PDA

View Full Version : OT: snowshoes

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 08:34 AM
this snow has really screwed with my fitness...i'm thinking snowshoes might be the answer as it serves the dual purpose of packing down the trail where i ride

but i know nothing about them. seems pretty simple but i wanna make sure i am on the right track.

i'm thinking msr revo explores and some black diamond poles (of course they're carbon fiber)

what do i do about shoes??

thanks folks!

45K10
02-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I have a couple of pairs:
MSR Ascent model year 2012 Work great on Icy type trails with a lot of climbing
MSR Flash model year 2012 My wife uses these mostly, super light and work great in light fluffy snow.

My advice is to try them on if at all possible before you buy them. Some are wider than others, strap quality varies greatly on some models. The main thing to look for is that you can walk in them without the snowshoes overlapping each other. Also some shoes are extremely squeaky when they get cold.

pinkshogun
02-03-2015, 08:43 AM
i was talking to a friend who knows about snowshoes and recommends Tubbs first, followed by Atlas and MSR

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 08:47 AM
i was talking to a friend who knows about snowshoes and recommends Tubbs first, followed by Atlas and MSR

it's like campy vs. shimano...but msr has a lifetime warranty

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 08:49 AM
I have a couple of pairs:
MSR Ascent model year 2012 Work great on Icy type trails with a lot of climbing
MSR Flash model year 2012 My wife uses these mostly, super light and work great in light fluffy snow.

My advice is to try them on if at all possible before you buy them. Some are wider than others, strap quality varies greatly on some models. The main thing to look for is that you can walk in them without the snowshoes overlapping each other. Also some shoes are extremely squeaky when they get cold.

they changed all the models around last year...and i won't get an opp to demo anything...

what do you need snowshoes for in nc??

45K10
02-03-2015, 09:01 AM
they changed all the models around last year...and i won't get an opp to demo anything...

what do you need snowshoes for in nc??

Yeah, we lived in Vancouver BC before we moved to NC last year. Great snowshoeing in BC! I don't miss the Vancouver winters (dark and damp) but once you get above the cloud-line BC winters are awesome.

Good luck and enjoy your snowshoes!

buldogge
02-03-2015, 09:03 AM
MSR Lightnings are almost universally loved over on the backpacking forums I frequent. If you aren't dealing with traction issues then the Ascents will be fine.

Are you dealing with much elevation? If so, I would definitely make sure your new shoes have elevators.

Also, if you don't have to deal with packing the shoes, I would get the longest you can comfortably handle...or MSRs with the extra tails. Shoes or no shoes you will still posthole in deep loose snow...especially if you run small shoes.

I have Tubbs Xpedition 25s, but I don't get a chance to shoe often, and I picked them up for cheap on STP...Should have really gotten 30s or 36s, but didn't want to pack that extra length.

So, MSRs (pick your flavor) + tails is probably the most versatile set-up.

-Mark in St. Louis

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 09:12 AM
i meant, what do i do about boots to wear with the snowshoes?

old fat man
02-03-2015, 09:16 AM
How extreme and how often do you really expect to get with these? Buy the ones that are the right size for your height and weight and that have a convenient binding system. No reason to spend $$$ on snowshoes unless you're using them a ton or in extreme conditions (hiking the back country or third world summits).

My Atlas 835's have been just fine for the 3-5 times a year I use them. Got 'em in 1999 I believe.

commonguy001
02-03-2015, 09:16 AM

thanks folks!

I wear Goretex Hiking boots and gators and am good to go. Way more comfortable than using heavy big snow boots which aren't great for hiking around in anyway.

Saying that we haven't had squat for snow this year so my snowshoes are still in the shed.

choke
02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
You can wear whatever works; from hiking boots to Sorels.

old fat man
02-03-2015, 09:18 AM

I prefer to wear my hiking boots (leather, waterproof, warm, etc).

Also, the lifters are pretty slick. I tried a pair with lifters a few weeks ago when hiking up a ski mountain. It was a nice feature. Unnecessary on mellow terrain though.

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 09:19 AM
How extreme and how often do you really expect to get with these? Buy the ones that are the right size for your height and weight and that have a convenient binding system. No reason to spend $$$ on snowshoes unless you're using them a ton or in extreme conditions (hiking the back country or third world summits).

My Atlas 835's have been just fine for the 3-5 times a year I use them. Got 'em in 1999 I believe.

not extreme...that's why the lightning ascent are prolly overkill

buldogge
02-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Ooops...Sorry...too early.

As others have said, you can wear pretty much anything with most snowshoes, short of ski/bunny boots.

I generally use NB trail runners, Teva Event shoes, or NB 1500 Goretex "boots"...always with gaiters.

-Mark

sitzmark
02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Second MSR.

Chose undersized 12 (?) series Atlas shoes for my wife and me for casual treks. Upper end of Atlas line for more convenient binder system and elevators when needed - we usually use to trek around ski area in eve/night. Bought many years ago when features were exclusive to top end series.

My brother and SiL are serious hikers in PNW and have MSR Lightnings. Rugged, functional, adaptable, and nice stuff. A little bulky and "overkill" for general use, but if you have partners who are serious about shoeing in rugged terrain MSRs are the way I'd go.

p nut
02-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Man, a forum filled with fine steel bikes shod with polished bits and delicate leather trimmings, and not one post about wooden snowshoes? Disappointed...

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/

DIY
http://snowshoe.com/index.cfm?pageid=30

http://blog.rmhp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/bigstock-classic-wooden-Bear-Paw-snowsh-50278460.jpg

RonW87
02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
this snow has really screwed with my fitness...i'm thinking snowshoes might be the answer as it serves the dual purpose of packing down the trail where i ride

but i know nothing about them. seems pretty simple but i wanna make sure i am on the right track.

i'm thinking msr revo explores and some black diamond poles (of course they're carbon fiber)

thanks folks!

Are you going to be running or just hiking? Once the trail is packed, will you be snowshoeing on it? Or only using the snowshoes when the snow is deep?

I snowshoe run so I use light hikers/heavy running shoes with gaiters. For running, I would suggest Atlas Run or Race (premium or Ti crampons). I currently use the Louis Garneau Course because they're super light, but the crampons are pretty shallow so descending on a steep, packed downhill trail becomes almost like skiing.

Also, if your running, you don't need poles.

redir
02-03-2015, 03:05 PM
My recommendation is to get ski's :D

rpm
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
I've enjoyed my Crescent Moon snowshoes for the past five years. I like the teardrop shape and the binding system. They're made in Boulder with the kind of attention to design and function that you'd expect from a good bike builder.

http://crescentmoonsnowshoes.com/

IFRider
02-03-2015, 03:33 PM
and I nearly killed myself. 14 years old in the White Mountains of NH, there was a freezing rain 2 days before and the weather warmed up. The north side of a slope was a layer of ice on top of snow and my 125 pound using old wooden bearpaws did not punch through. I road out a 400 foot slope sliding standing up the whole way thinking I was gonna die. Turns out I was the only one without crampons on the bottom.

Man, a forum filled with fine steel bikes shod with polished bits and delicate leather trimmings, and not one post about wooden snowshoes? Disappointed...

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/

DIY
http://snowshoe.com/index.cfm?pageid=30

http://blog.rmhp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/bigstock-classic-wooden-Bear-Paw-snowsh-50278460.jpg

Peter P.
02-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I have a pair of Redfeather (http://www.redfeather.com/) Blackhawks. They're out of production, but I wouldn't buy anything else because they have all the features I could want.

True story: I bought the smaller, 8x25" shoes direct from Blackhawk pre-internet. When I first tried them, I found they lacked the flotation I expected. I contacted Blackhawk hoping to trade them on a pro-rated basis for a larger size, even a demo pair. They swapped my once or twice used shoes for a new pair, free of charge. Exceptional service.

Here are my recommendations:

Size: Get the 9x30" size. Most people under say, 180lbs. can use these for unbroken trails on deep powder just fine. At 130lbs., I found the 8x25" shoes recommended for me to lack the flotation I wanted for bushwhacking.

Snowshoes with a pointed tail help with steering, or changing direction. Mine have them and I like them.

I wanted bindings that could be operated with gloves on, and would go on quickly. Most of the web strap designs don't offer these qualities. My snowshoes have Swiss ratchet buckles (the Redfeather Epic binding); virtually the same as those on Sidi cycling shoes, Shimano's, etc., except a little larger. Get them if you can.

Crampons on under the toes are a must. Crampons under the heel as well offer better grip on uphills, but reduce the graceful glide you can get bounding down hill. I gave up some of the glide for the grip. You can remove the crampons whenever you want as they're held on with nylock nuts and bolts.

I wear regular hiking boots. Wear over-the-calf gaiters to keep out snow. I use some collapsible Black Diamond poles so I can pack them in my backpack when necessary. The adjustable length feature is nice.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-03-2015, 05:51 PM
MSR's with extra tails. Done.

I have a pair of Atlas and they are fine, but have a huge footprint. The nice thing about the MSR's is how modular they are.

As for shoes, any waterproof hiking boot and some Outdoor Research goretex gaiters.

02-03-2015, 07:10 PM
After lots of comments, not too much to add. I lived in Fairfield County for about 15 years and snowshoed a lot, then moved to Seattle for another 19. Lots of mountain rescue, worked as a NOLS instructor, casual hiking, and everything else.

You said you'd be packing and you'd be doing MTB trails. If you're packing you need a bigger snowshoe footprint so your weight doesn't punch you into the snow -- the going goes from easy to nasty very fast when that happens. The idea is to stay on top of the snow and Westchester (that is where you are, right?) is pretty transitional with fluff that turns to glazed ice fast, rain on snow, and so on. Unless you are high up, you probably have a fair amount of ice to deal with. That makes it even more crucial to keep on top of the snow, because if you go through icy crust, you have to break through more crust to get your snowshoes out again. And because being on top of the ice can turn snowshoes into impromptu skis, you definitely want mechanisms that dig into the snow as you rotate your foot forward.

All that said, if you are lightweight and you like to run, there are snowshoes made specifically for running (or for highly aerobic fast snowshoeing). You don't carry much with them (just a small pack with the safety essentials and some water) but they are skinnier and longer than normal so your stance is more normal and you can work a narrower trail. If you aren't really backpacking, you might really enjoy them.

The big boys -- Tubbs, Atlas, and so on -- are super-durable and designed to accommodate a wide range of snow and ice and bits of roots and bare rock, but probably overkill unless you want to wear a big pack. MSRs are some of the most innovative but they sacrifice some of the rock-beating durability of the big boys. You'll feel them flex under your feet more (and how they feel under your feet is part of what determines the boots you want to wear), not always a good thing but if you're running or walking light and don't weigh a lot, the flexibility lets them shape a bit to the terrain and not make your snowshoes cantilever back and forth over every little irregularity. Casual snowshoers like that feeling because you feel planted in your stride. You might look at some of the specialty running snowshoes unless your trails are really rough -- if you can ride a cross bike on them, running snowshoes should be fine. Personally, I would surf the net a bit or find a local store that focuses on running snowshoes before you buy anything -- REI mostly tries to sell you MSRs and a couple models of Tubbs or Atlas; same for Eastern Mountain Sports.

I own an older pair of Tubbs that have been extensively customized for serious mountain rescue work -- big packs, nasty inclines, exposed rock, heavy ice, avalanche fall, and so on. I could carry an injured 140 lb rescue dog down a mountain on my shoulders with them, but I wouldn't recommend them; they are specialty shoes and designed to do the job and bring you back again. Get the big Tubbs or Atlas snowshoes if you are really carrying a load or going places where you know you have to get out again alive. For a day-hike or day-run on trails, they are overkill. I've used most of the MSRs (we were sponsored by them in Seattle Mountain Rescue so we had practically everything they made) and think they are great for occasional use. Same for some of the Atlas running snowshoes, and a variety from other brands. My favorites for aerobic workout are Crescent Moon Rockets -- they are all carbon fiber, they weight about what a pair of cycling shoes weigh, and they are FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT. Dayum, but they are fun. Like the very very best in road frames. And they are expensive as snowshoes go but ridiculously cheap as cycling equipment goes. I've also got a pair of composite TSL's -- a Euro brand that snowboarders can do all kinds of trick stuff with when they don't quite have the slopes for their boards -- and they are also fabulous, but they are really not intended for trails. If you want fun on a rolling golf course, though, you can do amazing tricks with them and go faster than most of the skate skiers if you're in shape.

Anyway, that's snowshoes, at least my $0.025.

Boots? In Westchester weather, you don't want your feet to get wet or freeze. And you want something sufficient to get home in. Snowshoers in some places like Boulder will do it in running shoes, but I'd play it safer in your conditions. Plus if trail conditions aren't as expected, you may be walking sections. Those with really deep snow cover are happy with Sorels or similar lined boots because they are warm, relatively inexpensive, and your feet have loads of room to wiggle around in them and you can go straight apre-ski into the house or a Starbucks and not get stares. And things like foot bed and arch support don't mean as much when you're in a lot of powder snow. But I'd suggest something in a medium goretex boot. As soon as the Northeast starts to melt, everything gets very wet and sloppy. You don't want your feet to feel it. Now I'm not suggesting heavy hiking boots. Rather, check out the lightweight Goretex tactical boots made by every brand in the business. Those are extremely light, flexible, and dry and they work great with lightweight snowshoes. You can get zero-lift ones that are very good for snowshoes and are especially light (lighter than most cycling shoes if you aren't Adam Hansen). And they aren't that expensive -- I have a couple pairs bought online at tacticalgear.com for about $130-150 and I recommend that as a starting place for shopping. In your part of the country you don't have to get high ones -- 5 or 7 inch uppers are fine -- because you should always have a pair of goretex gaiters to keep snow and wet out. The gaiters also contribute a lot of warmth.

Hope that helps. I've put in thousands of hours on snowshoes, both for fun and for work, with dog sleds and in every other possible way. More than anything, I've found that everyone is different so my suggestions are worth precisely that $0.025.

crownjewelwl
02-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Incredible advice....thank you!!

I'm heavy (190) and retired from running...also won't be carrying a pack so i don't need super overbuilt

Good point on the shoes!

After lots of comments, not too much to add. I lived in Fairfield County for about 15 years and snowshoed a lot, then moved to Seattle for another 19. Lots of mountain rescue, worked as a NOLS instructor, casual hiking, and everything else.

You said you'd be packing and you'd be doing MTB trails. If you're packing you need a bigger snowshoe footprint so your weight doesn't punch you into the snow -- the going goes from easy to nasty very fast when that happens. The idea is to stay on top of the snow and Westchester (that is where you are, right?) is pretty transitional with fluff that turns to glazed ice fast, rain on snow, and so on. Unless you are high up, you probably have a fair amount of ice to deal with. That makes it even more crucial to keep on top of the snow, because if you go through icy crust, you have to break through more crust to get your snowshoes out again. And because being on top of the ice can turn snowshoes into impromptu skis, you definitely want mechanisms that dig into the snow as you rotate your foot forward.

All that said, if you are lightweight and you like to run, there are snowshoes made specifically for running (or for highly aerobic fast snowshoeing). You don't carry much with them (just a small pack with the safety essentials and some water) but they are skinnier and longer than normal so your stance is more normal and you can work a narrower trail. If you aren't really backpacking, you might really enjoy them.

The big boys -- Tubbs, Atlas, and so on -- are super-durable and designed to accommodate a wide range of snow and ice and bits of roots and bare rock, but probably overkill unless you want to wear a big pack. MSRs are some of the most innovative but they sacrifice some of the rock-beating durability of the big boys. You'll feel them flex under your feet more (and how they feel under your feet is part of what determines the boots you want to wear), not always a good thing but if you're running or walking light and don't weigh a lot, the flexibility lets them shape a bit to the terrain and not make your snowshoes cantilever back and forth over every little irregularity. Casual snowshoers like that feeling because you feel planted in your stride. You might look at some of the specialty running snowshoes unless your trails are really rough -- if you can ride a cross bike on them, running snowshoes should be fine. Personally, I would surf the net a bit or find a local store that focuses on running snowshoes before you buy anything -- REI mostly tries to sell you MSRs and a couple models of Tubbs or Atlas; same for Eastern Mountain Sports.

I own an older pair of Tubbs that have been extensively customized for serious mountain rescue work -- big packs, nasty inclines, exposed rock, heavy ice, avalanche fall, and so on. I could carry an injured 140 lb rescue dog down a mountain on my shoulders with them, but I wouldn't recommend them; they are specialty shoes and designed to do the job and bring you back again. Get the big Tubbs or Atlas snowshoes if you are really carrying a load or going places where you know you have to get out again alive. For a day-hike or day-run on trails, they are overkill. I've used most of the MSRs (we were sponsored by them in Seattle Mountain Rescue so we had practically everything they made) and think they are great for occasional use. Same for some of the Atlas running snowshoes, and a variety from other brands. My favorites for aerobic workout are Crescent Moon Rockets -- they are all carbon fiber, they weight about what a pair of cycling shoes weigh, and they are FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT. Dayum, but they are fun. Like the very very best in road frames. And they are expensive as snowshoes go but ridiculously cheap as cycling equipment goes. I've also got a pair of composite TSL's -- a Euro brand that snowboarders can do all kinds of trick stuff with when they don't quite have the slopes for their boards -- and they are also fabulous, but they are really not intended for trails. If you want fun on a rolling golf course, though, you can do amazing tricks with them and go faster than most of the skate skiers if you're in shape.

Anyway, that's snowshoes, at least my $0.025.

Boots? In Westchester weather, you don't want your feet to get wet or freeze. And you want something sufficient to get home in. Snowshoers in some places like Boulder will do it in running shoes, but I'd play it safer in your conditions. Plus if trail conditions aren't as expected, you may be walking sections. Those with really deep snow cover are happy with Sorels or similar lined boots because they are warm, relatively inexpensive, and your feet have loads of room to wiggle around in them and you can go straight apre-ski into the house or a Starbucks and not get stares. And things like foot bed and arch support don't mean as much when you're in a lot of powder snow. But I'd suggest something in a medium goretex boot. As soon as the Northeast starts to melt, everything gets very wet and sloppy. You don't want your feet to feel it. Now I'm not suggesting heavy hiking boots. Rather, check out the lightweight Goretex tactical boots made by every brand in the business. Those are extremely light, flexible, and dry and they work great with lightweight snowshoes. You can get zero-lift ones that are very good for snowshoes and are especially light (lighter than most cycling shoes if you aren't Adam Hansen). And they aren't that expensive -- I have a couple pairs bought online at tacticalgear.com for about $130-150 and I recommend that as a starting place for shopping. In your part of the country you don't have to get high ones -- 5 or 7 inch uppers are fine -- because you should always have a pair of goretex gaiters to keep snow and wet out. The gaiters also contribute a lot of warmth.

Hope that helps. I've put in thousands of hours on snowshoes, both for fun and for work, with dog sleds and in every other possible way. More than anything, I've found that everyone is different so my suggestions are worth precisely that $0.025.

NHAero
02-03-2015, 09:14 PM
It's been really interesting looking at the links posted and getting an update on how snowshoes have evolved. I'm going to put in a plug for the indestructible, easy to use, old Sherpa aluminum snowshoes (caveat emptor, I have old steel bikes too). My pair are 8x25 Featherweights (surely new products are lighter) with crampons for the ball of the foot and the heel. Several on eBay at any given time. Important to get the binding that has the toe piece, it really keeps your boot in place.

I lived in NH almost 35 years and hiked all the White 4000ers in winter. Usually carried crampons but rarely needed them with these snowshoes. A number of times in quite cold weather the plastic parts on other people's snowshoes cracked and broke, but I haven't ever seen a broken Sherpa.

They made a lot of variations on the crampons, some were too aggressive and some too mild. This eBay listing shows a pair similar to mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHERPA-25-ALL-TERRAIN-SNOWSHOES-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/351299603961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cb168df9

At the weight of the OP, I'd look for the larger sizes.

Brief history of the brand

http://www.snowshoemag.com/2007/02/01/a-history-of-sherpa/

Just had them out this week a few times in the aftermath of the blizzard - they're not getting much use here on Martha's Vineyard most winters.

02-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Hah hah! I lived in a pair of those Sherpas doing mountain rescue in the Northern Kingdom of Vermont for a couple years. They weren't bad in that kind of snow, as long as the cold didn't make the alloys crack (decent at the time but not competitive today).

I didn't recommend bent wood snowshoes because they are great on soft snow (they track better than almost anything, handle extreme cold, and are lighter than many other designs) but don't handle the icy and rocky terrain of Westchester and Fairfield Counties. I didn't recommend some of the older designs because when you're snowshoeing on rough, icy, and rocky terrain, they not only tend to rock a lot and feel unstable but they also are more susceptible to breaking. People used cheap alloys back then, about what you'd find in cheap folding lawn chairs at Walmart.

Snowshoeing is addictive. You get to see everything without blowing past it on a fat-tire bike or on skis, it's a great workout if you make it one, and you can make it a great workout for cycling on a rolling golf course -- do run-ups on the hills and sprints across the flats. Many golf courses get opened for cross-country skiing when there's adequate protective snow cover, and snowshoers can race on them too. There are big snowshoe racing communities where the weather permits so it becomes a very accessible (i.e., close in town) and tough winter workout. Think cross, but clean.

likebikes
02-03-2015, 10:59 PM
i had a set of usa-made atlas snowshoes that the binding shredded on (made out of rubber). The binding shredded in the extreme cold. Prior to this, the snowshoes were only used a couple of times- the paint on the aluminum on the bottom side of the rails was still on, to give you a sense of how little they were used before failure.

they wouldn't repair or warranty the snowshoes.

Kind of soured me on atlas after that. The newer ones have a different binding design and are made overseas...

xjoex
02-04-2015, 10:48 AM
I spend a lot of time on snowshoes. If you think you'll snowshoe a lot then spend a little more to get a snowshoe with a ratcheting/snowboard style binding. Taking your snowshoes on and off in the cold will be so much easier.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f83Y2APIvNQ/UwlrOLsgf5I/AAAAAAAAP4M/pNPc7JcmOyk/s800/P2010197.jpg

Although the rubber strap style binding from MSR is really nice too. Its 90% of the ratcheting binding at 66% of the cost.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DXaDgHjgOPg/VHVhz4gN_LI/AAAAAAAATtE/zeugj85GUPk/s800/PB250020.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GQ5L2U1I5OU/VHVktJcKB9I/AAAAAAAATtY/gV4uD9weflE/s800/PB250010.jpg

I got a pair of MSR Revo Ascent Snowshoes this winter and like them almost as much as the ratcheting binding on my old snowshoes.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2014/12/review-msr-revo-ascent-snowshoes.html

-Joe

Likes2ridefar
02-04-2015, 10:58 AM
like many others said, MSR. end of story. just get the proper size. others i've mountaineered with have used different brands and they can't keep up due to reduced traction.

on flat and fluffy stuff, though, it probably isn't such a big deal and some probably perform better. on ice and ups and downs though, MSR!

i use the flip up televator version or whatever it's called occasionally but don't think it's a deal breaker unless you plan on going up very steep terrain a lot and for extended periods of time.

for boots I like Keen, I have both 200g and 400g insulated boots from them. i usually go for the 400g as my feet get cold easy.

i also have sorels, but they are extremely heavy and not as easy to walk in as the Keens which are more like hiking boots. i don't think they are much warmer, if at all, though they are roomy and allow creative sock systems.

i've tried snowshoes with running shoes and other similar type shoes, because that's what many do at backpackinglight, but do not like it much. my feet get cold and i don't like the pressure of the clamping.

crownjewelwl
02-04-2015, 12:43 PM
thanks for all the tips folks!

xjoex - i have to admit that i've been partly inspired by your snowshoeing pics, but i won't be in the backcountry...just my local hill...revo explores should be more than sufficient

VTCaraco
02-04-2015, 06:00 PM
I've enjoyed my Crescent Moon snowshoes for the past five years. I like the teardrop shape and the binding system. They're made in Boulder with the kind of attention to design and function that you'd expect from a good bike builder.

http://crescentmoonsnowshoes.com/

I'd second this recommendation.

Bought Sherpas for me and the wife about 15 years ago. Loved 'em a whole bunch for VT backcountry adventures.
Picked up some Crescent Moons for my wife for the less adventurous routes and they are superb enough that I'm jealous of her gear now....