PDA

View Full Version : Enve vs. Moots folk

2wheelwill
02-05-2015, 10:55 PM
I recently purchased a new to me Moots frame and now trying to decide between an Enve fork or a standard Moots fork. I like the aesthetics of the Moots (ti colored to match frame) but don't know much about the fork itself. Any suggestions/intel would be appreciated. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idris Icabod
02-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Doesn't Enve make the Moots fork? I kinda like the look of the Enve fork over the Moots but I'm sure both are absolutely top notch, so for me it is all about which you like best. Also looks like the Enve is about $80 cheaper. I've got a Reynolds on my Moots but now I'm hankering for a new fork (I'd happily take either)

Hepmike
02-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Can't compare them for you, but I was in the same boat 6 months ago for my Vamoots. I went Enve cuz I figured the performance would be similar. Couldnt rationalize the price difference just for a matchy appearance.
I've been very happy with the Enve.

hummus_aquinas
02-05-2015, 11:57 PM
You should just get whichever fork looks the best.

jtakeda
02-06-2015, 12:00 AM

+1. How many times do you plan on switching out the fork in the next lets say 5 years?

Whatever amount you're going to save on the cheaper fork (not sure which is more) is going to be inconsequential when you think about how long its going to be on the bike.

beeatnik
02-06-2015, 12:34 AM
ENVE fork

abalone
02-06-2015, 12:58 AM
The fine folks at Enve are always available to answer questions and are very friendly. Some very nice people there and I'm sure the folks at Moots are good too from what I hear. :)

happycampyer
02-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Doesn't Enve make the Moots fork? I kinda like the look of the Enve fork over the Moots but I'm sure both are absolutely top notch, so for me it is all about which you like best. Also looks like the Enve is about $80 cheaper. I've got a Reynolds on my Moots but now I'm hankering for a new fork (I'd happily take either)

My understanding is that Moots has the forks made for them by the same manufacturer in Taiwan that fabricates Enve's forks (among many others), but the forks are not designed by Enve.

oldpotatoe
02-06-2015, 05:59 AM
My understanding is that Moots has the forks made for them by the same manufacturer in Taiwan that fabricates Enve's forks (among many others), but the forks are not designed by Enve.

Correct and a 'blind' test wold show the 'performance' would be very similar. I'd say do the one that looks best to the OP.

gearguywb
02-06-2015, 06:15 AM
I don't think you will go wrong either way

kramnnim
02-06-2015, 06:49 AM
The Enve 1.0 is (supposedly) made in the US, if that makes a difference.

Vamoots58
02-06-2015, 07:07 AM
you cant go wrong wither way. I have two Moots road bikes (Vamoots CR & Routt 45), both with ENVE forks. For the Vamoots I bought an ENVE 1.0 and the Routt comes spec'd from Moots with an ENVE Tapered Cross fork. I went with ENVE for the CR because it was a little lighter and according to the team ENVE, a little more compliant than most other carbon offerings. Pretty sure ENVE does not make the forks for Moots, Alpha Q used to, but again, its no longer them. Aesthitically, I like the black carbon fork with the Ti frame (also using an ENVE carbon seat post on both). Here's to great problems to have in terms of tough decisions!!

rwerkudara
02-06-2015, 08:23 AM

+1. Not a big fan of the ENVE logo, but if it matches your seatpost/stem it balances out. I say go for the moots fork and if possible also get the moots post/stem.

bluesea
02-06-2015, 08:42 AM
I like the Moots fork. Its silver not ti colored, and has 3mm longer A2C than the Enve. The Ouzo Pro btw, is 5mm longer than Enve.

When and if I do a Moots pt II, I'll probably send the Moots fork to Craig Ryan @ Foresta, for a paint/decal strip down, and matte clear finish.

tumbler
02-06-2015, 09:13 AM
I would go with the Moots. Nothing wrong with ENVE (I ride one), but you won't notice a difference between the two and the painted Moots just looks better. $80 is pretty insignificant within the cost of a new Moots.

thegunner
02-06-2015, 09:19 AM
+1. Not a big fan of the ENVE logo, but if it matches your seatpost/stem it balances out. I say go for the moots fork and if possible also get the moots post/stem.

moots fork. because that's how i got it from rich haha.

radsmd
02-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Just made this same decision for my vamoots, replacing a Ouzo pro. Went with the moots since it just looks "right". Ended up getting sent an RSL fork instead of the regular moots, considered sending it back , but decided to put it in anyways. Maiden voyage this weekend.

Can't go wrong with either.

SoCalSteve
02-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Just made this same decision for my vamoots, replacing a Ouzo pro. Went with the moots since it just looks "right". Ended up getting sent an RSL fork instead of the regular moots, considered sending it back , but decided to put it in anyways. Maiden voyage this weekend.

Can't go wrong with either.

Why would you send back the RSL fork? It's amazing! Seriously...:no:

SoCalSteve
02-06-2015, 09:48 AM

This (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1695408&postcount=1)....:beer:

pdmtong
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
RSL fork aesthetic is polarizing. I happen to like it. Have one on my CR and it tracks great downhill at speed and looks great. No comfort issues at 172#s.

As bling as the edge/enve products are I would always go for the moots fork on a moots. It's a matter of the carpet matching the drapes nothing ties the whole aesthetic like a painted to match fork

If you do go enve get the black out stickers from the forumite who cuts them

2wheelwill
02-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the input - comforting to know they're close enough that I can just go with the fork that looks better. Super excited to finally own a Moots. I hope the ride matches the hype....and price!

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radsmd
02-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Why would you send back the RSL fork? It's amazing! Seriously...:no:

Heard some opinions that the RSL fork would be too stiff and not a good match for the vamoots. they pretty much said that it would "ruin the ride", but I don't think it will be that dramatic. Can't wait to ride it with the new fork this weekend. It really does look like a proper Moots now compared to when it had the Ouzo pro on it.

pinoymamba
02-06-2015, 01:29 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/14625539225_4ac84a0bf7_z_d.jpg

i went with an edge/enve fork.

donevwil
02-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Why do so many used Moots frames sell without a fork ?

beeatnik
02-06-2015, 01:41 PM
They ride better with the ENVE fork, look better with the Moots fork.

Dave Ferris
02-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Was on Jim Kish's FB page and he is shrinking the Enve decal/logo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kish-Fabrication/112374302177699
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1947805_768914889856967_1368728885418834768_n.jpg? oh=f50737da7c2e3dcfba49201f61e4e8c2&oe=5559D376

OT- really digging those military green steel frames of his in stock sizes for $1700.

BobbyJones
02-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Where does this come from?

SoCalSteve
02-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Huh?

dee-why
02-07-2015, 04:27 PM
I have an Enve fork on a Vamoots SL and a Moots fork on a Compact SL. I can't tell the difference between the two. I'd say go for "the look" you want. Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with both forks and won't buy another Moots or Enve fork to replace the current one on either bike.

If it adds any weight to your decision, you can plan the fork around your stem/post combo to match.

As for the RSL fork (mine is the alpha Q version), it's another level of stiffness and compliments the RSL frame extremely well. I can't imagine the ride quality on a different frame.

Good luck and post pix after it's built up!!

blessthismess
02-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Personally I like the contrasting look of the ENVE fork with the Ti color of the Moots, but thats just me.

tuscanyswe
02-07-2015, 04:46 PM
This previously had an easton ec90 with no logos on it which i preferred to both this enve and the moots fork. I have black decals to cover the white enve logo but cant seem to be bothered atm, maybe im getting "cured" from my sickness .)

I cant say i like the ride better on the enve than the previous easton, infact i cant say i notice a difference at all.

If i were to pick a fork id go with enve over moots, guess thats what i did anyways so im sticking to it! cant go wrong with either imo..

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7396/15830443833_ef7ccff029_b.jpg

Dromen
02-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Here is one moots employee's opinion when making my decision on Px Disc last year.....

"Same factory. Slightly different layup. The Enve is tapered (also more
$) while ours is straight 1 1/8 steerer.

Of course, this is one man's opinion and I'm going to give you the overall
Moots take on this.

Our road bikes are tuned and designed around a 1 1/8" steerer. The front
stiffness and compliancy matches the rear much better. According to some
around here, the tapered fork makes the front too stiff for general riding
and doesn't match the compliancy of the rear as well (it makes the rear end
seem flexy). However, for Crit racing a tapered fork is ideal.

On our CX bikes - both the Psychlo X RSL and the Psychlo X, we have tuned
the front to work with a tapered and straight steerer. If I were to be
building up a bike with canti brakes, I'd stick to a 1 1/8" moots steerer. If
disc, there isn't a decision to be made. Tapered enve is the only way to go."

EA120711
02-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Just recently picked up a vamoots with a matching fork and was coming off of an a custom steel frame with an Enve fork. Maybe it's me but I cant tell the difference between the 2 ..both ride great in my opinion .

pzung
02-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Hi, great choice in bike frames. Can't go wrong with a Moots frame.

My personal decision on the fork hinges more on the aesthetics more than performance. Go with whichever one looks best to you.

On the fork, please make sure you have the correct rake (50,45, or 40mm) to your frame. The Moots website has recommendation on the rake based on the frame size.

The fork is made in the same factory as the ENVE forks. All Moots forks (Road and RSL) are straight gauge 1 1/8". If your frame comes with 44mm HT, then your decision is a little more complicated since you have a choice of Moots/ENVE straight 1 1/8" or ENVE 1 1/4" or even 1 1/2" tapered 2.0 forks.

Hope this helps.