PDA

View Full Version : Natchez Trace Planning - Who has done it?

twangston73
02-04-2015, 03:06 PM
I am planning to do a late April trip with a fellow Paceliner down the Natchez Trace starting in Nashville and ending (probably) in Jackson, MS. We are planning on credit card camping and hope to be able to spend our nights in towns with a friendly watering hole. Happy to ride anywhere from 50-110 miles per day. Has anybody figured out an itinerary that more or less meets these criteria or are there other suggestions? I have been looking at stops in Florence, AL, Tupelo, MS, and Kosciusko, MS along the way. I know Florence is off the path a bit but it looks like it might be fun - any warnings, recommendations, or suggestions would be most welcome!

oddsaabs
02-04-2015, 03:42 PM
I have direct knowledge of the area, but there is a group that runs brevets on the Trace. They might be a good resource. Their facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/NatchezTraceBrevets

Ken Robb
02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
I drove the length of The Trace in the late 1980s and thought it would be a wonderful ride on a bike. As you probably know there are no businesses on the Trace itself so one has to get off and into a nearby town for motels/restaurants, etc. In that part of our country counties and towns can be "local option" and some have opted to by "dry" so check before you decide where to spend a night.

I enjoyed some places where we could walk along the original dirt path. I wonder if bicycles are allowed there too.

berserk87
02-04-2015, 04:06 PM
My team made a spring training trip there last year but I had to miss out due to injury (which really depressed me).

I hear great things about it. The team is doing it again this year and I plan on being there. Last year they rented a house right off of the trail. It was pretty cool...from what I was told.

unterhausen
02-04-2015, 06:27 PM
there are lots of diaries from people who have ridden the Trace on Crazy Guy. I wanted to ride the 1500km brevet on it last year, but it didn't work out.

malcolm
02-04-2015, 08:27 PM
At one time there was a website or maybe even a book that gave various exits and the hotels at the exits so you could credit card tour it. It's been several years since I looked at it and some of the comments suggested it was out of date then.

dekindy
02-04-2015, 08:32 PM
I did some research recently and have decided to use Nashville as a base and do some out and backs. Farther south you go the flatter and less interesting it is supposed to be. I am going with my Wife and handicapped Son so that factors into it also. I have an email from the information website that I will post when I get to my computer later this evening or tomorrow.

pinkshogun
02-04-2015, 08:42 PM
we did it in April of 2008. we hit a cold spell and were forced to seek indoor shelter. the first 2 nights of outdoor camping in Hennessey Hammocks with 30 degree howling winds convinced us of that

pic 1: my buddy on his Heron
pic 2: me being fashionable on a too small Cannondale tourer
pic 3: somewhere in Mississippi

dekindy
02-04-2015, 09:15 PM
http://natcheztracetravel.com/

The responses they gave were specific to me so I will not post them here. Ask them any questions you have as they are very helpful.

Ken Robb
02-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Nashville is a fun visit in itself. The Hermitage is one of the best "museums" this history buff has visited. It gives a real picture of plantation life. Unlike others the furniture and even wallpaper in the main house is as it was when Andy Jackson lived there. The slave quarters were equally interesting.

F150
02-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Fly into Nashville, revisit the Hermitage, catch Willie Nelson at the Ryman (March 3-4), buy him a cold one at Tootsie's afterwards. Splurge on a room at The Hermitage Hotel. Visit the Country Music HOF or The Frist Center before driving to Louisville for NAHBS 2015, return, ride, spend more money before heading home? Sounds like a plan to me.

Too bad our Predators are home during NAHBS and away before/after, playing very well.

twangston73
02-06-2015, 02:01 PM
I really appreciate the many helpful suggestions and messages I have received - the Paceline rocks. We will continue to do our due diligence and I will be happy to share any useful information I gather.

pinkshogun
02-06-2015, 06:01 PM
we had to up our daily planned mileage from 50 to 70-80 to escape the cold nights and paid a price on the rolling terrain

HenryA
02-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Not much help for the specific question, but I do live near the northern end of the Trace. If anyone wants to ride around here, give me a shout.