PDA

View Full Version : Now I need carbon handlebar help!

saab2000
03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi Folks,

As some of you undoubtedly are aware, I have purchased a Modolo Curvissima handlebar for use with my new bike. Before anyone chides me for jumping on the bandwagon, let me justify my purchase by saying that I bought them not to save weight, but rather because these bars have a unique shape. They seem to be fairly similar to the old Cinelli 65s, though that is not really the case because they had more reach.

Anyway, my new ride will arrive shortly and I must decide on a stem. I am a bit nervous here. I do not know what length I will need, other than to say that it will be at least a 13 cm, but that is not really the question here.

The reason I am posting this is that I REALLY to not want to damage the bars on the first installation. They were ridiculously expensive!!

A poster earlier said that I need to have a closed faceplate stem. But on the fine print on the bar it merely says that the handlebar and stem must not be "perforated". I take this to mean that it should not have holes cut into it for cables. Well, I ain't gonna do that. It has good grooves already.

Anyway, good advice is given that the stem needs to have rounded edges, and there may be no cuts to the carbon, etc. All good advice.

Now I want your advice. Are there any tips on how to install this thing? I do not want to crush it, but I don't want it to slip either. Is 2-bolt or 4-bolt better? The Easton stem is ugly, but it appears that the bolts do not screw right into the stem, but rather into a nut. Is this a good choice?

Any tips?

lithiapark
03-20-2004, 09:21 AM
ITM Millenium works well with Easton EC90 bar. The ITM has a two bolt face plate. It is accurately made, there is full contact of the face plate with the bar, so no focal pressure points around the circumference of the bar. The ends of the face plate are curved so the edge contact is spread over a larger area. All of this will minimize the development of stress risers. Some argue that 4 bolt face plates are more rigid, and hence are more likely to have increased stress at the edges of the face plate-a little flex will allow pressure to spread over a larger area.

After I was sure I had the stem I wanted, I took some small rasps and emery cloth to the edges of the handlebar hole in the stem. I made a small radius and then polished it very smooth, in an effort to reduce stress risers.

The Easton bar has a gritty material in the epoxy at the stem contact point which seems to assist nicely with holding the bar securely, don't have to tighten the clamp much and the bar is very secure.

zap
03-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Thomson is a great choice. A little heavy, 120@200g but is a clean solid design. Wide 4 bolt handlebar clamp. Fantastic precise machining. Follow the torque directions and your carbon bars will be fine. My Thomson stem has been kinder to the Easton Carbon bar than the Deda Newton.

See post on ITM Uniko. Maybe the future for carbon bar & stems?