PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta 1997 Fork Steel VS .Carbon

bikemo15
04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Just bought a 1997 Serotta Atlanta for our daughter to ride weeklong bike adventures. Would a carbon fork greatly improve her ride over the stock lugged steel fork?
Anybody know the stock fork rake of this model? Any other questions I should be asking before replacing this fork? Thanks

dirtdigger88
04-03-2006, 03:38 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16219

Jason

OldDog
04-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, what Dirt said!

Lame post good for one more tally toward my 1000th.

dirtdigger88
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Any other questions I should be asking before replacing this fork? Thanks

YES-

why am I thinking about replacing a perfectly good steel fork-

assuming its perfectly good- that is

Jason

christian
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Anybody know the stock fork rake of this model? Any other questions I should be asking before replacing this fork? Thanks

In order to find a suitable replacement, you'll need to know the rake and the length of the fork, which is measured from axle center line to crown race.

- Christian

dave thompson
04-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Just bought a 1997 Serotta Atlanta for our daughter to ride weeklong bike adventures. Would a carbon fork greatly improve her ride over the stock lugged steel fork?
I can reply directly to your question. I purchased a NOS 1997 Atlanta in 2001, rode it for about 3 months then had a Kestrel carbon fork (with correct rake etc.) installed. What I noticed was a degradation in the ride, the carbon fork was too rigid and the bike didn't feel good at all over the chip seal roads we have. More road 'buzz' was transmitted to the bars. I later had the original steel fork re-installed and the bike felt much better. The carbon fork had no effect on the handling, one way or another.

In my opinion, whatever improvements you may get (if any) by installing a carbon fork on this particular bike won't be worth the money spent. A well designed steel fork, like the one on your daughter's Atlanta, is built to compliment the bike.

flydhest
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a CSi with a steel fork and used to have one with a carbon fork. The steel is a great ride. I can't think of a reason to change it.

Serotta PETE
04-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Save you $$s and keep the steel fork it came with. You will not see a "measurable improvement" in ride or handling The ATLANTA with the steel fork is a great ride.

Buy some great red instead of a fork.

PETE

palincss
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM

If you want to greatly improve the ride of this bike for your daughter, adjust the tire pressure so that it is appropriate for her weight. If 120 psi is appropriate for a 190 lb rider, how much would be appropriate for a 100 lb rider? :)

Birddog
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Would a carbon fork greatly improve her ride over the stock lugged steel fork?
Nope!, I have a 97 Atlanta with an Ouzo Pro, it rides very nice. I also have a CSi with a steel fork, it rides equally nice. FWIW, there just isn't a noticeable difference ATMO. Both can be ridden all day, and they have been.

Birddog

PanTerra
04-03-2006, 11:25 PM

PanTerra
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
You are contemplating separating these two? http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10926&stc=1

Why, that would be like separating these two.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1172&stc=1

shinomaster
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
My white painted serotta (kinesis) carbon 1" threaded carbon fork off of my 1999 Atlanta for your steel fork please. What size is your frame?

xxooo

shino

bikemo15
04-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am going to stay with the steel fork. I was feeling guilty riding my Ti Legend with a carbon fork while my 13 yr old daughter will be riding the Atlanta w/steel fork this summer on our weekend rides.

Birddog
04-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Your 13 yr old daughter will be riding a Serotta Atlanta? No reason for any guilt ATMO PROVO GANDINO!

Birddog

dave thompson
04-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am going to stay with the steel fork. I was feeling guilty riding my Ti Legend with a carbon fork while my 13 yr old daughter will be riding the Atlanta w/steel fork this summer on our weekend rides.
Don't feel bad for your daughter, the Atlanta is one of the most respected Serottas. It's an absolute classic!

slowgoing
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM

In my opinion, she will be riding the better bike.

vaxn8r
04-09-2006, 11:25 PM
In my opinion, she will be riding the better bike.
Have you owned both or is that a statement made by somebody who just loves steel bikes?

slowgoing
04-10-2006, 01:07 AM
I have owned both, stock size. Took the parts off the legend and it hangs unused in the garage - should probably sell it. The Atlanta is one of my all time favorites and is a keeper.