PDA

View Full Version : The answer to the Flanders strategy question

Len J
04-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Folks, here is what Disco DS Dirk Demol had to say on the Hoste vs. Hincapie episode:

"George was clearly frustrated at the end of the race, it's true," Demol said. "He had the best legs he's ever had here, and then two riders escape and one is his teammate. Many people have asked, why Leif? He couldn’t win a sprint against Boonen. Well, I can tell you."

"When Leif attacked with 32 km left it was not supposed to have been a race-deciding effort. We were trying to break up the Quick Step grip on the front of the race. We figured a big effort could get the numbers down to maybe two of them and two of us and then we'd see how it went. Leif was surprised to see that he had only Boonen with him, and radioed back to me to see what he should do."

"I told Leif that he could cooperate but that Boonen had to take the longest pulls. I also told him that if George could bridge up, then Leif could not pull any more and he'd have to wait for George. Leif was completely happy with this plan, as was Johan (Bruyneel) when I spoke with him later. I radioed George and told him to try and drop the riders he was with and then Leif will be waiting for you. George agreed and put in a big effort on the Muur, but couldn’t shake the guys he was with, and that's why Leif and Boonen went to the line 1-2."

George knew Hoste was going and couldn't go.

Len

Kevan
04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
seasoned with some damage control.

victoryfactory
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks, LenJ
That's very interesting

VF

victoryfactory
04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
If They told Leif to go and try to break up the front of the race,
How is it that GH didn't know about the "plan"
And when Leif noticed that it was only he and TB away,
Why didn't the DS tell Leif to sit on TB and wait for another chance.

It really looked to me like Leif went into business for himself there,
not that there's anythin wrong with that.....
He probably figure that TB was so strong that he might just stay away.

Dirk Demol damage control disco spin central (if you ask me)

VF

e-RICHIE
04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
If They told Leif to go and try to break up the front of the race,
How is it that GH didn't know about the "plan"
And when Leif noticed that it was only he and TB away,
Why didn't the DS tell Leif to sit on TB and wait for another chance.

It really looked to me like Leif went into business for himself there,
not that there's anythin wrong with that.....
He probably figure that TB was so strong that he might just stay away.

Dirk Demol damage control disco spin central (if you ask me)

VF

when lief went, george was the 7th guy in the line.
not the place to be.

Argos
04-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, GH did at least put a good effort in in the last 150 meters of the Muur. :D

I guess this is why we have these comfy chairs.... To make the Monday (or in this case Tuesday) morning DS'ing all the more enjoyable! :D

Kevan
04-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, GH did at least put a good effort in in the last 150 meters of the Muur. :D

I guess this is why we have these comfy chairs.... To make the Monday (or in this case Tuesday) morning DS'ing all the more enjoyable! :D

don't forget that!