PDA

View Full Version : Can I mix Stans and Orange Sealant

cetuximab
02-05-2015, 06:57 AM
I bought a mtn bike off ebay. I do not know which sealant is in the tubeless setup. I imaging the sealant in there is Stans. I am being lazy. I was just going to open the valve core and add sealant. Or should I pop a bead and check first.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2015, 07:03 AM
I bought a mtn bike off ebay. I do not know which sealant is in the tubeless setup. I imaging the sealant in there is Stans. I am being lazy. I was just going to open the valve core and add sealant. Or should I pop a bead and check first.

I'd check to see if there is a lumpy sealant 'animal' in there first. A glump of dried sealant that looks like a small critter or even a sea sponge. Clean out old, Then add Orange Seal, go ride.

Rob1519
02-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Pop the bead and replace the sealant with what you want. Sealant has a useful lifespan and eventually needs replacing. Do you know how long the current fluid has been in there?

Dromen
05-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Dont think the question was answered here.

"Can I mix Stans and Orange Seal?"

ref - Stans from the LBS in tires, big bottle of orange seal on the shelf, can i replentish with the OS or start from scratch?

Idris Icabod
05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I do. I think Orange seal is too clumpy and Stan's too runny but the mixture (it's a trade secret the exact ratio) is just right! I'm using carbon wheels and so far they haven't exploded.

celeste
05-23-2017, 10:18 AM
I'd be worried about some off-gassing from some chemical interactions at higher temperatures.

Dromen
05-23-2017, 10:20 AM
II,
Interesting on the consistency thing. In your experience/opinion, have they sealed properly when obvious sealing was needed?

Bentley
05-23-2017, 10:32 AM
I would not mix unless you absolutely know the chemical formulation. Stans tends to be a "strong" base, noted because of the corrosion on aluminum anodized wheels. Orange Seal not so much in my experience. You could have a chemical reaction and end up ruining the tire (probably not highly likely) but unless you know for sure, I would not do it. Not that big a deal to remove the tire and clean up the mess and start new.

Idris Icabod
05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
I would not mix unless you absolutely know the chemical formulation. Stans tends to be a "strong" base, noted because of the corrosion on aluminum anodized wheels. Orange Seal not so much in my experience. You could have a chemical reaction and end up ruining the tire (probably not highly likely) but unless you know for sure, I would not do it. Not that big a deal to remove the tire and clean up the mess and start new.

I think Stan's took out the ammonia and in my opinion didn't seal as well. I'm pretty skeptical of a chemical reaction between the two. They are essentially a suspension of latex, hardly the most reactive entity although I must admit I have limited experience in the tyre sealant arena but I'm a Ph.D. organic chemist and am willing to take the risk!

II,
Interesting on the consistency thing. In your experience/opinion, have they sealed properly when obvious sealing was needed?

I ride in AZ where everything is covered in thorns and have never had a problem with sealing. I get complacent replacing sealant and carry a small bottle of Stan's on the trail. If the tyre doesn't seal it is generally because sealant has dried so I squirt in the bottle and so far so good.

bitt3n
05-23-2017, 11:06 AM

email the seller

Dromen
05-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Stan said don't do it with no explanation. Answer i would expect from the producer. Waiting on OS answer.

drewellison
05-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Let's rephrase the question ... Can I mix Shimano and Campy?

All the answers apply.
- spontaneous combustion
- off gassing
- little balls of ...
- manufacturer says don't do it.
- friends don't let friends ... :no:

ofcounsel
05-23-2017, 03:28 PM
I replenish my tires every couple of months. I use whatever is in my garage at the time. Sometimes it's Orange Seal, sometimes it's Stans. I presume I've mixed them several times on each of my bikes (4 MTBs and 1 road bike, all run tubeless). I don't get flats, so I guess it's ok to mix.

Al

jruhlen1980
05-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Let's rephrase the question ... Can I mix Shimano and Campy?

All the answers apply.
- spontaneous combustion
- off gassing
- little balls of ...
- manufacturer says don't do it.
- friends don't let friends ... :no:

What's SRAM in this scenario? Vittoria Pit Stop?

SlowPokePete
05-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I replenish my tires every couple of months. I use whatever is in my garage at the time. Sometimes it's Orange Seal, sometimes it's Stans. I presume I've mixed them several times on each of my bikes (4 MTBs and 1 road bike, all run tubeless). I don't get flats, so I guess it's ok to mix.

Al

There ya go.

SPP

Dromen
05-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Same from Orange Seal. In a pinch to get home or short time frame but remount a cleaned tire and refill with new seal at first opportunity.