PDA

View Full Version : Just repainted or replaced under warranty, now ready to sell

weisan
01-26-2015, 06:56 AM
"I just got it back from the painter after a refinish, it looks incredible, like new!"....

"It broke, my LBS sent it back under warranty, they replaced it with a new frame..."

In both cases...
"and now, I want to sell it..."

Why do we hear this more often than not?

Comments?: D

bward1028
01-26-2015, 06:58 AM
paint and warranty take a long time. lots of people end up finding a different bike in the meantime.

El Chaba
01-26-2015, 07:02 AM
One piece of crap was replaced under warranty with another similar piece of crap....

93legendti
01-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Resale value may be highest at that point...

fuzzalow
01-26-2015, 07:45 AM
If the bikes were/are high-end bikes AND they are from the original owner it usually means to me that the seller has a shorter attention span for bikes and likes to experience variety.

If the bikes are pre-owned bikes AND that bike has been passed around in the secondary market it usually means to me the seller is looking for bargains or was looking to try something new with the intention to flip. Nuthin' wrong with doin' that.

Nobody takes a junk frame and pays for expensive paint. A cheap paint covers up a cheap or damaged/repaired frame. Garbage, stay away.

Warranty replacement? Garbage, stay way. Even if a "new" replacement.

Know who you are dealing with in the used bike market. Lotsa guys that just shuffle along garbage or are keeping up the churn; keeping their nose in the scene. I have never bought a used bike, only new only. But I often sell my frames off here very inexpensively - 'cos I like you guys ;).

Sure, bikes are different but not by that much between the good ones. Easy to take a good bike and screw it up with a bad fit. And then again, some bikes get resold repeatedly and just never seem to find a home. Dunno why.

tumbler
01-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Resale value may be highest at that point...

This seems to be the most likely scenario. Sure, there may be the occasional scam artist covering a botched repair with fancy paint, or claiming a second-rate repair was a factory repair/replacement... but when I see it here from a respected member, I wouldn't think twice about buying if it was something I was in the market for.

PL'ers get bored and like to swap bikes. Nothing wrong with doing that following a refinish/repair/replacement when resale is highest. The key is obviously who you are purchasing from.

josephr
01-26-2015, 08:28 AM
paint and warranty take a long time. lots of people end up finding a different bike in the meantime.

this is most likely...6-8 weeks maybe? Add in a week for disassembly/reassembly. The rear shock on my mtb took about that long to be rebuilt. My LBS gave me a loaner for a couple of weekend. But, if my primary mode of cycling was mountain biking --- I would've just replaced the shock and then sold the rebuilt one.
Joe