PDA

View Full Version : Rainlegs?

JAllen
02-05-2015, 08:02 AM
So believe or not but in the 5 or so years I've been commuting by bike here in Portland I haven't had a pair of rain pants. This is due in part to the fact that I'm a year round shorts wearer and the idea of wearing pants while doing anything remotely physical makes me panic. I tend to heat up very quickly. That being said... I'm tired of have a wet crotch/thighs during fall through spring. Does anyone have any experience with Rainlegs? I'm really attracted to the idea of something that is open everywhere except for where the rain is going to be contacting.

guido
02-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I tend to overheat badly in long rain pants. I don't have the problem with Rainlegs. They keep me much more comfortable on long rainy rides.... They are kind of fiddly though...

gasman
02-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I've had a pair for years. The fastening system is a little funny with elastic straps around the back. They do stay on well though and do a very good job of protecting your thighs and crotch from getting wet. I only us them with heavy rain as I also tend to get too warm like you. I don't wear shorts though like you.
I would buy them again.

Limonade
02-05-2015, 08:31 AM
chaps for bicycles! who knew....:banana:

dekindy
02-05-2015, 09:03 AM
I have wanted windproof chaps for Winter riding so that I can wear my regular bibs with leg warmers. This looks like it would work and one reviewer said that he used them for that. What do you think?

gasman
02-05-2015, 10:39 AM
They do a good job keeping your thighs warm. They are a bit fiddely but work well. I only use them though in heavy rain.

JAllen
02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
From the responses it sounds like it's a good piece of rain attire to have. I think I'll give them a go soon.

Dead Man
02-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Wow... viable option for sure.

I am the same as you.... as a Portland rain rider, I just get wet. I wore eVent rain pants at first, but they were stifling and I just got soaked in sweat instead of rain. I will do leggings when its really cold and wet, and I don't notice a problem with over-heating because they're soaked completely through and the water itself keeps you cool.... but that obviously does nothing for you if your ultimate goal is to stay drier.

JAllen
02-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Wow... viable option for sure.

I am the same as you.... as a Portland rain rider, I just get wet. I wore eVent rain pants at first, but they were stifling and I just got soaked in sweat instead of rain. I will do leggings when its really cold and wet, and I don't notice a problem with over-heating because they're soaked completely through and the water itself keeps you cool.... but that obviously does nothing for you if your ultimate goal is to stay drier.

Yeah I have a couple of full length wool tights that I'll throw on under my shorts for when it gets to almost freezing and below. But you're right about resigning yourself to getting wet. It's bound to happen... just comes with the territory.

Likes2ridefar
02-05-2015, 02:34 PM
nevermind!:)

JAllen
02-05-2015, 02:39 PM
fenders?
I have full fenders on both front and rear wheels. The rain is actually what is getting me wet, not the accumulated water on the ground. When I started commuting in that summer I didn't think about it. Trust me, when winter came, they were immediately purchased and installed.

Likes2ridefar
02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
yes, sorry i realized after the fact you probably had fenders.

I commuted year round in NYC for a number of years and never really found a great method to keep the rain off without overheating.

one thing that did help was wearing a very thin baselayer underneath waterproof pants. I seemed to sweat less then. or perhaps it allowed the water to transfer better.

i also found softshell materials like powershield that arent truly waterproof to be enough for shedding the water and staying dry to mostly dry and not overheating as much.

KidWok
02-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm on my second pair. They work well.

Tai

JAllen
02-06-2015, 10:51 PM
yes, sorry i realized after the fact you probably had fenders.

I commuted year round in NYC for a number of years and never really found a great method to keep the rain off without overheating.

one thing that did help was wearing a very thin baselayer underneath waterproof pants. I seemed to sweat less then. or perhaps it allowed the water to transfer better.

i also found softshell materials like powershield that arent truly waterproof to be enough for shedding the water and staying dry to mostly dry and not overheating as much.
How far was your commute at that time?

JAllen
02-06-2015, 10:53 PM
I'm on my second pair. They work well.

Tai
Nice! How long did they last?

Kirk007
02-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Haven't tried rain chaps, but I just bought a pair of Specialized Deflection pants for riding in heavy rain in Seattle. 40 degrees and cold rain is a tough one on a long commute for me. They are like a goretex - wind and water resistant but not "waterproof" like most rain pants. They were good this morning and I think will be good in the low to mid 40s, maybe higher without getting too hot.

They were too toasty this afternoon with shorts and knee warmers underneath when it got up to 57, the sun came out and I needed to ride hard to get home for a meeting. But if your heavy rain days include low temps, I think they're worth a look. The heavy rains we've been having soak through regular tights pretty quick, and the nanoflex leg warmers etc. just don't cut it on wet 40 degrees for me.

NateM
02-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I've had a pair for over 5 yrs and they work well.Yes the straps are a little fiddly as stated but keep them on. I have survived my hour commute many times in heavy summer thunderstorms with no more than damp thighs from sweating.Way better than any rain pants,(comparing them to Showers Pass full length vented pants)