PDA

View Full Version : recommend pressure washer

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Can anyone recommend a good pressure washer that they primarily use on their bikes?

thank you

Cat3roadracer
01-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Never used a pressure washer on bikes, not sure it's necessary. Regular garden hose, soak throughly, soap throughly, light rinse, through dry.

bcroslin
01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
http://svennesen.com/muldvarp/foto/vandslange.jpg

Cicli
01-28-2015, 06:59 PM
I have a Genarac 3600psi gas job. It kicks ass. Not needed for a bike. Just car wash soap and water. Maybe. Usually I just hose it with WD40 and wipe it down. Unpainted Ti is awesome.

shovelhd
01-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Pressure washers are bad for bearings. I never wash my bike with one, although they are popular for cross.

I have a 4200psi 4GPM Generac to wash the house with.

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Pressure washers are bad for bearings. I never wash my bike with one, although they are popular for cross.

I have a 4200psi 4GPM Generac to wash the house with.

Agreed. But I have a large compressor and can quickly blast the water out of the BB and wheel bearings.

It is to use in an area where I don't have access to a hose.

malcolm
01-28-2015, 07:11 PM
I have a homelite with honda engine. I don't use it a lot, maybe 3-4 times a year, it's over 3000psi and has been great.

I wouldn't pressure wash bikes unless you tear them down fairly regularly and service the hubs and bb regularly.

Bruce K
01-28-2015, 07:20 PM
I found a Nomad that runs off a 12v connection from the car

Just enough pressure for washing the mud off cx bikes

To put it in perspective - it's better than those garden sprayers but not strong enough to use on my back deck, etc

BK

Cicli
01-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Agreed. But I have a large compressor and can quickly blast the water out of the BB and wheel bearings.

It is to use in an area where I don't have access to a hose.

How do you use a pressure washer without a hose?

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2015, 07:42 PM
How do you use a pressure washer without a hose?

I thought they had a tank that you can fill from a sink. Do they all run off garden hose hookups? Don't pro mechanics use them? Or, do they hook it up to the RV water tanks with a garden hose?

Bruce K
01-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Yes to all of the above.

My home one runs off the garden spigot. The Nomad has it's own tank.

I have seen pro teams at cross races using large drums of water they fill at the nearest hose.

You just need to be sure of the water requirements when you buy your chosen piece of equipment.

BK

Rob1519
01-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Chemical sprayer from Home Depot. Cheap, portable, enough pressure to remove debris w/o blasting seals, focused spray head for all the tight places.

01-28-2015, 08:35 PM
He said a compressor, not a power washer. That means he's blowing air, not water. Still a good way to drive water into places where you don't want it, but not as bad. The point about simply washing the bike still holds.

If the OP is asking about a power washer he has water available. If he's determined to power wash, I'd suggest the Euro pro mechanic method and just have a small electric power washer. They sometimes come with some very low pressure tips for washing windows and such (something that doesn't create enough pressure to blow in a house window, that is), or you can get the tips. They direct and blow some water, but not at much more pressure than what you get when riding. And they are cheap because they are so weak.

I'm still in the pail and sponge mode, but if the bike is really really filthy with mud or sand, at least use a hose. It doesn't need much pressure, even if everything has had a chance to dry. If you want to rush it, use the low pressure electric one.

Peter P.
01-28-2015, 08:46 PM
A typical garden hose should suffice. Just buy a nozzle with a wide assortment of spray patterns and you will be all set, with no worries about blowing the grease out of the bearings when you use some of the spray patterns.

I live in an apartment and have no hose access, so I use a plant sprayer by RL- Flowmaster (http://www.rlflomaster.com/default.htm).

A 2 gallon model is easy enough to carry with plenty of capacity for cleaning one bike. My 3 gallon model is overkill and less convenient to carry. Get one with a relief valve so you can release the pressure when you're done.

Plant sprayers don't offer the pressure or volume of water like you see the pro mechanics use at road or 'cross races, but they're fine for home mechanic stuff.

Rebel_Biker
01-28-2015, 10:51 PM
thank you all for the suggestions.

I had a plant sprayer when I lived in NYC. I really wanted a bit more pressure. I definitely prefer a garden hose, but we still live in an apartment here in Santa Fe, and we don't have great drainage in out small brick patio back yard where the hose is. I don't see anyone in our complex cleaning cars so I think it might be looked down upon here as the suds would drain down our little hill.

But I do have a place at work that has a drain in the back of our building, but no hose. I think the low pressure euro suggestion with maybe a 10 gallon tank could work.

I would still clean with soapy water and sponge, but it would be nice to quickly hose off the bike and then dry.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2015, 06:06 AM
Can anyone recommend a good pressure washer that they primarily use on their bikes?

thank you

When in the shop, we made good money fixing/replacing BBs, HS and hub bearings after a local place powerwashed the grease outta same. I'd say a hose w/o a nozzle, a sponge and a bucket is a better idea, IMHO.

If you have a 'large compressor' to blast the water out of BB/Hubs/HS, then you blasted the grease outta there as well. Again, IMHO..

chiasticon
01-29-2015, 07:20 AM
it's winter. so my outside hose spigot is shut off. to clean the crud off my bike I use a bucket of hot soapy water and a couple brushes. then refill same bucket with just water and dip the water bottle i just used on the ride into the bucket over and over. spray your bike down with that. not enough pressure to ruin any bearings, you can direct it where you need to and you don't have to pump it like you do a garden sprayer (though of course you have to refill the bottle a handful of times).

Rebel_Biker
01-29-2015, 09:45 AM
it's winter. so my outside hose spigot is shut off. to clean the crud off my bike I use a bucket of hot soapy water and a couple brushes. then refill same bucket with just water and dip the water bottle i just used on the ride into the bucket over and over. spray your bike down with that. not enough pressure to ruin any bearings, you can direct it where you need to and you don't have to pump it like you do a garden sprayer (though of course you have to refill the bottle a handful of times).

Thanks. I used to do the same thing on the side walk in NYC. But I lived on the 32nd floor so I had to bring down two buckets.

LouDeeter
01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
I rarely clean my bike with water. I usually spray liquid car wash onto a rag and clean the grime off the tubes with one swipe, then use a clean rag to finish. If you do a two swipe, you may cause grit to scratch the paint. Can do that with one swipe too, but I'm willing to do that rather than use water. I usually wipe down the chain after each ride also. Most of my bikes are steel.