PDA

View Full Version : Cut the head tube down!

saab2000
04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
So this morning I went into the shop early. Had it all arranged. Measured about 5 times and decided to take the leap. I did not want a 73 stem, but wanted a shorter head tube and fork. Aesthetics and stiffness....

The cutting guide is not big enough. So we decide to face the head tube down about 1.5 cm. No problem. Well, lots of cutting oil later and probably a slightly duller cutting tool later we have a winner.

The head tube on my CIII is now where is should be. The position is much more to my liking the bike feels better climbing out of the saddle.

Someone did this to their Pegoretti and it is a bit worrisome, but it worked out great.

Pics later if someone wants to see it. Looks like a factory job. No warranty for me to void either, since it is a used frame.

Roy E. Munson
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Someone did this to their Pegoretti and it is a bit worrisome

I think almost everyone who buys a Pegoretti in smaller to average sizes does this.

CPP
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Saab,
What frame material? Where are you in Switzerland?
CP

saab2000
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Saab,
What frame material? Where are you in Switzerland?
CP

The frame material is steel.

I am not currently in Switzerland. I lived there for many years, in Pfaeffikon/ZH east of Zurich and spent my last two years living in Lugano. I flew for Crossair and then SWISS.

I miss it badly and would move back tomorrow if SWISS would call me back. I loved living there and visit whenever I can. I was there 3 times last year.

Ich bin in der Deutschscweiz zu hause! Etwa weniger in Tessin, aber Lugano Geffaelt mir sehr!!!

Loro_tomas
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I did that to my Marcelo. Face down 2 cm and it work great. I never posted pics of the finish bike. I will take some and will post them tomorrow for all you kids to see.

LORO.

CPP
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Saab,
I'm in the french part (the Valais) Awesome for cycling.
Can a carbon head tube be cut down??

saab2000
04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Saab,
I'm in the french part (the Valais) Awesome for cycling.
Can a carbon head tube be cut down??

I wouldn't try it without some serious examination. Cutting non-butted steel headtube extensions is one thing. Doing it on carbon is a whole 'nuther game. That said, if it can be done it will be easy. Take it to a real shop over there.

PS - I used to go camping in Valais all the time! Love it there in the Goms. We used to stick mostly to the German-speaking part in Brig and Visp and Zermatt. But I love all of Switzerland - all the languages and cultures, even though I am a better German speaker.