PDA

View Full Version : DT Swiss hubs - radial lacing?

AngryScientist
01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
i know some hub manufacturers recommend against radial lacing, but i'm struggling to find info on DT swiss hubs.

due to a total screw-up from a UK vendor, i'm just going to build a set of wheels for an intended purpose.

So, DT Swiss 350 hubs:

i intend to radial lace the front, 3x rear drive side, radial non-drive side.

28 hole front and rear.

any issues with that plan?

http://www.justridingalong.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/t/dtswiss_350_road_pair_2.jpg

thwart
01-25-2015, 08:35 PM
You'll probably get a more definitive reply from someone like the old spud.

But... I've heard that 28 hole hubs tend to have enough metal around the spoke holes to tolerate radial lacing, generally speaking.

32 hole and above, probably not a good idea.

ergott
01-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Don't do radial rear. Stick with cross on both sides. You gain nothing with radial.

As for the front you aren't building an aero set of wheels with 28 spokes, stick with cross.

Don't reinvent the wheel (yes, I know). Stick with crossed spokes all around and have a set of good wheels that will last.

zzy
01-25-2015, 09:05 PM
When I built my all DT Swiss wheels, I did 2x for both 28h hubs. The front CAN do radial but I think the extra strength and lateral stiffness is worth it.

cmbicycles
01-25-2015, 10:17 PM
I previously had a set of DT 1450 wheels. Front was 28h radial from the factory, rear was 2x both sides I think. Radial lacing shouldn't be an issue for the hub strengthwise, though applicationwise... see posts above.

Since you didn't mention your application seems we've all just assumed you want em to last a while and be as stiff/strong as possible. :)

oldpotatoe
01-26-2015, 06:25 AM
i know some hub manufacturers recommend against radial lacing, but i'm struggling to find info on DT swiss hubs.

due to a total screw-up from a UK vendor, i'm just going to build a set of wheels for an intended purpose.

So, DT Swiss 350 hubs:

i intend to radial lace the front, 3x rear drive side, radial non-drive side.

28 hole front and rear.

any issues with that plan?

http://www.justridingalong.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/t/dtswiss_350_road_pair_2.jpg

DT hubs are OK with radial lacing. Front and left side rear(altho I always question why do that). I get the rear radial left side, no 'slack' spokes, and loosening gig. BUT it does not 'equalize tension'.

If this were my build, I'd do 2 cross front and 3 cross rear, inside pulling.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2015, 06:26 AM
You'll probably get a more definitive reply from someone like the old spud.

But... I've heard that 28 hole hubs tend to have enough metal around the spoke holes to tolerate radial lacing, generally speaking.

32 hole and above, probably not a good idea.

For most hubs, the hub shell is the same, whether it be 24/28/32/36 hole.

DT from about 6 years ago, all radial OK.

coreywood
01-26-2015, 08:41 AM
DT hubs are OK with radial lacing. Front and left side rear(altho I always question why do that). I get the rear radial left side, no 'slack' spokes, and loosening gig. BUT it does not 'equalize tension'.

If this were my build, I'd do 2 cross front and 3 cross rear, inside pulling.
oldpotatoe, is "inside-pulling" spoke heads-in, or elbows-in? Not to flood this thread with too much wheel-building chat but am curious about the choice.

Cheers to no radial on the rear wheel.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2015, 09:28 AM
oldpotatoe, is "inside-pulling" spoke heads-in, or elbows-in? Not to flood this thread with too much wheel-building chat but am curious about the choice.

Cheers to no radial on the rear wheel.

Inside pulling=heads out. So pulling spoke, which has a fair amount of flange overlap on 28 3 cross, has a more direct line to the rim.

kramnnim
01-26-2015, 10:08 AM
"Radial lacing on DT Swiss hubs is not recommended as it may lead to impermissible deformations on the hub flange. Flange breakage
is not covered under the warranty in this case. "

http://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Support/HUBS/DT-Swiss-Hubs-350-Technical-Manual

:banana:

But...it appears that flange breakage of any kind of not covered, regardless of crossing pattern, so...

Mark McM
01-26-2015, 10:58 AM
DT Swiss makes a special version of their 240s front hubs with a slightly different flange configuration, designed for radial lacing. However, there is no special radial version of the 350 hub.

As has been mentioned, radial lacing does increase the chances of front hub breakage - but as with anything else, an increase in probability is far from the same as a certainty. Many people have radially laced a variety of front hubs radially, with no flange breakage. But by the same token, a smaller group of people have experienced flange breakage with radial lacing.

Your decision will depend on the actual hub, number of spokes, rim stiffness, intended wheel usage, and wheel longevity expectations.

Bob Ross
01-26-2015, 11:07 AM
I previously had a set of DT 1450 wheels. Front was 28h radial from the factory, rear was 2x both sides I think.

^^^Same here: I still have a set of those DT "Mon Chasseral" RR1450s that came radially-laced from the factory. Actually, those front hubs have been re-laced to new DT RR465 rims at least twice now, so it seems disingenuous to say they're still "Mon Chasseral" RR1450s, but they're still 28H radial.

If those hubs ever ···· the bed for good I'll probably buy something that I can lace 2X though.