PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo bar end housing cracks

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 05:09 PM
It seems that every set of 8-10spd era Campagnolo bar ends I've come across have cracked housings. Does this ever result in a complete failure?

Im thinking about putting a set into action, but I don't want to experance an on road failure.

Black Dog
01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Pics might help on this one.

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Pics might help on this one.

I didn't bother because I've never seen a used set that wasn't cracked. I will grab some here in a bit.

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Here is a picture. This is the second pair to go through my hands. Both had the same cracks. As do other used ones I've seen for sale. They have at least some sort of a metal core, but I'm not sure it is enough to keep them together.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/bike%20parts/DF8F33BC-F314-4BB1-BDE1-E1A945D9A6E4_zpsdfj1bovx.jpg

Black Dog
01-24-2015, 08:10 PM
I have seen this a few times but never heard of one failing as a result. Looks the plastic housing is more cosmetic than structural anyways. Old Spud will likely have some better wisdom to impart on the matter and I will defer to him on this one.

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Here is the deal, I own the 10spd bar ends but need a pair of 8spd bar ends and 10spd downtubes. My plan is to buy 8spd downtubes and do a some swapping. I don't want to invest more money in the project if they will lead to failure.

choke
01-24-2015, 09:43 PM
One option might be to use the Rivendell bar end adapters.

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 10:14 PM
One option might be to use the Rivendell bar end adapters.

Negative. The barrel on the RH Campagnolo shifter is too large.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Here is the deal, I own the 10spd bar ends but need a pair of 8spd bar ends and 10spd downtubes. My plan is to buy 8spd downtubes and do a some swapping. I don't want to invest more money in the project if they will lead to failure.

If ya want a 8s shifter to be 10s, it's gotta be the three spring version. BTW-I have sold a lot of these and have NOT seen those cracks.

thirdgenbird
01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
If ya want a 8s shifter to be 10s, it's gotta be the three spring version. BTW-I have sold a lot of these and have NOT seen those cracks.

Yep, I am aware of the spring differences.

It surprises me you haven't seen a cracked set. I got a set through a trade that were cracked and I ended up selling them on paul thumbie mounts. Like usual, I ended up wanting a pair after I sold them so I went on the hunt for more. I bet 6 of the 7 used sets I found for sale were cracked like the one above. These were dirt cheap so I bought them anyway.

I did a search on here before posting, and it looks like at least one other member here has had them crack.

If you image search them, it's not hard to find cracked ones as well.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img839/4038/zcnd.jpg
http://www.steel-vintage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/C/a/Campagnolo_Barend_Shifters-3.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Yep, I am aware of the spring differences.

It surprises me you haven't seen a cracked set. I got a set through a trade that were cracked and I ended up selling them on paul thumbie mounts. Like usual, I ended up wanting a pair after I sold them so I went on the hunt for more. I bet 6 of the 7 used sets I found for sale were cracked like the one above. These were dirt cheap so I bought them anyway.

I did a search on here before posting, and it looks like at least one other member here has had them crack.

I believe ya, just not IME. Vecchios has a new set, not cracked, FS

thirdgenbird
01-25-2015, 12:18 PM
I believe ya, just not IME. Vecchios has a new set, not cracked, FS

I belive you as well. I was jsut surprised. One of the cracked sets I saw was being sold as new by a shop. I wasn't sure I belived them.

Black Dog
01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Maybe the cracks are put in at the factory...speed cracks...zoom.

But I think they got the idea from here:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/19a05b27166cd2ef4128db96020bf432/tumblr_na6qxntlc51somw7ho3_500.png

Hindmost
01-25-2015, 05:16 PM
I am running a right hand shifter on a 1 x 10; now I am waiting for it to explode.

Any idea what is going on here? The way the shifter body is cast and cleaned up leaves some sharp edges. Stress risers caused by sharp edges? Annodization?

The posted pictures show cracks all over the body

gfk_velo
01-25-2015, 06:21 PM
I'll add my vote to Old Potatoe - I have 3 sets, one on my TT bike, one on the Mrs TT bike & one on the TT tandem and they are all OK, un-cracked.

The ones on the TT bike date from 2001, so they've been in use a long time.

Admittedly none of these levers are used that heavily by comparison to, say, those that are used by touring riders that use them as a traditional bar-end lever, and nor are they subject to the same punishment as that meted out to those used on cyclo-cross bikes ...

Having said all that, I find any record that we warranteed any cracked ones from 2008 (when we took over as SC) up until they were discontinued in production (2011) but that's only 3 years ... lots sorted out where they were assembled incorrectly either by end users or in retailers converting from 9 to 10s or vice versa, but nothing with a cracked body.

Maybe the second-hand ones that are turning up cracked are turning up second-hand *because* they are cracked?

Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo main UK SC

thirdgenbird
01-25-2015, 06:34 PM
interesting data points. One of mine does have a random crack elsewhere on the body. It's almost like something caused them to become more brittle.