PDA

View Full Version : Gravel-grinding with Tom Ritchey (a video vignette)

Pastashop
02-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Stumbled across this:

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2014/gravel-riding-with-tom-ritchey/

msl819
02-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Tom Ritchey is one guy who I would like to have the privilege to meet. I bet a day on the bike with him would be outstanding, and difficult to keep up!

Vamoots58
02-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Thank you - about 30 inches of snow in the last 8 days, so this was a great morale boost for a Thursday morning!!

abalone
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Fantastic video. One minor thing though...Tom Ritchey, um. Where is your helmet? Just saying.

weisan
02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Wait abalone pal, did you not see it?!

Tom was product testing a new helmet he planned to roll out sometime soon. It looks pretty stylish to me.

bobswire
02-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll be sharing that!

zennmotion
02-05-2015, 07:00 PM
The guy who could ride anything he wants- 9 speed (DA?) plastic bottle cage, plain jane wheels, and a frame that's seen some beat downs. And (from the man himself in a long phone conversation I had with him a few years back) "I don't spend much time on the computer". He can't/won't type with a keyboard, you won't find him wasting time in here or anywhere else in virtual-land.

choke
02-05-2015, 08:54 PM
While at NAHBS in Denver, on Sunday morning I came out of the hotel and was walking behind two 20ish men who were obviously on their way to the show. At the corner we met a couple coming from the other direction; it was Tom and his wife. The two I was behind had no clue and walked right on past them. I caught up with Tom and said "Good morning. I had to laugh, they had no idea who you are." He just smiled and said something like "I like it that way." We chatted the rest of the way to the show with him asking most of the questions, what I rode, where I lived, etc. Needless to say that was my highlight of the day.

Duende
02-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Looks like that was his new carbon breakaway he was riding. Nice!

Dr Luxurious
02-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Fantastic video. One minor thing though...Tom Ritchey, um. Where is your helmet? Just saying.

It's his head. His choice.
I don't wear them, either (unless I have to). Can't stand them.

mtechnica
02-05-2015, 09:39 PM
He looks like a smooth rider

charliedid
02-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Tom rides what he sells.

abalone
02-06-2015, 01:22 AM
It's his head. His choice.
I don't wear them, either (unless I have to). Can't stand them.

Ok, but I have seen a few vids of Tom Ritchey riding around and he literally NEVER wears a helmet. Like ever. If you do a search on Youtube for Tom Ritchey videos, he never erever wears a helmet. Go ahead. Try it. There is even a video of him on a group ride through some dirt road trail thing, and back to the road, and everybody has a helmet on except for Tom.

Isn't it weird that he never wears a helmet?

Dead Man
02-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Isn't it weird that he never wears a helmet?

Is it weird that I never wear a helmet, unless racing (required)?

You generally are a helmet wearer or you're not... do you know people that sometime do and sometimes dont?

Maybe it's time for another helmet thread. I think helmet threads are like fasting - has a purging/cleansing effect. It's kind of like an enema for your soul.

beeatnik
02-06-2015, 01:41 AM
I like Tom's style.

Dude knows how to climb.

Dr Luxurious
02-06-2015, 08:50 AM
if you follow the "ride report" link you'll get

Some of those people have made their fortune in entertainment. As much as they love their followers, they still like to enjoy some alone time. Star Hill Road crosses one of those entertainer’s property and rest assured, you are not welcome. The last thing they want to see is some grimy bike riders using their roads.

LOL! Yep, we know who that is. And yeah, stay clear of the Old Man.

abalone
02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Is it weird that I never wear a helmet, unless racing (required)?

You generally are a helmet wearer or you're not... do you know people that sometime do and sometimes dont?

Maybe it's time for another helmet thread. I think helmet threads are like fasting - has a purging/cleansing effect. It's kind of like an enema for your soul.

I don't know if it's weird or not in your case, but it does seem a little bit odd that you wouldn't wear your helmet unless racing. What's the point? You're not going to get hit by a car when racing. And why wouldn't you want to train with a helmet if you have to use it anyway in a race? I used to know of people that rode without helmets, but most of them now do.

Lewis Moon
02-06-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't know if it's weird or not in your case, but it does seem a little bit odd that you wouldn't wear your helmet unless racing. What's the point? You're not going to get hit by a car when racing. And why wouldn't you want to train with a helmet if you have to use it anyway in a race? I used to know of people that rode without helmets, but most of them now do.

We're treading into the realm of religion here. Here there be dragons.

Anarchist
02-06-2015, 10:36 AM

It's his business, not yours.

Just like it's my business whether I wear one or not.

His business.

abalone
02-06-2015, 11:34 AM
It's his business, not yours.

Just like it's my business whether I wear one or not.

His business.

Yeah, I know that. I'm ok with there not being a law to enforce helmet use on people. Its just weird that a guy like Tom Ritchey would not wear one, at least in all these videos on the internet. There are people out there that could be watching him ride without a helmet. That's all. If he wants to wear one or not it's his business, but why would he go about not wearing one in the videos and hurt his own business is the oddity.

Anarchist
02-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I know that. I'm ok with there not being a law to enforce helmet use on people. Its just weird that a guy like Tom Ritchey would not wear one, at least in all these videos on the internet. There are people out there that could be watching him ride without a helmet. That's all. If he wants to wear one or not it's his business, but why would he go about not wearing one in the videos and hurt his own business is the oddity.

How on earth do you suppose his not wearing a helmet is "hurting" his business??

FlashUNC
02-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Met Tom at NAHBS last year in the Ritchey booth. Talked to him a bit about his preferred tire size for MTBs (650b) and my then-impending move to the East Bay. His reaction, at least half joking, "The riding over there isn't really all that great. You've really got to get over to Marin for the good stuff."

Great guy.

choke
02-06-2015, 11:44 AM
There are people out there that could be watching him ride without a helmet.The horror!! :eek:

Dead Man
02-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Why the crap would anyone care?

abalone
02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
All I'm saying is that when you see any video of Tom Ritchey riding around its without a helmet. Its fine if that is his style. And really, I don't know why some people are getting all worked up about it. I'm on your side! I think that a rider has a choice, and should have a choice and the freedom to choose if they want to wear a helmet.

The thing is that there are people out there watching these videos, and the first thing they are going to see is that the guy that owns the company is riding around helmet-less. That's all. It can't be good for business. I mean, if you have a cycling company you are trying to promote the great aspects of riding bikes. Fun, fitness, and safety. So, I'm just saying it is weird that he'd be out there promoting his brand and company and be riding on these videos without a helmet. Even if these are not promo vids, people see that stuff.

JAllen
02-06-2015, 12:42 PM
All I'm saying is that when you see any video of Tom Ritchey riding around its without a helmet. Its fine if that is his style. And really, I don't know why some people are getting all worked up about it. I'm on your side! I think that a rider has a choice, and should have a choice and the freedom to choose if they want to wear a helmet.

The thing is that there are people out there watching these videos, and the first thing they are going to see is that the guy that owns the company is riding around helmet-less. That's all. It can't be good for business. I mean, if you have a cycling company you are trying to promote the great aspects of riding bikes. Fun, fitness, and safety. So, I'm just saying it is weird that he'd be out there promoting his brand and company and be riding on these videos without a helmet. Even if these are not promo vids, people see that stuff.
I understand that you agree with the freedom of choice and this comment isn't trying to come across as bashing, but I'm not getting the connection you are. I understand that a figure such as him riding without a helmet might offend people or cause them to think him too reckless to be a good business owner, but I think that would be a minority and an extreme thinking one at that. Honestly the video struck me as carefree but without compromise. The guy is clearly a class act that harkens back to a different era. The problem I think you are bringing to light might actually speak more towards the culture of fear that is so prevalent. If you watch any cycling events pre mud 90s you would see a majority without helmets. The helmet shouldn't be a requirement for people to get out there and ride.

Dead Man
02-06-2015, 12:44 PM

You still haven't pointed out why anyone would care, even if they did notice (and I'm totally unconvinced most people would even notice).

To answer your earlier question - I wear one while racing because it's required, not because I chose to. I chose to race, so I chose to do those things required to do so: buy a license, wear a helmet, submit to the regulations of my local authority, etc. I don't pick and chose - I simply don't wear a helmet (unless required to by rule).

AngryScientist
02-06-2015, 12:45 PM
abalone, please stop.

the mods have asked you to STOP stirring the pot on multiple occasions, and this is me, here, calling you out publicly, with a warning that this will be your last warning, before we ask you to leave.

that TR video was awesome, and worthy of discussion. there are at least a ba-jillion things worth talking about with regard to TR and his products; discussion of his helmet usage simply serves to derail the thread into a discussion we've beat up here a thousand times.

you want to talk about the merits of helmet use, and why it's "weird", do it in another thread, and stop rocking the boat, constantly.

krhea
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Thank you SO much "AngryScientist".

abalone
02-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Ok, ok. I'm going to stop. I was only answering people's questions about why I thought it was weird that TomRitchey wasn't wearing a helmet. I don't have a problem with anybody's right to choose if they want to wear a helmet or not. I was only saying that it's weird that a public figure wouldn't do so in a video. That's it. This isn't trying to get you all stirred up, whatever that means.

I was only expressing that opinion, however unpopular it is. TomRitchey has a right to do whatever he wants, and I'm not criticizing him. I just think it's weird the path he took. You are welcome to disagree, but please just accept what I am saying without any further questions because it's clear I can't answer them to your satisfaction without being accused of purposely stirring the pot. With that said, I am going to refrain from posting on this topic. Thanks.

seanile
02-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Thank you SO much "AngryScientist".

x infinite

sparky33
02-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Tom Ritchey is one guy who I would like to have the privilege to meet. I bet a day on the bike with him would be outstanding, and difficult to keep up!

My thoughts exactly.

r_mutt
02-06-2015, 07:48 PM
i think Ritchey saw what non-helmeted riders pictured in advertising did for Rapha and thought it was probably good for business to be seen riding with no helmet :)

i hope all of those who were quick to jump on abalone never criticized the lack of helmets in Rapha ads.

pdmtong
02-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Tom Ritchey is local to me. I see him riding and know many of this roads in the video. He never wears a lid.

I've spoken to him on the road, at my LBS and at NAHBS. He is not pretentious and by his own admission a long way from the youthful hot head some remember him as. Wanna get him talking? Ask about his work in Rwanda

I know it's trendy to bash Ritchey components as cheap and failure prone. Like any lineup as stuff is great others less so. But IMHO they make good stuff everyone should consider

I don't know Tom but when I have met him it feels like he's been a friend for years

The video is simply a depiction of who he really is. Not some contrived marketing effort

R3awak3n
02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Tom Ritchey is local to me. I see him riding and know many of this roads in the video. He never wears a lid.

I've spoken to him on the road, at my LBS and at NAHBS. He is not pretentious and by his own admission a long way from the youthful hot head some remember him as. Wanna get him talking? Ask about his work in Rwanda

I know it's trendy to bash Ritchey components as cheap and failure prone. Like any lineup as stuff is great others less so. But IMHO they make good stuff everyone should consider

I don't know Tom but when I have met him it feels like he's been a friend for years

The video is simply a depiction of who he really is. Not some contrived marketing effort

I didn't know it was trendy to bash ritchey products. I always thought they had some quality. Of course not every product will be amazing, its a bigger company so quality control sometimes will fail.
I have been happy with whatever ritchey product I have bought, I am slowly changing all my bikes handlebars to ritchey curves.

Video is awesome, had seen it a while ago and rewatched.

pdmtong
02-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I didn't know it was trendy to bash ritchey products. I always thought they had some quality. Of course not every product will be amazing, its a bigger company so quality control sometimes will fail.
I have been happy with whatever ritchey product I have bought, I am slowly changing all my bikes handlebars to ritchey curves.

Video is awesome, had seen it a while ago and rewatched.

Plenty of "I'll only ride Deda or 3T" etc here. It's ok as there are plenty of choices. Choice makes this hobby great

For me it's the EvoCurve. Love that bar

r_mutt
02-06-2015, 09:48 PM

i wasn't serious when i wrote that "saw what non-helmeted riders pictured in advertising did for Rapha". i just think it's funny that when Tom Ritchey does it, there are many who defend it, and then when Rapha does it, it's "not cool". granted, i realize Rapha is doing targeted marketing with no hemet wearing while that's just the way Tom rides.

pdmtong
02-06-2015, 10:27 PM
i wasn't serious when i wrote that "saw what non-helmeted riders pictured in advertising did for Rapha". i just think it's funny that when Tom Ritchey does it, there are many who defend it, and then when Rapha does it, it's "not cool". granted, i realize Rapha is doing targeted marketing with no hemet wearing while that's just the way Tom rides.

No worries. Gotta recall toms pedigree heritage to understand - he's been iconic as a racer then founding father mtb component designer and humanitarian in Rwanda. When i see him on the road what can yuu say?

Simply say hi tom The mustache - you can see it coming from meters away

Duende
02-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the video shows Tom gravel grinding on a carbon road bike!

That's bucking the trend right there. Makes me want to put bigger tires in my road bike and get it dusty and dirty too! (Not that I don't already, but I could use some bigger tires! ;). )