PDA

View Full Version : Colnago interview II: Merckx is a weight weenie

Johny
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2004/colnago/?id=colnago4

Some examples:
"...We made rims that were 260 grams for him..."
"... I lightened everything; the cranks, drilled out the chain ..."
"...the tubular tires we used, the Clement number 1 Pista, weighed 90 gr. for the front and 110 gr..."
"...The only thing we couldn't get for Merckx was Helium gas for the tires..."
"...no one in Italy could weld titanium, so I went to Pino Morroni in Detroit, America to weld the special lightweight titanium stem for Merckx's Hour Record bicycle..."
"...a special 122 gram headset ... Cinelli handlebars with 48 holes drilled in them..."
"...I remember that one time, I told him I could file a lug a certain way that might save a few grams and he was excited; 'Do it that way!"..."

Wow...

Also, Eddy is a maniac:
"I remember the Wednesday before he won the World Championships in Mendrisio, he did a training ride of 380km! He rode from the Abetone Pass in Tuscany all the way to Cambiago! It was hot there so Merckx left at 5am with his soigneur Isaia and a Molteni team car behind."

"We took him to a hotel not too far from here in Cannonica Lambro, Albergo Forsati, and I said 'Eddy, think about which bike you want to use Sunday.' Because each bike had a different seat-tube angle, so I suggested that he get up tomorrow morning and try the three bikes. When Isaia went to wake up Merckx at 8am, he was already gone! He asked in the reception and they told him 'Oh, Merckx left at 7am to ride the Ghisallo.' The day before he had done 380km and the next day he was out on the bike again. So Isaia jumped in the car and by the time he caught up with him, Merckx was already in Lecco, halfway to Ghisallo. That was Merckx..."

dnovo
03-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Words fail. Merckx. I will think of this article and recognize how privileged I am to own one of his bikes when I ride one today. Dave N.

Climb01742
03-20-2004, 05:40 AM
greatness like eddy's is no accident. he was willing to pay the price. amazing. bravo.

Kevin
03-20-2004, 05:54 AM
He is the canibal after all.

Kevin

froze
03-20-2004, 10:52 PM
The word canibal has a new meaning for him now, not only did he eat his competition but he ate his bike! He would have ate Lance if Lance had been unfortunate enough to be around when Merckx was.

He was the best rider there ever was...so far.

jdesalvo
03-21-2004, 04:52 AM
And the issue is? You gotta love him!!

merlinagilis
03-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Lets not forget about the other cycling legend....
Alexi Grewal!!!!
Man, that guy could ride a bike.....isn't he a minister with his own religion now???!!