PDA

View Full Version : OT Anybody have a 2015 Toyota Highlander

Mikej
01-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Thinking of getting one, I was wondering if anybody here has one, and if a hitch mounted Platform rack works for you.

djg21
01-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Thinking of getting one, I was wondering if anybody here has one, and if a hitch mounted Platform rack works for you.

I have a 2014 Tacoma with the same power plant. Only have 7,500 miles, and it's been solid so far.

Mikej
01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
I have a 2014 Tacoma with the same power plant. Only have 7,500 miles, and it's been solid so far.

Different power plant - you're thinking 4runner. 4.0 Right? Highlander is a 3.5 or something

djg21
01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Different power plant - you're thinking 4runner. 4.0 Right? Highlander is a 3.5 or something

Absolutely right. My bad.

AngryScientist
01-28-2015, 02:41 PM
i didnt look, but i'm guessing the tacoma is a full framed truck with an engine mounted the right way and RWD as the primary drivetrain, where as the highlander is a FWD based vehicke with the engine mounted the transversely. the two will have completely different suspension and on/offroad handling characteristics. even if they share the same engine block, the two are pretty different.

veloduffer
01-28-2015, 03:19 PM

You mean a hitch mounted rack like the Thule T2?
It shouldn't be a problem, as I use one on my old Highlander and the new ones can be ordered with an OEM hitch, which is the heavier duty Class 3. And there is plenty of clearance from the ground.

You can get an aftermarket hitch cheaper than OEM, but sometimes the install can be tricky depending on the mounting around the exhaust system. This could cause a void on parts of your warranty, unless done by a Toyota dealer.

Satellite
01-29-2015, 01:01 AM
i didnt look, but i'm guessing the tacoma is a full framed truck with an engine mounted the right way and RWD as the primary drivetrain, where as the highlander is a FWD based vehicke with the engine mounted the transversely. the two will have completely different suspension and on/offroad handling characteristics. even if they share the same engine block, the two are pretty different.

Yep, Highlander is a Camry chassis, the Tacoma and 4Runner are truck frames. My Highlander is the Hybrid 4wd. It has a 3.5l front wheel drive it uses electric motors to drive the back wheels if needed. It is pretty cool no drive train or drive shaft to the rear tires. They are just there when you need them or the car thinks you need them.

Highlander Hybrid is by far the best vehicle I ever owned including our Prius. I am pretty sure this is the last vehicle I will ever buy, Highlander Hybrids for now on. It would be really swell if I could keep the current Highlander Hybrid forever. Like a Moots get one you won't regret it, I bought it to haul my dirt bikes on a three rail trailer. I have been all over the US, from Branson, MO to Moab Utah. Plenty of pulling power and great gas mileage, although it drops significantly pulling the dirt bikes.

Satellite

douglas
01-29-2015, 08:04 AM
I had a 2001 Highlander that I sold with 170,000 trouble free miles (just routine maintenance). I now drive a 2012 Highlander and have 40,000 problem free miles on it. Neither vehicle came with a hitch. I bought and installed aftermarket hitches for both vehicles. The hitches were purchased from Etrailer. Etrailer has videos on how to install your hitch on their site. Both installations were straight forward and the vehicle is tall enough to work on without being jacked up. I use a hitch rack to carry 2 bikes with no problem.

Mikej
01-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the input. I was going to go with the OEM hitch because it is a bit higher up into the rear bumper, and "hidden"

soulspinner
01-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I was going to go with the OEM hitch because it is a bit higher up into the rear bumper, and "hidden"

I would too, warranty by Toyota on the whole thing, we use to have problems with hitch wiring with some aftermarket companies..........