PDA

View Full Version : Stem angles

scottcw2
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Seems that the majority of stems come in a range of 0 to +/- 10* these days. I know a few companies make a +/- 17*.

I am trying to decide on the best angle to be able to start the riding season with the stem flipped up to bring the bars higher and closer, then turn it down when I have reached peak shape to stretch out a little more.

Does anyone else do this? if so, what angle do you find works best? do you use more than one stem to accomplish this? how many and what angles?

Thanks.

Ken Robb
04-04-2006, 01:08 PM
I think any stem that is more than 6 degrees up/down would give you too much (12 degrees) variation for you to be able to use the same in both positions comfortably.

Dave
04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
The most common 84/96 (+ or - 6) stem changes the bar height by about 2cm and the length by nearly one full size when it's flipped. The change is even greater for an 80/100, which raise the bars about 3.5cm when flipped. That's way moe change than I ever need.

Personally, I ride the same setup all season. To me a significant change would be moving the 5mm spacer on top of my stem to under the stem.

Roughly, stem angles go from 73 to 80 to 84 to 90 to 96 to 100 degrees. Every step raises the bars in the range of 7-10mm.