PDA

View Full Version : Speccing my first Serotta and wanting lots of advice

DavidK
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
So I'm pretty much set on owning a Serotta Legend.

For the fit I'm relying on Cycle Fit in London ( http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/ ) to match the frame to me and me alone. What I'm lacking though is breadth and depth of knowledge on components to kit out the bike as sweetly as possible.

I currently own a Cannondale R900 stock Alu frame. And this has taken a few knocks, and the last knock saw me upgrade the groupset from a Campy Veloce to a full Campy Record CT, and to discard the stock wheels (Gipiemme Parade) and get a pair of Fulcrum Racing 1's.

I'm a slip of a man (6ft 2inches and 11st), who really enjoys long, long days out on a bike over beautiful rolling country... and a few good and long climbs, and some very rapid descents. I also frequently sprint through London, reaching 35mph and weaving through traffic isn't too unusual (hence the knocks to the bikes in the past).

So I want a really nice all-round package that is comfortable for the long rides, and can still sprint, climb and descend with the best of them.

The Legend is really pushing the price already, so you can't say Ottrot.

Anyhow... this is a complete build and I've only got a few things set so far...

Frame: Serotta Legend
Forks: Whatever Cycle Fit convince me of, probably Serotta F3's
Groupset: Campagnolo Record CT, 39-53, 12-25
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Pedals: Time RXS

And that is where my certainties end.

So... question time :)

Legend Ti or Legend ST?

The biggest immediate question to have answered :)

What difference in feel is there between Titanium stays and the Carbon stays?

Wheels?

My biggest dilemma!

I'm currently looking at:
Fulcrum Racing 1's
Mavic Ksyrium ES's
Zipp 303's

I've heard of many quality issues with the Zipp's, have never ridden Mavic's, and adore my existing Fulcrum's. What I need to understand is what the Mavic's feel like, and whether Zipp still have quality issues considering that they are the most expensive of the bunch.

There's also a mix of materials, the Fulcrum's and Mavic's are Alu, whereas the Zipp's are carbon. What is the main difference in feel between the materials?

Headset

Everyone says Chris King Ti... but why? And what are the choices?

Bottom bracket

I use a Campy Record BB at the moment, and no complaints. Yet I've had the words "Phil Wood" mentioned to me a few times, and whilst I was able to find his website and see that yup, he makes BB's... what I don't know is how a Phil Wood BB would differ from a Campy Record one.

Stem

No thoughts here... are the differences between them so great?

Bars

I've been mostly stuck on getting a Deda Newton, but then I've just seen that the Deda Electa has been announced, which is a carbon bar with nice little tubes to hide Campy cables... so I'm leaning that way, but again, lack of knowledge on what difference these things make is more a deciding factor than any calculated decision making on my part.

Seat post

Nope, no idea here either... which probably means Campy Record Carbon.

Any help, thoughts or opinions you guys could give would be very much appreciated (providing they're on topic ;)).

Thanks in advance,

DavidK

Ozz
04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Ti or ST - get the one you like the look of better...I like Ti

Headset - get the Chris King alloy...Ti is just heavier and more expensive

Wheels - don't discount handbuilts...if you like pre-built - Campy Eurus are pretty nice

Bottom Bracket - Campy is nice (I have on in my CSI), but I went with Phil Woods Alloy/Ti model in my Legend. Like Chris King headsets, their reputation is that you install them, and forget them.

Stem - something forged...our resident e-richie seems to like the Oval Concepts stems. He knows a thing or two about bikes.

Bars - whatever you like....and feels good on your hands. For me, I've come to dislike anatomic bars. Putting an Easton Equipe Pro on my Legend.

Seatpost - something with set-back and a clamp that you like. If you like to fiddle with your seat height, something metal might be better than carbon. Check out Bold Precision Ti posts...very cool looking.

Have fun with your new bike.

imho....

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
As a fellow "DavidK" I admire your choice of bike, since I also have a Legend!

As far as the suggestions, though, I'm afraid I can only offer comment on wht I have, since it's my only high-end bike. My bike also has the regular rear stays, but I have not ridden ST, so I can't offer a comparison.

Chris King has a reputation as being THE best headsets in terms of quality and longevity, so that's what I've got. If the definition of a good heaqdset is "install and forget" then CK has done the job for me.

As far as the wheels, I have 2001 model Ksyriums and they have been bulletproof. I have over 10k miles on mine, had the front bearing replaced, and got the back one trued after someone ran into me, but other than that, no problems at all. I really like them, but you can do a search on this forum and see some of the, er, strong opinions pro and con on these wheels. some people really, REALLY hate them, but I still don't quite understand why.

And while I have not ridden carbon wheels, just taking into account my impressions from forum talk about durability, I'm not thinking they might be the best thing for you if you want something that will take a lot of use in country and city riding. But that's a VERY unqualified opinion!

BBD

davids
04-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Ti or ST?: Based on my back-to-back rides on a 100% Ti Fierte and a Fierte with carbon stays, I'd say get the Ti. I really loved the 'tuning fork buzz' of the Serotta Ti bike. However, the Legend's ST stays offer a little rear suspension, and some folks here think that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Wheels: I'm a big fan of lightweight handbuilts. Odds & Endos made me a set - DT Swiss rims and rear hub, Speedcific front hub, DT and Wheelsmith spokes - that weighs less than 1500 grams, and was made to my requirements. For less than half the price of the factory wheelsets you mentioned. You're getting a custom frame - You deserve custom wheels, too!

Headset: Chris King definitely, but not Ti. Alloy is the way to go. Someone here recently referred to the CK headset as a cyclist's little black dress. I like that.

Bottom Bracket: If you've got no complaints with the Campy, stick with it.

Stem: You want cold forged aluminum. Get an Oval Concepts or a Ritchey WCS.

Handlebars: If you like what you've got, stick with them! I never gave the handlebars on my old bike a second thought. I tried a different set when I built my Nove, and instantly noticed the difference. Even though the change in the shape was small, it made a big difference! I'm back with my 'old' set, and very happy.

Seatpost: It should match your stem, of course. So, Oval Concepts or Ritchey WCS.

atmo, of course.

Have fun!

yeehawfactor
04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
i like the term slip of a man! i've never heard that before.. :cool:

djg
04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Let me be the third person to say: yes, CK makes an excellent headset and no, you should not spring for the ti model--the alloy one is lighter, less expensive (by a bunch), and should outlive you.

Wheels: dunno what I can tell you about wheels, having none of your contenders (although an older version of the Mavic Ks, which I've liked, although probably not at the full asking price of the new ones). If you like the fulcrum wheels, why not just keep them? You can toss some budget wheels on the canny, whether you're keeping it as a backup or selling it, and you've got a nice wheelset ready to roll. If you want something different, and you're riding clinchers, I'd try some tubbies. I'd be disinclined to buy the Zipps for everyday wheels, although I know that folks have done it (and, as I said, have no particular experience to report on).

Seatpost: it's a stick with a clamp. Get something with suitable setback, and then select according to appearance and budget.

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
<<Seatpost: it's a stick with a clamp.>>

Never thought about it that way, but yeah, I guess you're right. Kinda puts a different spin on spending $200 for a carbon "stick with a clamp!" :rolleyes:

BBD

DavidK
04-04-2006, 12:00 PM
If you like the fulcrum wheels, why not just keep them? You can toss some budget wheels on the canny, whether you're keeping it as a backup or selling it, and you've got a nice wheelset ready to roll. If you want something different, and you're riding clinchers, I'd try some tubbies.

That's actually the most likely outcome :)

I credit the Fulcrums with having saved my life once already, just by being stiff enough and responsive enough to allow a rather ridiculous evasive maneouvre on a downhill in thick traffic. So on top of the usual "yeah they race ok" or how they feel on climbs (not bad thanks), I have an additional emotional link to them that other wheels in the running will have to nullify.

Point taken on the headset... Chris King Alloy it is :)

The bottom bracket... I think I'll stick with the Campy Record one. I've had no problems with mine, and feel more comfortable with the Campy one because being in the UK and Sweden, it's a familiar component to shops and service centres around here.

Still the stem though... I didn't really like the look of the Ritcheys at all. The Oval Concepts ones look ok (the 700). I've looked at the Deda's before, and didn't like the blockiness of them. I notice that Zipp are doing stems now too, and this one is pretty sexy: http://www.zipp.com/products/stems/31.8.shtml So I might pair that with the Deda Electa bars.

The "slip of a man" thing... I think it's a British term. Particularly for skinny guys. 150lbs at 188cm... there's not much to me, and most of it is calf and thigh muscle :D

The ST stays don't sound like my bag of tea. I want comfort and feedback, but I don't want the ride smoothed out in any way. One person emailed me privately and told me to make sure I got the fit right, because Serotta have a tendency to produce an "old man's bike"... I certainly don't want that. I'm 32 and want a bike that is a Ferrari... on rails, stable, comfortable at the speed, stuck to the road, but incredibly responsive when you need it to be (see above for evasive action in traffic). If the Ti stays are closer to that... then that is what I want.

Thanks for all the advice so far, more please!

MallyG
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Why not let cyclefit guide you a bit as well. I bought a Legend ST from them a while back and I have to say that the stuff where I took their lead and advice works great, the bits where I questioned them (mainly through aesthetics) was probably not right and I should have 'gone with the flow' and let them do their job in total.

I understand what your other correspondent means by 'an old man's bike'. I take it they are referring to both Cyclefit and (I guess) Serotta to believe in a more upright bike than many on the market. This often results in a longer head-tube.

Does my Legend look quite as 'flash' or aggressive as my other bikes?

Probably not.

Did I do l'Etape or Nove Colli on my other bikes?

No, I did them on the Legend. I'm not 18 anymore and whilst still on the slim side, I am probably not as lithe or as supple as I once was. Even if I don't admit or recognise that, there's no escaping it when riding hard for a day. And that, I suppose, is what Phil and Julian at Cyclefit realised and fit accordingly.

I'm sure they will make sure that your bike fits you like a glove. Which means that, if you are not an old man (like me!!!) they won't make you an old man's bike.

jpw
04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Search this forum under 'cyclefit' and read the threads carefully.

catulle
04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
The more I know my Fulcrum wheels, the more I like my dog. Yesterday, I took apart the rear hub of my F1 and I didnīt like all the plastic and the tiny bearings I found inside. Granted, the wheels seem to ride fine, I just donīt like the way they are built. It is like I can see the Fulcrum accountants looking over the shoulders of the production people, who in turn are wired to an electric shock treatment machine. imho, atmo, et al...

If I were you, Iīd get a nice set of custom wheels. But then, I donīt even own a Serotta, so what do I know. Congratulations on your new bike, though. It must be extra cool to ride around London on a Serotta. :beer:

mdeeds71
04-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I actually flew over to London to get fitted by them! The shop and personel are great and the experience is awesome.

I am toying with some Reynolds stem/bars/seatpost now and so far am very impressed.

Ken Robb
04-04-2006, 01:43 PM
does one stone=14 pounds?

DavidK
04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
does one stone=14 pounds?

According to Google, yup:
http://www.google.com/search?q=1+stone+in+lbs

yeehawfactor
04-04-2006, 03:21 PM
chris king wheels?

dirtdigger88
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
chris king wheels?

they are too loud- they make for a funky dish- you cant use them with campy yada yada yada- well the campy part is true I think

by the way- I love my CK wheels-

Im just beating someone else to the punch

Jason

yeehawfactor
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
they are too loud- they make for a funky dish- you cant use them with campy yada yada yada- well the campy part is true I think

by the way- I love my CK wheels-

Im just beating someone else to the punch

Jason
they do roll with the sound of the angry bees. cannot vouch for dish, buth they are campy ok.