PDA

View Full Version : help needed on integrated headset

chrisroph
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I rode my used merckx aluminum leader yesterday. Its a sweet racing bike, very snappy, efficient with nice balance and good handling characteristics. Plus, my friend said I look like petacchi on it.

I do have one issue. It has an integrated headset labeled merckx with cartridge bearings. Who invented these things? It is the worst headset I've ever had, even worse than the stronglight I had on my vitus. I can't get it to hold an adjustment. It tightens up during the course of a ride. Yes, its adjusted properly at the beginning of the ride, the stem bolts are tight, etc. It seems like the lower cartridge bearing might fit a bit too loose in the lower race (does this thing even have a lower race? I hope so or I may be out of luck). I haven't really dug into the problem and I'm inclined to just replace the thing with tulio's goods if possible. Does anybody know if the campy integrated hs will fit? Any other ideas? Anybody had this problem before? TIA guys.

Grant McLean
04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a trip to a service shop you trust.

The frame and fork need to be properly prepped,
and this can't really be checked by eye. Sounds
like there is a tolerance or alignment issue, which
may or may not have to do with the headset parts
themselves.

-g

chrisroph
04-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I do most of my own work and in the past did many headset installs using the tried and true 2x4 and hammer method but, as I mellow, I now have shops do my headset installs/removals. However, I've never had one of these unnecessary integrated jobs before. I think I'll take the bike in to the lakeside boys with a 6 pack of good beer and say fix this sucker and feel free to put a new headset in if its needed. There is nothing as maddening on a bike as a headset that doesn't work right.

stevep
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
if it keeps loosening up after it is adjusted... it is not impossible that the ( in particular, bottom ) bearing is in upside down.
believe me it is possible.
look carefully at the bearing and assure that it compresses together when in the direction that you install it... try that.

Bill Bove
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
There are a couple of different sizes of 1 1/8 intergrated headsets. A Campy intergrated is not the same size as most FSA's, wich are pretty good, be sure that you have the right size bearings in there. Use the FSA headset guide to determine what that is.

Fixed
04-05-2006, 05:43 PM
bro I have the fsa and no trouble much better than the one on my old fuji superlight it would come lose after every
ride .
cheers

chrisroph
04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will give it all a look see real soon, and if I can't figure it out its off to the shop. The bike is real nice is a racy way. But, I've got to get the hs working properly.

chrisroph
04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I got it back today from my trusted local shop. They were happy to get to use their super expensive integrated hs facing/cutting tools. They found that both the top and bottom of the ht needed to be faced because neither were square. Then, they realized that the crown had not been prepped properly so they recut that, and then had to install a new crown race. Finally, everything being out of whack caused the bearings to wear out. So eddy got new bearings too. I'm hoping that the hs works right. It feels pretty good. I didn't ride eddy today but will do so tomorow. I'm hammered, so I went for a cruise on the bmw s1100 replika.

Clinchers and integrated headsets suck.

stevep
04-13-2006, 06:09 AM
integrated headsets are a solution without a problem.
no argument from me.

Dave
04-13-2006, 08:12 AM
The Park Tool website nearly always has the answer.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68

I'd say you're lucky to have a shop that bought the expensive cutting tools to repair your damaged frame. Some brands like LOOK, use removable bearing seats, so repair can be made without cutting any frame material.

Normally, a new frame with an integrated headset requires no additional preparation at the shop, before assembly. In most cases, the headset installation also requires no tools, since many of the headsets include a split crown race, that can be pushed on by hand. The latest LOOK HSC5 fork has the crown race built into the fork.

The biggest problem with integrated headsets is failure to properly preload the bearings. The top cap must be tightened much tighter than it would with a conventional caged-ball type. I tighten mine until I feel a bit of additional drag as the fork is turned, then back off the tension 1/8-1/4 turn. Some headsets may include a specific top cap bolt torque for preloading the bearings. Riding with the headset loose will quickly destory the bearing seats - not too big a deal if the seats are replaceable, but if they aren't you have to remachine the head tube, as you found out.