. Because the roads at the cape are made of gravel, and the party is on the lawn, my socks get really beaten up. They get covered with grass stains and the gravel is making holes in them. It is a real pretty site.

After spending the afternoon on the Kennedy lawn in my socks, I then attend the second party inside the home. At this party there are about a dozen private individuals and about 60 celebrities. I have no place to hide my socks. I am now walking through the Shriver home, and talking to Sen. Ted Kennedy in my socks. Mind you, these are no longer even normal socks. These are socks that have been through war. They have grass stains and gravel holes and I'm talking with the likes of Ted Kennedy and people I watch on television every week. Needless to say I won't be forgotten anytime soon.

I am not sure how anyone could have had more fun, and spent more time laughing at himself, on a centurty ride than I did. If anyone wants to join me next year, let me know. Just remember that shoes are optional.

Kevin

mikemets
12-17-2003, 07:07 AM
but that was last year.

Being new to cycling it was a lot of fun to hit some milestones in my first year.

In June, I completed my first Century, the "Hat City Cyclefest" in CT. It truly was one of the best days of my life considering where I came from health wise.

I did two subsequent Centuries, one being a "Hill Climbing Century" mapped out by one of our more nutty members and included over 10,000 ft. of climbing in 90 F heat.

I did my clubs annual ride the Golden Apple 125 that was really 130...boy that was a lot of peddaling for one day.

I'm toying with the idea of trying my clubs "Double Century" next June...yikes!

Happy Holidays to you all!

saab2000
12-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Before I moved to Switzerland I used to ride the Octoberfest Century in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I think it is no longer being organised, unfortunately. This was a very beautiful ride with the changing colors and it was a last blast before winter really starts to put a damper on the riding. I always got lucky with the weather for that ride, but late September/early October in Wisconsin can also be cool and wet.

Anyone from western Wisconsin knows that it is one of the best kept secrets in cycling in the US - at least from April through September. :D

Larry D
12-17-2003, 10:48 AM
The Mad River Valley Century in Vermont. It takes you through the valleys and up scenic Route 100 through the Granville Gulf Wilderness. A great ride, very well supported and it has a huge barbeque buffet dinner waiting for you at the end. It is usually the third Saturday in August. It is hosted by the Hide Away Inn and thier web site has more info.

pbbob
12-17-2003, 11:34 AM
sante fe century in may. nice scenery, fast sections, heartbreak hill a half mile of 25%, green chiles.

certified chiquita free.

MallyG
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
I did a Charity Ride from the North to South of Israel over five days, of which two of the days exceeded 100 miles, mainly on roads through desert. It included some fair climbs into and out of the Ramon Crater (hair-raising descents and scary cross-winds). However, my next big thing is the 2004 l'Etape de Tour, which is 150 miles in one day in July. From what I gather, we reach the big cols after 100 miles.

Kevan
12-17-2003, 02:15 PM
bring on the Bloomin' Metric in the spring, hosted by the Sound Cyclists. Starting in Norwalk/Darien in May, some 2-3 thousand cyclists take over the streets for one very pretty and well organized ride. I strongly recommend this romp which is also offered in the fall, but called the Harvest ride.

Brian
12-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Rode the Highlander in September with four friends. Incredible event with excellent on-course support. The ride starts at Bristol Mountain Ski Area just west of Canandaigua Lake in western NY. It was almost 101 miles with nearly 11,000 feet of climbing. The scenery was awesome, the roads were great and the climbs were some of the nastiest I've ever attempted. It was a fabulous experience. Check it our at http://www.highlandercycletour.com/

bcm119
12-17-2003, 02:43 PM
The two centuries I plan on this year are:
Solvang Century in early March. Beautiful southern California wine country ride, if you like that kind of landscape.

Cadillac Mountain Century on Mount Desert Island in Maine. Haven't done this one before but I'm hoping to get out there for it in October, it sounds great and has a nasty climb at the end.

I'd also recommend the Mad River century in Vermont.

Len J
12-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Savage Century out of Newark Del in Late October. Tough, great crowd, great roads, great time of year.

Civil War Century run by Baltimore Bike Club in September. Through 3 Civil War Battlefields. 4 good climbs.

Mountains of Misery In West Virginia in May See http://www.mountainsofmisery.com/2002/MoM.htm

103 miles, 10,000 ft of climbing finishing with a 5 mile Catagory 1 climb.

Len

The Doctor
12-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Wow, sounds like there are a lot of great rides waiting out there. Guess I have to start the training as soon as possible. I just have to survive the holiday-food intake and keep it at a reasonable level.

Cheers and :)

The Doctor

Len J
12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Dr:

......or you can use the excess food intake over the holidays as an excuse to ride more. What ever works.

Len

djg
12-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Close to DC I really like the Civil War Century--it starts in Thurmont, Maryland, which is just up 270/15, about an hour from town. The ride takes in some nice country roads, some good climbs (a long one to start), and various civil war battlefields.

Closer still is the Reston Century, which generally involves some nice Virginia roads and the PPTC Century.

sellsworth
12-18-2003, 10:59 PM
pbbob:

1/2 at 25%?!?! Sounds great. Just where is that climb? I can't make that century but I'd love to try the climb.

RDP
12-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Upon moving to the midwest (Kansas) from Texas, I observed that Kanas centuries/rides had 'rolling' or ride as you arrive starts whereas in Texas, we had mass starts or staggered group starts.

In Texas, rides were treated more like social events w/ music, vendors, linked events whereas in Kansas, you just show up and do your time in the saddle and then go home. Now, I have not participated in every Kansas ride but it seems consistently the same in the ones I have ridden. I kind of miss the Texas 'style' century...and this was from 'little' rides in Waco to mega-events like "Ride for the Roses."

Just a cultural observation but I'm interested to hear from other parts of the country on how century rides are put together in the sense of ride ambiance. It must be relative to local resources, critical mass of volunteers, etc. This is no slam on Kansas...the riding is great, clubs are the best...Some of the descriptions already provided seem more in tune with what I remember of Tejas rather than mere 'just get your training miles type of events' that I have experienced as of late.

Kevin
12-19-2003, 05:25 AM
RDP,

I have experienced both types of starts in New York. Similiar to you, I enjoy the single start and the resulting social scene. You certainly get to meet more people that way.

Kevin

mfb1001
12-19-2003, 07:37 AM
I've been on the Light house century out of SLO, which is really nice, Terra Bella out of San Jose, I'm trying the Aiken century this year, Aiken, SC. They do a clover leaf type. From what I understand it's 4 25 milers that start and end in the same spot, sounds like it should be fun.

pbbob
12-19-2003, 09:25 AM
sellsworth, hi, the hill is about 33 miles into the ride and it generally marks the end of the hilly section. it can also be reached out of abq out old 66. I ride as much as I can then walk [since I am usually overgeared] the rest using it as a sort of rest break. that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

certified chiquita free.