PDA

View Full Version : No words to describe.....

Argos
04-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank G-d we are past this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBPXKEwaP4&search=bicycle

saab2000
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank G-d we are past this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbBPXKEwaP4&search=bicycle

I loved that video back then.

OldDog
04-04-2006, 03:08 PM
French fit

zank
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
They are flying without having to pedal very hard. I wish I was that fit.

But why did they ride away from the girls in white? Very...ummm...vague.

andy mac
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
isn't that normal? most of my bike rides are like that.

davids
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM
***? If anyone complains that the quality of music videos has declined over the years - just show them that.

These guys rocked:

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_music/jam_01.JPG

The Style Council? Well, watch that video.

SoCalSteve
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
They are flying without having to pedal very hard. I wish I was that fit.

But why did they ride away from the girls in white? Very...ummm...vague.

Movie magic!

After 26 years in the movie business, I can tell you this...When the 2 cyclists are being shot head on, they are being pulled by what we call an "insert car" or "camera car"....This is a very modified heavy duty large pick up truck that they mount cameras to the back of.....and they tow the vehicle (in this case, bicycles) behind it on a trailer. That's why they do not have to pedal very much and look like they are going very quickly....Its all an illusion.

Hope this doesnt spoil anything for anyone.

Steve

Chief
04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Movie magic!

After 26 years in the movie business, I can tell you this...When the 2 cyclists are being shot head on, they are being pulled by what we call an "insert car" or "camera car"....This is a very modified heavy duty large pick up truck that they mount cameras to the back of.....and they tow the vehicle (in this case, bicycles) behind it on a trailer. That's why they do not have to pedal very much and look like they are going very quickly....Its all an illusion.

Hope this doesnt spoil anything for anyone.

Steve

Suprising? Yes, but now that I think of it how else would one be able to keep them in focus and at a fixed distance from the camera; i.e.,the same size in the pic.

EPOJoe
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
And I thought Weller had lost his mind when he walked away from The Jam. Now it all makes sense. He never would have been able to get Foxton and Buckler to participate in this video, so he ditches an incredible bass player and drummer so he can snag himself a riding buddy. Ugg...
P.S.: Foxton and Buckler wouldn't have run away from those women.

Dr. Doofus
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM
weller got that they'd had gone as far as they could go

the gift was weak...good move

the live version of in the city on dig the new breed, and the demo of that's entertainment were kick azz...

all hail the rick through an ac30

EPOJoe
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
weller got that they'd had gone as far as they could go
Yeah, as far as they could go down his bizarre "Motown sound" road. I think Weller's desire to break in the States eventually drove him to some odd musical choices, which did more harm than good. All you have to do is look at the success of groups like Green Day and now Franz Ferdinand to see that The Jam could have eventually done well here, with their original sound, sans horns, if they were handled properly. After all, who can resist that Rick through an AC30...

PS: On the recently released DVD set of Jam videos, there's a live clip of them playing on some TV show, I think it was from the Setting Sons period. Weller's got the AC30 behind him, but if you look off stage to his right, you can see that the axe is actually running into some mic'd, tiny Peavey Bandit practice amp. The horror...

Big Dan
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Going Underground............... :)

manet
04-04-2006, 09:08 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mglff.com/homepage/travelpage.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.mglff.com/&h=205&w=147&sz=3&tbnid=taglm1rLHyjW0M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=71&hl=en&start=11&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgay%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26 sa%3DG

Fixed
04-04-2006, 09:12 PM
bro was one if those cats boy george ?
cheers

Dr. Doofus
04-05-2006, 07:27 AM
[QUOTE=EPOJoe]Yeah, as far as they could go down his bizarre "Motown sound" road. I think Weller's desire to break in the States eventually drove him to some odd musical choices, which did more harm than good. QUOTE]

you need to understand the role of stax/tamla/motown/atlantic r&b in the 60s mod scene, and the whole northern soul subculture...the punk trip was played out by 82, and weller was mining the r&b vein to keep his mod-to-the-future vision going...that direction was getting coopted by evil pop, so weller went in another direction entirely after the jam...it a pretty consistent thread of development if you get his influences....

the purple hearts were a great punk/mod band, but its almost impossible to find their stuff...no label grabbed em....

Grant McLean
04-05-2006, 07:41 AM
you need to understand the role of stax/tamla/motown/atlantic r&b in the 60s mod scene, and the whole northern soul subculture...the punk trip was played out by 82, and weller was mining the r&b vein to keep his mod-to-the-future vision going...that direction was getting coopted by evil pop, so weller went in another direction entirely after the jam...it a pretty consistent thread of development if you get his influences....

doof,

wow, we shared the same youth music experience!
i could have written that post!

I think though, that I'm possibly the only person alive who was ready
for Paul to move on from the Jam. I got into Jazz at the about the same
time in high school, and I totally got the Style Council thing, even though
all my friends thought I was nuts.

g

catulle
04-05-2006, 08:13 AM
peloton music...

davids
04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Going Underground............... :)
A-effen-MEN!

One of very few songs that gets to me every time I hear it.

PeterW
04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm late to this discussion, but as always thank G for the Doof. It totally s*cks that we are "beyond" this. This video is so right in so many ways.

Style Council is one of the most underrated bands. Weller ditching the Jam in 1982 for Gitanes and espadrilles was pure genius. It took serious b*lls for him to make that move in his early 20s, when the Jam had the most intense following of any band of the era. This had NOTHING to do with breaking into the States, and everything to do with breaking into the South of France.

(That Green Day is popular 20 years later is reason enough for Weller to stay ahead of everyone else. As much as I like (LOVE) the Buzzcocks, three-chord pop/punk trio stuff gets pretty old).

I am the ONLY one who thinks "Our Favorite Shop" is the greatest record cover of all time?! A shop with R&B vinyl AND wool cycling kit!

I love (LOVE) the Jam, but Weller was musically heads and shoulders above the other guys. With the Style Council, he hooked up with Steve White (then a teenager) who has become the most important British drummer since Bonham. White has played with Weller since, over 20 years.

Doesn't anyone here follow Weller's solo career?! It is extraordinary. Since a teenager (and for almost 30 years), Paul Weller has been consistently fantastic. And his clothes!

Someone said it earlier, R&B music had (has) an awesome influence on working-class Brits. Northern Soul anyone?

BTW, the girls in white were at the finish line. They ride to them, not away. Anyone who thinks otherwise don't know Weller!

Saxon
04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Mystery solved!! Grant, Peter and Doof were the 3 people that bought Style Council albums! :D

Dr. Doofus
04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Mystery solved!! Grant, Peter and Doof were the 3 people that bought Style Council albums! :D

never bought one

just kept listening to snap for another decade

doof was getting deep into stooges/new york dolls/ velvets during the style council years (doof's band didn't wear no stinkin espadrilles!)

Bill Bove
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
...can't believe that I used to dress like that! No, wait, I still do...

Bittersweet
04-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Actually most liberal arts college students in the mid to late 80's bought the Style Council albums. Weller's self titled album of 1992 is brilliant by the way.

Bittersweet
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
never bought one

doof was getting deep into stooges/new york dolls/ velvets during the style council years (doof's band didn't wear no stinkin espadrilles!)

Was the doof clad in tight lycra and/or wool with Duego 101s with oak soles at the time? If not it may explain the lack of espadrilles. Was is 2" NaNa creepers and black denim?

taz-t
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
all hail the rick through an ac30

YES!!! Anybody gotta JetGlo 330 they wanna trade for a bike?

sidebar for Doof: Best 80's band out of Carolina? (North or South)

dB's? Let's Active? Fetchin' Bones? Other?

If you say 'Hootie', someone's getting slapped!

- taz

GoJavs
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
You don't have to take this cr@p
You don't have to sit back and relax
You can actually try to change it
I know we've always been taught to rely
Upon those in authority
But you never know until you try
How things just might be
If we come together so strongly

But, that was still NOT quite as good as:

Whispers in the shadows - gruff blazing voices
Hating, waiting
Hey boy they shout - have you got any money?
And I said - I’ve a little money and a take away curry,
I’m on my way home to my wife.
She’ll be lining up the cutlery,
You know she’s expecting me
Polishing the glasses and pulling out the cork
And I’m down in the tube station at midnight

davids
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
never bought one

You did the right thing. The Velvet Underground vs. the Style Council? The mind boggles...

But I hope you didn't miss the holy trinity of '84: Meat Puppets II, Zen Arcade, and Let It Be.

GoJavs
04-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Cool! Saw them in the mid-80s w/ R.E.M. at James L. Knight Center in Downtown Miami...

Predicting puts me down on shaky ground
I keep thinking your looking at me
Do you want me around

Dr. Doofus
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM

- taz

let's active -- though hope kicked butt with fetchin bones

Dr. Doofus
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
You did the right thing. The Velvet Underground vs. the Style Council? The mind boggles...

But I hope you didn't miss the holy trinity of '84: Meat Puppets II, Zen Arcade, and Let It Be.

life went downhill after doof's cruddy band opened for the replacements (bob stinson went home with doof's instantly ex-girlfriend) and husker du. the minneapolis scene was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant....

davids
04-05-2006, 04:15 PM

- taz

She took his car
She took his bike
She took everything
She thought he'd like
She took everything in one big haul
She left his amplifier

davids
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
life went downhill after doof's cruddy band opened for the replacements (bob stinson went home with doof's instantly ex-girlfriend) and husker du. the minneapolis scene was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant....
Agreed. Strange what Prince spawned.

A friend turned me on to Meat Puppet II - Talk about idiot savants... We took another friend to see them, raving about the record. They sucked. Fast, sloppy, heavy metal.

I returned the friend's favor with Lolita Nation (still a one-hander atmo.) For bonus points, what's the Carolina connection here?

taz-t
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Agreed. Strange what Prince spawned.

A friend turned me on to Meat Puppet II - Talk about idiot savants... We took another friend to see them, raving about the record. They sucked. Fast, sloppy, heavy metal.

I returned the friend's favor with Lolita Nation (still a one-hander atmo.) For bonus points, what's the Carolina connection here?

Just a guess... Game Theory, right? Mitch Easter produced?

Where can I find 'She's Hot'? I know it's the Puppets but don't know the album.

she's hot
I know
she is
she told me so

- taz

davids
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Just a guess... Game Theory, right? Mitch Easter produced?

Where can I find 'She's Hot'? I know it's the Puppets but don't know the album.

she's hot
I know
she is
she told me so

- taz
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f587/f58717zhvt1.jpg

Bingo. And a few years later, Mitch stole Scott Miller's wife, Shalini. Inspiring Scott to write Interbabe Concern, which is nearly as fantastic as Lolita Nation:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd900/d911/d91190qwjlu.jpg

She's Hot? That would be Out My Way:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd500/d542/d54273gu740.jpg

.. I'm going home now...

Grant McLean
04-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm late to this discussion, but as always thank G for the Doof. It totally s*cks that we are "beyond" this. This video is so right in so many ways.

Style Council is one of the most underrated bands. Weller ditching the Jam in 1982 for Gitanes and espadrilles was pure genius. It took serious b*lls for him to make that move in his early 20s, when the Jam had the most intense following of any band of the era. This had NOTHING to do with breaking into the States, and everything to do with breaking into the South of France.

(That Green Day is popular 20 years later is reason enough for Weller to stay ahead of everyone else. As much as I like (LOVE) the Buzzcocks, three-chord pop/punk trio stuff gets pretty old).

I am the ONLY one who thinks "Our Favorite Shop" is the greatest record cover of all time?! A shop with R&B vinyl AND wool cycling kit!

I love (LOVE) the Jam, but Weller was musically heads and shoulders above the other guys. With the Style Council, he hooked up with Steve White (then a teenager) who has become the most important British drummer since Bonham. White has played with Weller since, over 20 years.

Doesn't anyone here follow Weller's solo career?! It is extraordinary. Since a teenager (and for almost 30 years), Paul Weller has been consistently fantastic. And his clothes!

Someone said it earlier, R&B music had (has) an awesome influence on working-class Brits. Northern Soul anyone?

BTW, the girls in white were at the finish line. They ride to them, not away. Anyone who thinks otherwise don't know Weller!

You aren't the only one. "our favorite shop" is a favorite of mine too.
I've still got every Style Council single and LP on vinyl. (there's actually
quite a few of them all together! I remember going down to the hip record
shops downtown to look for new releases almost every week. Wow, the
internet has made that a lot easier!

Next topic: Billy Bragg !!!

-g

PeterW
04-06-2006, 12:42 PM

Not mine. It has gone better since my band (made up of me (high school nobody) and DC punk royalty (guys post-Minor Threat) opened for the Replacements at the 9:30 Club in DC early 85.

Backstage with them was pretty funny. But NOT better than opening for Bad Brains. I'm still coughing.

P.S. Agreed on Minneapolis scene. Bob Mould is another of my lifetime favs. But not so sure about his post-move to DC stuff (with Fuzagi drummer Canty). I'm all for him coming out of the closet, but his blog about gyms/protein shakes/cruising is a bit hard to take.

P.P.S. DC scene was always mazing. Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Rites of Spring, Fugazi, and don't forget go-go!