PDA

View Full Version : Hour Record

oldpotatoe
01-31-2015, 07:15 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/jack-bobridge-hour-record-attempt-2015/results

"it’s the closest I’ll ever be without dying I think ," Bobridge told reporters

Black Dog
01-31-2015, 07:34 AM
One hour of pure suffering. :help: Ouch. At least is was self induced.

MattTuck
01-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Well done UCI. Cancellara, who had a legitimate shot at putting up a new hour record time (you know, the real record), has lost interest thanks to your rule changes and attempts to 'get more people interested'.

sigh.

weisan
01-31-2015, 09:39 AM
>>Such was the exertion of Bobridge's efforts, he was only able to get off his bike with assistance and removing the front wheel.

Yikes :D

I didn't know hour attempt serves the same purpose for enlargement procedure.

:p

dekindy
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
I have no idea what taking the front wheel off has to do with getting off the bike. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Maybe Cancellera should stop whining and break the new record on a drop bar bike, Merckx style. That would be true Spartacus stuff. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choke
01-31-2015, 10:43 AM
I have no idea what taking the front wheel off has to do with getting off the bike. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.He apparently didn't have enough energy left to lift his leg, so they removed the front wheel and pulled the bike out from under him. You can see it at 1:40:30 here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&v=Gib8TVFbPRA&x

FlashUNC
01-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Maybe Cancellera should stop whining and break the new record on a drop bar bike, Merckx style. That would be true Spartacus stuff. 😉

Exactly. Nothing stopping him from trying it drop bar style.

Shame for Bobridge, but it seems like he went out too fast and ran out of juice.

ctcyclistbob
01-31-2015, 10:57 AM
He apparently didn't have enough energy left to lift his leg, so they removed the front wheel and pulled the bike out from under him. You can see it at 1:40:30 here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&v=Gib8TVFbPRA&x

Wow. Talk about leaving everything on the field ...

malbecman
01-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Agreed, he looked completely wiped out after that effort.

guido
01-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Shows Jen's effort was pretty serious after all...

CunegoFan
01-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Shows Jen's effort was pretty serious after all...

Maybe it shows these track guys are big fish in a small pond. They are struggling to beat a 40+ year old journeyman road pro who was never an elite time trialist.

New aussi record but would Bobridge have beaten Cooke's distance if he used the same equipment?

BdaGhisallo
02-01-2015, 03:57 AM
This chart tells the story. Bobridge went waaay too hard in the opening laps and screwed himself. Once you put yourself in that hole, there's no way to get out of it during the Hour attempt.

Louis
02-01-2015, 04:17 AM
I wonder: He says it's the hardest record in terms of pain, but I have to believe that something like RAAM, which is much longer, tops that for total amount of suffering. Hour after hour after hour, day after day. Mentally that's got to be much more challenging.

Caveat: I have no clue what I'm talking about, just speculating, since obviously I've never done (nor will I ever do) anything remotely like what these guys do.

jimoots
02-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Maybe it's because I'm australian and this has clogged up my newsfeed... I find the armchair 'stuff' (coaching/advice/theorising/discussion/comparisons/whining) around this really frustrating and tiring.

Queue discussion about elevation.

It's good there's some new blood chasing it and it's good someone failed, even if it seems that he failed cause he put himself in a hole.

nm87710
02-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Queue discussion about elevation.

Aguascalientes.

malbecman
02-01-2015, 04:36 PM
This chart tells the story. Bobridge went waaay too hard in the opening laps and screwed himself. Once you put yourself in that hole, there's no way to get out of it during the Hour attempt.

Thanks for that graph. It really shows how consistent Jens was in his lap times plus he had enough left in the tank to go hard at the end. Pretty letter-perfect.

Bobridge kept getting slower plus there was a lot more variability in his speeds/lap times.

nooneline
02-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Maybe it shows these track guys are big fish in a small pond. They are struggling to beat a 40+ year old journeyman road pro who was never an elite time trialist.

New aussi record but would Bobridge have beaten Cooke's distance if he used the same equipment?

what?

Bobridge veat Voigt's distance. He just didn't beat the record - which was set by Mathias Brandle.