PDA

View Full Version : Source for Campy 10 Index Gear

JasonF
02-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Me: Hi, I need a rear derailleur cable for my Record 10 levers
LBS: Here's an aftermarket cable that fits just fine.
Me: Are you sure? I've never run anything but genuine Campy parts
LBS: (looking exasperated). Yes, like I said, it will work

Well it didn't work well and now the cable end is jammed into the index gear and no amount of persuasion will get it out. I've looked online for the replacement part and haven't had any luck: the usual vendors (e.g. Branford Bike) are out of stock. According to Branford Bike, to get the index gear you need to buy the entire "pro kit" which at $140 is beginning to tread on just buying an entire new right shifter for not much more.

Is there a way to salvage this shifter? Is there someone on the forum that rebuilds these things and has the part on hand?

thirdgenbird
02-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Have you tried drilling it out? I've done it on a downtube shifter.

JasonF
02-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Have you tried drilling it out? I've done it on a downtube shifter.

I thought about that, but the cable end, being too big, crushed the last couple teeth of the gear. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

carpediemracing
02-05-2015, 09:04 AM
I haven't gotten it that mangled but you can get it out. Combination of dental pick type tool (not sure where I bought it, probably car parts place), lube (stuff for frozen bolts), etc. And some time. You'll be surprised at how easily it comes out once you get it loose.

You'll probably have to cut a bunch of the cable strands but don't do it until you loosen the head. I've used the cable strands to push the head out, I only cut them when the flared strands become an obstacle in pulling the head out. Plus by then I can grab the head with pliers.

I cut a slot across the head and used a small screwdriver (think tiny screwdriver kit for electronics or eyeglasses) to turn the head in the shifter piece. Once you break that friction-seal it'll move much more easily.

I've done this while the shifter was still on the bar, just lifted the hood.

Going forward you can use a normal cable, just file down the head a touch. Test the fit by putting the head in backward, i.e. from the front in the picture above. If it slips in easily (and more importantly, slips out easily) then you're good. Turn the cable around and feed it through. I buy 1.1 mm cable, less friction than the 1.2 mm cable, at least in the Nokons I use.

Just for insurance I use anti seize or grease between the cable head and the shifter.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

pbarry
02-05-2015, 09:04 AM
PM Old Potatoe.

nighthawk
02-05-2015, 09:16 AM
The rebuild is pretty straightforward. Replace the G springs and carrier while you are at it. Parts are available from Vecchios in Boulder. Branford in Seattle used to have them, maybe still do, but I always get 'em from Vecchios.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I thought about that, but the cable end, being too big, crushed the last couple teeth of the gear. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I've taken a small section of spoke, sharpened one end, place disc in vice and tap it out. 100% success so far. Btw Vecchio's has the disc and no BS 'pro kit' crappola.

nighthawk
02-05-2015, 09:47 AM
I've taken a small section of spoke, sharpened one end, place disc in vice and tap it out. 100% success so far. Btw Vecchio's has the disc and no BS 'pro kit' crappola.

I just checked branfords site... Only way to get the index gear is to buy the "pro kit". Ugh. Big time crappola.