PDA

View Full Version : identifying Campy BB axles/cups

Rayomatic
01-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I've recently acquired a small lot of Campagnolo parts. Keeping what I need and selling off the rest.

I have an Italian bottom bracket with an axle marked 70-SS and shield logo. The charts I've found for that marking (http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html) give various possibilities (Record/Nuovo/Super etc), but I can't seem to find a listing for the length of 109mm, which seems more like a Pista length.

Just trying to figure out which group it belongs to. One BB cup is marked with a T inside a triangle (along the usual "36x24F Made in Italy"). Perhaps that gives another clue? I've searched velobase.com but still can't quite pin it down.

Another BB I got is just axle and cups, English thread, marked 68-SSG, black axle, so I gather it's an Athena. No special markings on the cups other than "1,370" X 24 TPI". That one has a 115mm axle.

Regards,
Dave

oliver1850
01-30-2015, 12:50 PM
I have an Athena 115.5 that is black and marked 68-SSG. The 1st generation Athena catalog (1988) specifies 116 spindle, mine measures a bit under that. I need an adjustable cup for the one I have. Ebay seller kindly included one from an AC-H.

There were some Pista 109 spindles in the mid 1960s. The catalog shows the "World" logo on them. I'll take a look at later catalogs for one with the shield.

SR Pista circa 1974: 109 but has World logo.

1984 catalog shows shield logo on GS spindle, World logos on NR and SR. Pista spindle length is 109, road Italian is 113.

1985 catalog shows spindle length of 109 for both road and track BBs. Shield logo is pictured on the C-Record Corsa and Pista, Victory and Triomphe spindles. The finishes are hard to see but C-Record looks to be polished, Victory kind of matte grey, and Triomphe black. Seems like your spindle could be road or track from this era. Perhaps you can determine the model based on the finish.

The 109 bb is a good one to have as it apparently fits Pista cranks back to at least 1967, and all the Triomphe/Victory/C-Record road doubles.

choke
01-30-2015, 12:59 PM
The 109mm is a Victory.

The black 115 (114 maybe?) is Triomphe.

zmudshark
01-30-2015, 01:06 PM
According to Sutherland's C-Record & Super Record had a 109 BB and 3/16" ball bearings. Victory also had a 109 BB w/ 1/4" ball bearings. Dimensions were different on both.

Rayomatic
01-30-2015, 02:18 PM
The parts included what I've figured out to be a 1985 Victory crankset, so a Victory BB makes perfect sense. I didn't think the parts would be related so never bothered to check that, but should have. Grazie mille!

oldpotatoe
01-31-2015, 06:04 AM
I've recently acquired a small lot of Campagnolo parts. Keeping what I need and selling off the rest.

I have an Italian bottom bracket with an axle marked 70-SS and shield logo. The charts I've found for that marking (http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html) give various possibilities (Record/Nuovo/Super etc), but I can't seem to find a listing for the length of 109mm, which seems more like a Pista length.

Just trying to figure out which group it belongs to. One BB cup is marked with a T inside a triangle (along the usual "36x24F Made in Italy"). Perhaps that gives another clue? I've searched velobase.com but still can't quite pin it down.

Another BB I got is just axle and cups, English thread, marked 68-SSG, black axle, so I gather it's an Athena. No special markings on the cups other than "1,370" X 24 TPI". That one has a 115mm axle.

Regards,
Dave

70-SS and 109mm is either Victory BB spindle or C Record. Thin cups, no rifling? Victory. 56.5mm from bearing seat to bearing seat.

Thick cups, rifling, 3/16 balls? C Record. 54mm from bearing seat to bearing seat.

68-SSg is Athena, made in 114 and 116mm

All from Sutherlands.