PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Corsa Clincher Delamination

Uncle Jam's Army
02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Here are two pictures of some Veloflex Corsa Clinchers from today, after an aborted ride. I noticed a bumpy ride on a smooth road and stopped to check what was causing it. I normally check the tires when I pump them up with air, which is every two or three rides. Last time was before yesterday's ride.

I normally expect to get about 1100-1300 miles out of these and Vittoria Corsa CX's, and these had about 950 miles on them. What I don't expect is for them to delaminate like this on both sides and cause what I perceive is a safety hazard. Luckily, I noticed the bumpy ride in the first mile and a half, and was able to turn around. I had planned on doing some sharp short hills and descents and am glad I didn't do the descents after discovering this.

Anybody else experience this with their tires after 950 miles?

OtayBW
02-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Geez - that's impressive. I ride Vittoria Corsa CXs also and never had any problem other than treadwear issues. I'm on my first set of Veloflex Master's right now, though. Will keep an eye on them...

JonB
02-05-2015, 08:09 PM
I had that happen to some Veloflex clinchers about 8 years ago. I don't recall what type, but I chalked it up to the Florida humidity and not much use. I just pitched 'em and moved on.

bjf
02-05-2015, 08:11 PM
I had a pair of Specialized tires that came on a Ruby delaminate on me. The first one developed a bubble between the casing and the tread during a ride. Once I determined that it was not the tube pushing through the casing (with the assistance of a very kind rider who stopped to help me) I made a cut into the bubble from the tread side and rode home. The second one had the courtesy to delaminate at home. These may have been cheapo tires, but I don't buy Specialized at all any more.

b021c
02-05-2015, 08:22 PM
I had a batch of Veloflex clinchers that randomly did this - maybe 3-4 of them. They didn't last long but I enjoyed them while they did. I'll look around to see if I still have one of the damaged tires and post a pic.

rustychisel
02-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Never seen that before.

OP, can you confirm what appears to be hits or scratches on the rims is only photographic artefact?

Uncle Jam's Army
02-05-2015, 09:22 PM
The rims are clean. That's just the photograph. Again, the delam is on both sides of the rear tire.

lhuerta
02-05-2015, 11:38 PM
...r u certain ur brake shoes aren't set too high and biting into ur sidewall under heavy braking?

oldpotatoe
02-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Here are two pictures of some Veloflex Corsa Clinchers from today, after an aborted ride. I noticed a bumpy ride on a smooth road and stopped to check what was causing it. I normally check the tires when I pump them up with air, which is every two or three rides. Last time was before yesterday's ride.

I normally expect to get about 1100-1300 miles out of these and Vittoria Corsa CX's, and these had about 950 miles on them. What I don't expect is for them to delaminate like this on both sides and cause what I perceive is a safety hazard. Luckily, I noticed the bumpy ride in the first mile and a half, and was able to turn around. I had planned on doing some sharp short hills and descents and am glad I didn't do the descents after discovering this.

Anybody else experience this with their tires after 950 miles?

Seen that a few times after an impact there. Broke some 'threads' of the casing. It appears you have a bit of 'something' on the rim right there(?).

sjees
02-07-2015, 04:29 AM
i had the same 'problem' with mine Veloflex Corsa,it was because of the carbon rims. I contacted Veloflex about this and they said it was because of the 'hooked bead' of carbon rims.(if i understand it correctly).
As far as i can see you also run them at carbon rims.
At the Veloflex package/box is the warning do not use them at carbon rims.This is why.

JLP
02-07-2015, 12:20 PM
I had that happen with a Grand Bois 32. Busted threads.

Nice wheels.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
i had the same 'problem' with mine Veloflex Corsa,it was because of the carbon rims. I contacted Veloflex about this and they said it was because of the 'hooked bead' of carbon rims.(if i understand it correctly).
At the Veloflex package/box is the warning do not use them at carbon rims.This is why.

Well I'll be damned. Here's the answer. I had forgotten all about this. Thank you.

02-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Those photos don't really look like delamination, more like a cut sidewall. That can conceivably happen with some cheap import carbon rims that aren't finished properly (which all the tire manufacturers are warning about now), but it can also happen if your brake block touches the tire at that point because of a slight irregularity in the rim and the block cuts through the casing. It's hard to tell from these photos. One can also get an extended version of a snakebite -- a short cut in the casing -- due to the usual.

b021c
02-14-2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks for this - I hadn't noticed the warning truthfully. I've been using them on 303s so back to Vittoria for training.

gospastic
02-18-2015, 08:12 AM
On sale for $30 each at WBW right now

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/veloflex-corsa-clincher-road-tire