PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Irvine, CA

fa63
01-29-2015, 03:37 PM
I will be in Irvine this weekend and wanted to see if there are any group rides that members here participate in. Looking to get some miles in the early morning hours before family time; preferably a 7 am-ish start and rides around 2 hours long, which to me means about 30-40 miles depending on how hilly it is.

Thanks!

donevwil
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
When I lived there I would hook up with the Canyon Velo ride (http://www.canyonvelo.org/index.php/about/weekly-rides)as they passed through Irvine (from the start in Orange). A bit later than you want, however.

You could also take advantage of a great bike trail system (http://www.octa.net/Share-the-Ride/Bike/Riding-in-Orange-County/OC-Bikeways-Map/)in the area (Irvine, Newport Coast, Back Bay) for a mellower outing.

CaptStash
01-29-2015, 04:00 PM
I have ridden with Lightning Velo out of Long Beach a bunch of times. They leave reasonably early and are quite pleasant. The A group rides pretty fast 22 +/-) but I hear that the B group is a bit more relaxed. They have a pretty good website for more info.

CaptStash....

mgm777
01-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Lived in Irvine and Newport for nearly 20 years....great area to ride. Here are some established rides:
1. Food Park Ride: Saturdays @ 8:30 -- meet at corner of MacArthur & Main
2. Coffee Crew Ride: Tuesdays @ 6:15 am -- meet at Campus & University
3. Como Street Ride: Sundays @ 8:00 am -- meet Tustin Market Place -- 5 Fwy and Jamboree.

These are all well attended group rides, every week.

Cicli
01-29-2015, 04:53 PM
A Road Bike 4u has a good ride on saturday mornings.
I like the shop too.

Ken Robb
01-29-2015, 06:21 PM
weather report says there may be showers.

cento1
01-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Correction of the Food park ride,,the start is at corner or Main and harvard ave.,,most of the riders taking breakfast at coffee bean and tea leaf caffe,then roll 830am,,Ill be there this week-end..but if you want a bit early ride you can jump in at canyon velo ride along irvine blvd corner Culver Ave,,they pass there before 8Am,it has two version of ride Long and short,,heres the link http://www.canyonvelo.org/index.php/about/weekly-rides

Lived in Irvine and Newport for nearly 20 years....great area to ride. Here are some established rides:
3. Como Street Ride: Sundays @ 8:00 am -- meet Tustin Market Place -- 5 Fwy and Jamboree.

Jaq
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM

+1 for the coffee crew folks. Good bunch of guys.

fa63
01-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I will check them out. The Canyon Velo ride looks particularly interesting.

Riding in rain is no big deal to us southern folks :-)

Uncle Jam's Army
01-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Correction of the Food park ride,,the start is at corner or Main and harvard ave.,,most of the riders taking breakfast at coffee bean and tea leaf caffe,then roll 830am,,Ill be there this week-end..but if you want a bit early ride you can jump in at canyon velo ride along irvine blvd corner Culver Ave,,they pass there before 8Am,it has two version of ride Long and short,,heres the link http://www.canyonvelo.org/index.php/about/weekly-rides

The Food Park ride starts between 8:40 and 8:50 a.m., depending on how lazy everybody is. As an alternative, you can start the Canyon Velo ride and, at Sand Canyon, a sizeable group turns right to go to the start of the Food Park ride. Or you can go straight on the Canyon Velo ride and do the long or short version. The long version is a really hard ride.

I'm doing the Food Park ride on Saturday. Drop by if you can. It would be good to meet another forumite.

Ken Robb
01-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I will check them out. The Canyon Velo ride looks particularly interesting.

Riding in rain is no big deal to us southern folks :-)

I just wanted you to bring appropriate clothing. I doubt you can rent a bike with fenders. :)

fa63
01-30-2015, 11:20 PM
I am going to ride out to the start of the Canyon Velo ride then ride back to Irvine with them. I might stop by at the Food Park ride to say hi and ride a few more miles. I will be on my brother's black Cannondale Six13 which is a bit to small for me.

mgm777
01-31-2015, 01:56 AM

Cento1 -- You are correct..my mistake...typed too fast...Food Park start: Harvard and Main. Thanks for the course correction.

fa63
02-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone, thanks again for the riding tips. I rode with the Canyon Velo guys on Saturday morning; strong group of riders and had a great time. Couldn't make it to the Food Park ride; would have loved to meet fellow forumites and I will try to do it next time when I visit the area alone and have no plans other than riding :-)