PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: Moving to Virginia!

fourflys
01-30-2015, 10:15 PM
So we found out today that I got orders to Norfolk, VA. I will be so happy to OUT of Alaska... I know SE VA doesn't have the best riding, but it's better than the no riding I'm doing here... riding in Kodiak doesn't being me any joy...

So, does anyone have some good info on Hampton Roads, VA? Thinking we'll be living in the Chesapeake/western Portsmouth area for reference...

Thanks,
Chris

thegunner
01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
quite the contrary, i think VA has some of the nicest riding in the country :)

fourflys
01-30-2015, 10:30 PM

good to hear! I've lived there twice but I wasn't riding then... I know the immediate area I'll be in is pretty flat, but there is nice riding not far away I think...

Ken Robb
01-30-2015, 10:47 PM
It is across the state but a few days on The Blueridge Parkway would be a delightful long weekend.

Benneke
01-30-2015, 11:29 PM
Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest are only 3 hours away, and they have the best road riding I have ever experienced. The mountains combined with the scenery and the lack of traffic on most roads make the area really special. There is also the sheer volume of roads that makes it unique, there are so many options! If I lived in Norfolk I would be trying to get out there every weekend, especially in the fall.

Louis
01-31-2015, 01:53 AM
Check with SAAB2000 - doesn't he live around there? (Virginia Beach, I think)

Ralph
01-31-2015, 06:36 AM
I believe there is a very active cycling club in Hampton area. Lots of riding. I have a brother who lives in Hampton Roads area on water, he loves it there.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2015, 06:37 AM
So we found out today that I got orders to Norfolk, VA. I will be so happy to OUT of Alaska... I know SE VA doesn't have the best riding, but it's better than the no riding I'm doing here... riding in Kodiak doesn't being me any joy...

So, does anyone have some good info on Hampton Roads, VA? Thinking we'll be living in the Chesapeake/western Portsmouth area for reference...

Thanks,
Chris

Congratulations and stop pissing people off and they won't send you to places like Alaska!!

Kidding of course, but I lived in Va Bch off and on for about 8 years and really loved the area. Not Norfolk but spent a fair amount of time there, liked the area. Green, wooded, flat. As has been mentioned, nice places west.

Also nice road trip down the outer banks to Hatteras, thru Kitty hawk.

People who live in the Commonwealth of Virginia rival those in Texas for being loyal to their state, BTW.

fourflys
01-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Congratulations and stop pissing people off and they won't send you to places like Alaska!!

Kidding of course, but I lived in Va Bch off and on for about 8 years and really loved the area. Not Norfolk but spent a fair amount of time there, liked the area. Green, wooded, flat. As has been mentioned, nice places west.

Also nice road trip down the outer banks to Hatteras, thru Kitty hawk.

People who live in the Commonwealth of Virginia rival those in Texas for being loyal to their state, BTW.

Thanks Peter... this new job might require me to piss a few people off since I'll be the Command Master Chief for our Health, Safety, Work Life Service Center (think product line)... I'm looking forward to it for sure!

I do plan a few trip down to the Outer Banks and I hear the century out of Elizabeth City is really good...

Chris

BobC
01-31-2015, 02:09 PM
PM me when you get here in Va Beach. Both Pungo & Fentress have nice riding areas. Pretty robust race scene in the state & NC. Gets boring sometimes with the lack of hills but the constant headwinds (from all directions) more than make up for it.

Are getting stationed in Norfolk, Little Creek or Dam Neck?

Cheers, BobC

fourflys
01-31-2015, 02:24 PM
PM me when you get here in Va Beach. Both Pungo & Fentress have nice riding areas. Pretty robust race scene in the state & NC. Gets boring sometimes with the lack of hills but the constant headwinds (from all directions) more than make up for it.

Are getting stationed in Norfolk, Little Creek or Dam Neck?

Cheers, BobC

I've heard about the headwind from every direction regardless... ;)

I'll be working downtown Norfolk in the Main St tower, I'm Coast Guard vs. Navy...

Thanks Bob!

malcolm
01-31-2015, 03:14 PM
If you fish it's pretty nice there, inshore and offshore.

Ken Robb
01-31-2015, 03:24 PM

As evidenced by Robert E. Lee and others. :)

Ken Robb
01-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks Peter... this new job might require me to piss a few people off since I'll be the Command Master Chief for our Health, Safety, Work Life Service Center (think product line)... I'm looking forward to it for sure!

I do plan a few trip down to the Outer Banks and I hear the century out of Elizabeth City is really good...

Chris

Congratulations on your plum assignment. You must be doing everything right-----or you don't get caught. :banana:

fourflys
01-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Congratulations on your plum assignment. You must be doing everything right-----or you don't get caught. :banana:

Thanks Ken, it was my #1 pick... there are a couple perks for my purgatory in Alaska... I just wish there was a spot for me in San Diego still... ;)

Drmojo
01-31-2015, 04:42 PM

Indeed!
Especially west of Charlottesville where I lived and commuted
by bike to Staunton over the Afton Gap--
Home of June Curry, the famed "cookie
lady" who passed out cookies to riders
and put up TransAm riders for the night
RIP June

saab2000
01-31-2015, 06:04 PM
If you enjoy riding the same flat 20 mile loop over and over and over and over.... You get the picture... You'll love riding in VA Beach.

Western Virginia is a cycling wonderland. Eastern Virginia is not a cycling wonderland.

My lease is up in Sept. and I'm not sure I'll stay. It's a terrible place to be a cyclist. That said, there are some fast riders whose idea of a group ride is a 28 MPH pace line where riders get dropped every mile and the same 2 or 3 riders finish together.

Try for San Diego.

BobC
01-31-2015, 07:19 PM
If you enjoy riding the same flat 20 mile loop over and over and over and over.... You get the picture... You'll love riding in VA Beach.

Western Virginia is a cycling wonderland. Eastern Virginia is not a cycling wonderland.

My lease is up in Sept. and I'm not sure I'll stay. It's a terrible place to be a cyclist. That said, there are some fast riders whose idea of a group ride is a 28 MPH pace line where riders get dropped every mile and the same 2 or 3 riders finish together.

Try for San Diego.

it's not that bad. In fact, for a racer, it is good. For a tri or TT guy, it is very good
- you can ride year round here. Period.
- there are lots of different routes. just gotta find them. Fentress is far better than Pungo (in my most humble opinion).

Saab, you are riding with the wrong folks. You will find the same type of A+ uber-tools anywhere.

Cheers, BobC

pcxmbfj
01-31-2015, 07:39 PM
Some great mountain biking south of Norfolk at Angler's Ridge in Danbury.
Site of several races and 24hr events.
I've ridden there and on trails in Williamsburg.
Stanton, VA used to have a fall foliage road century and a mountain epic on a fall weekend.
White water at the New River and the Appalachian Trial in the mountains.
Most East Coast states have good variety.

saab2000
02-01-2015, 05:00 AM
it's not that bad. In fact, for a racer, it is good. For a tri or TT guy, it is very good
- you can ride year round here. Period.
- there are lots of different routes. just gotta find them. Fentress is far better than Pungo (in my most humble opinion).

Saab, you are riding with the wrong folks. You will find the same type of A+ uber-tools anywhere.

Cheers, BobC

Yes, Fentress is better than Pungo, but you basically need to drive there. I can get to that area but only by riding over the Pungo Ferry Bridge. One of my cardinal rules is that I don't like to drive to bike rides, otherwise that would be an option.

There's more over there, I agree with that. But it's still flat as a pancake and only accessible by a couple of busy roads. Once on those roads it's nice, but getting there can be rough and dangerous by bike.

Years ago I went on some rides from Portsmouth that went out into the Suffolk area and there things seemed to open up a bit and the roads, while not hilly by any stretch, at least weren't totally flat.

majorpat
02-01-2015, 05:57 AM
If the Jewish Mother is still open, they make a great sandwich. Not sure about the biking

ScottM
02-01-2015, 07:37 AM
I think the area is great. I lived and worked there for many years and hope to retire there. The quality of life is good, nice weather, affordable housing and nice people. The nice weather is conducive to year round cycling but it can be monotonous if you like terrain changes. Learn to embrace the flat ground and concentrate on the area's other amenities.

Scott

Gummee
02-01-2015, 07:42 AM
quite the contrary, i think VA has some of the nicest riding in the country :)Shhhh! We're full.

Lots of racing down in Tidewater.

Riding is pretty well gonna be flat with a headwind, flat with a sidewind, or flat with a tailwind.

Lots of great riding 'close.' If you wanna road-trip, there's great stuff to be had. If you like gravel, try round Wintergreen (Devil's Backbone rides, Ballers from across the hall) Hilly Billy Roubaix up in West-by-doG, Iron Cross up in PA, there's another ultra cross ride down Boone way. etc etc etc The Mid-Atlantic is a hotbed of CX. The VA series races closer to you than the MABRA series. There's a car racing track down in Richmond that hosts bicycle races. Closest thing to a velodrome we have in the area. :cry

M

sc53
02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Come ride Bike Virginia in late June! It was in the Williamsburg/Jamestown/Chester area last year, this year in the hilly mountain country of Abingdon VA. Always a ton of fun.
http://bikevirginia.org

unterhausen
02-01-2015, 12:39 PM
when I lived in Blacksburg, I was always jealous of how the tidewater folks could ride year-round. Otherwise, not really that jealous

fourflys
02-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm getting excited about the prospects of riding again and I'm glad there is some dirt to ride as well...

I'm really looking forward to racing cross again... I'm sure I'll miss the hills of San Diego but since I haven't been riding for the last two years to speak of I don't think I'll miss them for a while... ;)

and I'm not afraid to take a drive every now and then for some new country...

Thanks!

Gummee
02-01-2015, 03:36 PM
when I lived in Blacksburg, I was always jealous of how the tidewater folks could ride year-round. Otherwise, not really that jealous

The only time I **stopped** riding when I was at Tech was deer season. ...and that was only in the woods!

Otherwise? Year round.

Lots of great memories of the 'Bender Loop' down the valley next to the snow-covered creek(s), etc

No denying that it was cold at times, but there's no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate gear.

M

Gummee
02-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm getting excited about the prospects of riding again and I'm glad there is some dirt to ride as well...

I'm really looking forward to racing cross again... I'm sure I'll miss the hills of San Diego but since I haven't been riding for the last two years to speak of I don't think I'll miss them for a while... ;)

and I'm not afraid to take a drive every now and then for some new country...

Thanks!

Hit me up if you wanna go explorating around Wintergreen. I know 2 out of 3 of the Devil's Backbone routes. Worst case, Ican get GPX files.

Check out the Baller's ride from across the hall too. Same basic area. Completely different cast of characters.

M

fourflys
02-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Hit me up if you wanna go explorating around Wintergreen. I know 2 out of 3 of the Devil's Backbone routes. Worst case, Ican get GPX files.

Check out the Baller's ride from across the hall too. Same basic area. Completely different cast of characters.

M

Baller's Ride looks awesome, but I think I might be a couple seasons away from that type of fitness... I'll tell what I totally looking forward to right off the bat is CX Nationals in Asheville NC! That will awesome!

Thanks for the offer!

mg2ride
02-02-2015, 08:19 AM
If you are a skinny guy that is used to being in the lead when the elevations changes and you still long to be one of the stronger riders, you will likely be disappointed with the riding locally. If you can accept you place in the hierarchy of local riders and find similar riders to share your time with, you may fall in love with the area. SAAB is correct in that there are not too many places that you can live and ride from your front door.

saab2000
02-02-2015, 08:27 AM
If you are a skinny guy that is used to being in the lead when the elevations changes and you still long to be one of the stronger riders, you will likely be disappointed with the riding locally. If you can accept you place in the hierarchy of local riders and find similar riders to share your time with, you may fall in love with the area. SAAB is correct in that there are not too many places that you can live and ride from your front door.

This is a correct assessment. I live in SE Virginia Beach specifically because I can get on my bike and ride out into the country, or what passes for country. It's Pungo, which isn't really desolate, but for the most part I can ride unmolested down in that area. If I want to go longer I go over the Pungo Ferry Bridge over the Northwest River Park. This is about a 50 mile ride from my apartment.

The issue here is that so much riding is out and back with a bit of ability to create some small loops off that out and back stretch.

One other thing... I live near a shop called Fat Frog's. There are two of these and I think they are no longer affiliated. Both have rides. The one near me has a ride virtually ever day at 0730. This is pretty nice and has a few folks from a C Pace to a couple true beatdowns per week at an A+++ pace. It's basically a race in those groups.

I can't comment on the OP's situation in Alaska.... That sounds hit or miss and in his situation, mostly a cycling miss. But I think he may find that SE Virginia has some real limitations as well.

The area near Wintergreen, on the other hand, is spectacular for cycling. But that's a 3-hour+ drive from here.

fourflys
02-02-2015, 10:15 AM

that does not describe me in the least... ;)

We're probably looking at the Chesapeake area...

saab2000
02-02-2015, 11:03 AM
that does not describe me in the least... ;)

We're probably looking at the Chesapeake area...

The area south of Chesapeake has some pretty decent riding. Better than where I l live in VA Beach but you sort of have to drive to the rides. The road down there, Centerville, is pretty busy and narrow and has a metal mesh bridge you have to go over and frankly, you pretty much couldn't pay me to ride my bike over that bridge and there's no sidewalk and no alternative.