PDA

View Full Version : Touring bike setup: MTB crankset, what FD??

brockd15
02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm putting together a Surly Straggler for my wife and want it to have decent high range gearing (doesn't need to be too high) and a good low range. She's used to having a triple with a granny gear so I want to keep a similar low end.

I have a compact crankset (50/34) that I've planned to pair with a 9 speed MTB RD and a 12-32 cassette, but I just came across a 165mm XT triple crankset that would be nice. If I used the big and middle rings (something like 40/30 or 44/30) would a regular road FD work? I'm planning to use 5700 shifters and FD.

Clear as mud?

dustyrider
02-02-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm putting together a Surly Straggler for my wife and want it to have decent high range gearing (doesn't need to be too high) and a good low range. She's used to having a triple with a granny gear so I want to keep a similar low end.

I have a compact crankset (50/34) that I've planned to pair with a 9 speed MTB RD and a 12-32 cassette, but I just came across a 165mm XT triple crankset that would be nice. If I used the big and middle rings (something like 40/30 or 44/30) would a regular road FD work? I'm planning to use 5700 shifters and FD.

Clear as mud?

I use a friction shifter on the front of a similar setup(48/38/28 and 11/28), and I believe a standard 8speed triple front mech...I'll check to be sure.
Oops you've already got the shifters picked out....I'm not sure.

Cicli
02-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Depends on the shifter. I would use a friction shifter and triple derailuer as stated above.

vqdriver
02-02-2015, 06:22 PM
if you've got the 105 bits, try them out and see how well it works.

some forumites have posted their own setups where this worked fine. i'm in the process myself of something similiar. mtb crank with a campy fd. but i'm using campy shifters which function essentially as ratcheting friction so i have a lot more fudge room.

Martygarrison
02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I built up my wife's Specialized Ruby with Force shifters/FD and an XX RD. The XX is compatible with the Force zeroloss shifting which meant I was able to use a compact 50/34 with an XX 11/36 cassette. She was able to ride the Middlebury Gap in Vermont with a full load. Works really well.