PDA

View Full Version : Calf Compression Sleeve

Chief
02-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Does anyone have any experience using a calf compression sleeve? Do you perceive any benefits? Do you use them during riding or just during recovery? Do you recommend their use?

Charles M
02-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm using them for both riding and recovery (not after rides but after other workout and on flights).

I've had some other issues and they seem to keep the stiffness and some of the foot tingling I've been getting to a minimum. They also make for less soreness and stretching after wearing them is easier and a lot more comfortable.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I've used both the socks and the tights strictly for recovery. Though I find the tights do help with recovery and sore muscles, I don't feel the same way about the socks. My calves usually are sore after any type of workouts. My thighs, hams, and glutes, that's a whole world of hurt for me. YMMV.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Does anyone have any experience using a calf compression sleeve? Do you perceive any benefits? Do you use them during riding or just during recovery? Do you recommend their use?

I wore a compression sock while standing up in the shop. For a vein issue I got when I had a torn MCL(BIG swelling-damaged the little valves in the lower leg, venus system). BUT 'sports' compression stuff isn't very squishy, not a lot of compression. Medical ones are and provide real benefits, IMHO.

this web site has what you need. Maybe get a mid compression before you go to the max compression(which my Doc recommended).

http://www.brightlifedirect.com/

Black Dog
02-02-2015, 06:17 AM
The research is clear on these things. They are effective for recovery, they do not improve performance. However if you have a pre-existing condition they can be useful during activity to help mitigate symptoms. Bad news for the many triathletes who really think that these things make them faster.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2015, 06:26 AM
The research is clear on these things. They are effective for recovery, they do not improve performance. However if you have a pre-existing condition they can be useful during activity to help mitigate symptoms. Bad news for the many triathletes who really think that these things make them faster.

but but but Talk about funny tans....

Black Dog
02-02-2015, 06:31 AM
:) yep, even if they made me faster I would not be wearing these sausage tubes. Kinda like black and really tall socks. Just not my bag baby.

but but but Talk about funny tans....

cainez
02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Never worn them, doubt I will start.

bcroslin
02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
The jury is out and from the small amount of research that's been done it's more placebo than anything else according to this story in the NYT. (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/14/can-compression-clothing-enhance-your-workout/)

My anecdotal experience is that my wife has suffered from severe achilles tendinitis and has felt some relief wearing a calf compression sleeve. Doesn't matter if its placebo or not - if she perceives relief that's good enough for me.

dave thompson
02-19-2015, 06:48 PM
When I was a productive member of society (working) I was walking or on my feet in our stores often for many hours a day. I found that calf compression socks worked extremely well to prevent/relieve the accompanying soreness and aches.

rugbysecondrow
02-20-2015, 06:59 AM

What I have read/heard from runners and fitness folks is that it helps them not need to recover as much. The compression helps the muscles take less of a beating during a run or hard workout as it stabilizes them and prevents the muscles from jostling as much. It might not be much, but it is enough to help them get out and run again the next day rather than take a recovery day.

As for actually improving performance I think over a long run, those muscles might fatigue less.

oldpotatoe
02-20-2015, 07:07 AM
When I was a productive member of society (working) I was walking or on my feet in our stores often for many hours a day. I found that calf compression socks worked extremely well to prevent/relieve the accompanying soreness and aches.

I have 'venous stasis', in my right leg. Swelling, red, some skin 'things' as a result when I stood up all day. Got compression sock for my right leg. Worked amazingly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venous_stasis

BUT get a medical grade one, mine from

www.brightlifedirect.com

'sports' ones, altho labeled and marketed, don't really give enough 'squish' to be really effective.

Ti Designs
02-20-2015, 07:18 AM
I use recovery socks to rescue other lost socks that don't make it back from the laundry.

soulspinner
02-20-2015, 09:08 AM
I use recovery socks to rescue other lost socks that don't make it back from the laundry.

:p