PDA

View Full Version : OT- Shipping methods/charges

marciero
01-28-2015, 06:28 PM
When printing a label for shipping from paypal, the USPS and UPS rates seem significantly higher than if I for example, create an account with USPS and do it from there. I have typically used my local UPS store for shipping. What do people use for cheap shipping? A set of wheels should not be more than $50 I would think.

carpediemracing
01-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Online USPS seems to be really good. Costs seem consistent without massive size related charges (like if I used a slightly bigger box for the same item).

I've done all sorts of stuff and I do USPS now. Go to the post office and hand it to the clerk.

I have access to a FedEx account (former employer lets me ship from there) but it's more of a pain than the USPS thing.

Counter/retail USPS is significantly more expensive. Retail UPS is ridiculously so.

weisan
01-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Marciero pal, check out this thread
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161069

rwsaunders
01-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Wheels should be appx $25-35 in a double box. Try REI or similar and ask for single wheel boxes. $10-12 each to ship.

marciero
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. Re retail UPS- I did not realize how outrageous until I tried to ship a larger package.

Will check out the thread- Did not think to search the forum-In fact I probably saw that thread...

tumbler
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
USPS online is almost always the best for me. I don't notice much, if any, difference between the rate thru PayPal and the USPS.com rate. Definitely cheaper than UPS/FedEx online and retail.

zmudshark
01-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Wheels should be appx $25-35 in a double box. Try REI or similar and ask for single wheel boxes. $10-12 each to ship.

Only if you are shipping across state, not across country.

Wheels are expensive to ship.

bcroslin
01-28-2015, 08:27 PM
I've always had good luck with Fedex. Just shipped a set of wheels for $30 and a frame set for $35. USPS was at least $10 more for each. USPS is good for small boxes. UPS is always exorbitantly more expensive for some reason. I stopped using UPS years ago after they lost 3 separate shipments including a Tiffany bracelet purchased as a present for my daughter by her grandparents. I'm still convinced the driver swiped it.

marciero
01-28-2015, 08:36 PM
I tried bikeflights, which uses fedex. It was $32 for a double wheel box Maine to Missouri, extra $5 for picking up at my house. So I went with that. USPS online was $65, using USPS through my paypal account was $95.

I actually purchased some fancy cardboard bike boxes from shipbikes.com last spring for a trip but did not use their shipping services, which seem similar to bikeflights in that they also use Fedex.

makoti
01-28-2015, 08:41 PM
By printing the label at home & paying online, I shipped a frame from Va to Ny for about $12 with the USPS. Wheels should be no more than that.

carpediemracing
01-28-2015, 10:57 PM
By printing the label at home & paying online, I shipped a frame from Va to Ny for about $12 with the USPS. Wheels should be no more than that.

When I pay USPS online I can use Paypal or a credit card. I think a checking account option showed up also but I don't remember. It's all the same price - I don't know how you'd pay a different amount if you use Paypal.

I accidentally clicked something once and paid for a shipping order that had a mistake. I requested a refund and got it maybe a week later. I figured that wasn't bad. I redid the label/etc and shipped it immediately after so that probably helped. I think that one was a Paypal payment.

Coluber42
01-28-2015, 11:46 PM
UPS retail stores are a rip off, especially if you go there and have them pack up the item for you (which they charge you for, plus the box, and the packaging...).
For most packages, it's pretty hard to beat Priority Mail. The price is good, plus it's 3 days to anywhere in the CONUS (and Saturdays count), unlike with UPS Ground where it can be a week or more (five or six business days, plus weekends).
Not only can you get a bit of a discount by doing it online, but you can also schedule a pickup and they will pick it up from your house for free. You don't even have to bring it anywhere.
And they have free boxes. (not wheel sized, though)

LouDeeter
01-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Pay attention to the size thresholds. If you can keep your frames and wheels in a box that is 108" length plus girth, it should be less than $35 shipped coast to coast, less for shorter distances. I use on-line FedEx for larger, heavier packages. Then, print the label and drop at any of the FedEx stores or shipping places that represent FedEx. The shipper doesn't get hit with additional charges to drop. FedEx compensates the private stores. If over 108", less than 130" (like a complete bike), FedEx is my preferred shipper.

kramnnim
01-29-2015, 09:23 AM
The one nice thing with Paypal shipping...you can use First Class (for packages under 13 ounces) and pay/print online. I think USPS only lets you pay/print Priority. (?)

brockd15
01-29-2015, 09:39 AM
I pretty much always use Bikeflights for bikes and frames but USPS for everything else. Bikeflights is nice because after printing the postage the lines at Fedex are generally short so it's fairly painless to drop it off. The downside is that you'll always get hit with an additional $5 fee for delivering to a residence.

With USPS, printing your own postage can save a few bucks so it's nice if you're shipping a lot of stuff, but you still have to take the scan form to the office and wait in line to get a clerk to scan it and take the boxes.

For me that's a huge downside. Not sure how the USPS offices are in other locations, but I'd generally prefer a cain beating to dealing with the one here. So if I can use the self service machine and not deal with it, that's what I prefer.

Of course, half the time the self service machine is out of order or the friggin' bin is jammed and won't open. Don't get me started, it makes me crazy.

jmoore
01-29-2015, 01:53 PM
I can vouch for shipbikes. They were very helpful with my claim against FedEx last year. And they easily beat any other price I found

SpeedyChix
01-29-2015, 02:28 PM
The one nice thing with Paypal shipping...you can use First Class (for packages under 13 ounces) and pay/print online. I think USPS only lets you pay/print Priority. (?)

That's correct. It's the only way to access non-priority USPS mailing (and lower rates) online. Seems a bit odd but that's how they do it. Beats hanging out in line at the PO

oliver1850
01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
As Lou said, paying attention to box size for wheels or frames is very important. Going over the limit by even an inch can more than triple the USPS price.

I can ship a 36"x28"x8" box weighing 14 lbs. to Los Angeles for $35.50

For a box 1" longer, wider, or taller the price goes to $114.

Frankwurst
01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Pay attention to the size thresholds. If you can keep your frames and wheels in a box that is 108" length plus girth, it should be less than $35 shipped coast to coast, less for shorter distances. I use on-line FedEx for larger, heavier packages. Then, print the label and drop at any of the FedEx stores or shipping places that represent FedEx. The shipper doesn't get hit with additional charges to drop. FedEx compensates the private stores. If over 108", less than 130" (like a complete bike), FedEx is my preferred shipper.

^This works for me and I've shipped wheels, Frames, Whole bikes, and various other items. :beer:

rwsaunders
01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Only if you are shipping across state, not across country.

Wheels are expensive to ship.

Z...I recently shipped a pair of wheels, tires and skewers in this box from the Steel City to the Twin Cities for around $30. USPS if I recall.

linger
01-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Went to a ups store to ship a broken chain tool back for warranty. Best part was I made a tiny box out of a piece of cardboard and sealed it up. Looked great imo. Clerk at ups measures it and says $9 and change. I picked it up and said I would go somewhere else. Went down the street to the USPS and paid less than half that. And the company got it in 2 days.