PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding in the Smoky Mountains

Benneke
01-30-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm planning a riding trip to the Great Smoky Mountains for late February and need some advice. I've never been there in the winter, and I am wondering what the road conditions are like. I live in Ohio so I'm used to the cold, but I'm a bit worried about what the road conditions will be like. Will the roads be icy or is it far enough south that the roads stay safe in the winter? Also, any ride/route recommendations would be welcome. I'm looking to do lots of climbing and maybe hit some dirt roads.
Thanks!

Ralph
01-30-2015, 08:26 PM
The Great Smokey Mountains cover a large area. Lots of roads and towns. However.....The Blue Ridge Parkway will probably be closed due to snow and ice.

If me.....I would forget bikes, and bring some hiking boots. But it really depends on where you are going. Can probably do some mtn biking.

Benneke
01-30-2015, 08:34 PM
I will be based in the foothills southeast of Knoxville

rwsaunders
01-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Maybe consider Greenville, SC and the surround area that time of year. As Ralph indicated, weather can be iffy in the Blue Ridge area in the early Spring. Hey, you can even stay at Big George's place.

HenryA
01-30-2015, 10:17 PM
It could be 50 degrees and sunny or it could be snow and ice and -10 degrees. There is potential for riding all winter but its not something you can plan on. February is the toughest month for riding here.

Will you be around Maryville? You could drive over to Townsend and ride from the park entrance up to Cades Cove and do the loop, then back down. Assuming its decent weather and the road is open. It could be fun. There are also some loops to do from Townsend on the other side of the Little River from the highway - lower and flatter.

If its a question of taking your bike or not, I suggest you look at the forecast just before you leave home. Tomorrow Townsend is supposed to be 49 and sunny. The end of February could be similar. Or not.

Benneke
01-30-2015, 11:21 PM
I will probably be staying in the Sevierville area, and I'm planning on riding Little River Gorge Rd for sure, it looks very cool. This trip will be specifically for riding, and I'm leaning towards this area but am open to recommendations of other places to do a 3-4 day riding trip in the southern Appalachia region. I really want to ride up and over 441 through the national park, it seems like they open and close it pretty frequently in the winter so I have my fingers crossed that it will be open when I'm there. Has anyone ridden that road? It looks like an amazing ride, but riding up a 5,000+ ft pass in winter might not be the best idea...

OtayBW
01-31-2015, 08:18 AM
You might try riding on the NW flank of the Smokies - perhaps down along Wear Valley between ~Seymore and Maryville (as I recall...been a while since I lived there). Or head NW out of the Sevierville/Seymore areas. Or perhaps the Foothills road(s). Or possibly just a short ride up around Cades Cove. Up in the Spruce-Fir zone of the park proper will likely be locked in or closed.

Lovetoclimb
01-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Asheville has just as many moutains nearby and much more predictable weather IMO. Some dirt roads, easy to put together a 5 hr all dirt/gravel day within a 45 minute drive as well.

Benneke
01-31-2015, 09:45 AM
I was reluctant to go to Asheville just because its farther from me, but I didn't realize the weather was that much better there. In that case, I might need to rethink my plans

HenryA
01-31-2015, 12:05 PM
I agree that Asheville may be a better idea.

Ken Robb
01-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Can you keep your plans flexible so if weather is bad you can head farther south? Can you delay the trip until Spring? I was surprised to learn from Ralph that there are hills in central Florida. :)

sandyrs
01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
From experience I can tell you it's a bad idea to plan a cycling-specific trip to somewhere where road conditions might make riding unpleasant/unsafe.

Ralph
01-31-2015, 02:17 PM
I own some property close to Asheville (farm land near Lake Lure), so spend some time around there. And there is no way I would plan a cycling trip in late February to Asheville. Weather could be about anything, and as sure as I planed the trip, they would probably get one of their big late winter early spring snows.

If you live around there (Hendersonville, Black Mtn, Old Fort, Marion, Spruce Pine, etc), I agree there are many days in winter where you can get a ride in. It's beautiful country and certainly worth visiting, but if the trip is all about riding on the road, I wouldn't plan that happening. It might, it might not.