PDA

View Full Version : Carbon seatpost on alum frame

R3awak3n
01-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Just got a enve seatpost from the classifieds that is going to go in my spooky, yay for me. It is going to replace a thomson masterpiece setback, great seatpost but never really liked the setback look. I figured I will sell it and the it will setback the cost of the enve.

Never had a carbon seatpost before so I went and researched and it seems like some people say no grease btw carbon and alum while some say its fine.

Some say a dry installation is best unless it slips then carbon paste.

Some say dry can seize.

I was going to put a little grease in there but now I am looking for opinions to see what you guys have done and not have had problems with.

RedRider
01-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Always use carbon paste with a carbon seatpost and/or carbon frame. Never dry.

saab2000
01-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Always use carbon paste with a carbon seatpost and/or carbon frame. Never dry.

This. Never dry. Carbon installation paste is a must.

And take it out every year, wipe it off and reinstall it with new paste.

R3awak3n
01-24-2015, 02:07 PM
I found it strange that some people were installing it dry...

in this forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/carbon-seatpost-aluminium-frame-grease-not-grease-carbon-paste-etc-894101.html

I will pick up some carbon paste... any particular one is better?

edit: thanks guys!

RedRider
01-24-2015, 02:15 PM
I found it strange that some people were installing it dry...

in this forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/carbon-seatpost-aluminium-frame-grease-not-grease-carbon-paste-etc-894101.html

I will pick up some carbon paste... any particular one is better?

edit: thanks guys!

There's a lot of misinformation in that thread buy hey it's the internet!
Any carbon paste will work. We use Park Tool SAC-2 and many carbon parts come with a sample of manufacturers suggested paste.

eBAUMANN
01-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Just curious, what is the problem with dry installation if the post isn't slipping when torqued to spec?

I've definitely built a few of my own bikes without any paste or grease and they were fine. Carbon and alloy frames with carbon posts. Even alloy posts in carbon frames, if they aren't slipping I don't bother with paste, don't really see the point...

R3awak3n
01-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Can carbon post not get stuck in the frame? is this impossible?

AngryScientist
01-24-2015, 02:33 PM
carbon paste is definitely not strictly necessary, though it wont hurt. personally i do not use it on any of my bikes.

if the bike will see any foul weather, humidity or wetness, a light coat of grease on the post or the inside of the seat tube is what you want to do, to prevent that nasty white aluminum corrosion from forming and seizing the seatpost in place. i like a dry interface between the clamping area on the seattube/seatpost.

R3awak3n
01-24-2015, 02:39 PM
in my searches I read something about calfee and zinn saying that grease is fine and that its better to put a little grease than to go dry.

Peter B
01-24-2015, 03:02 PM
A little light technical reading on galvanic corrosion between carbon composites and various metals.

http://www.corrosionpedia.com/2/1556/corrosion/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers

I see no reason not to use a thin layer of carbon assembly paste and several good reasons in favor.

eBAUMANN
01-24-2015, 03:24 PM
I see no reason not to use a thin layer of carbon assembly paste and several good reasons in favor.

Two good reasons for ya:

1 - The gritty material in carbon paste will scuff up the finish on the carbon post.

2 - I don't have any carbon paste and wanna ride the bike.

;)

Black Dog
01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
in my searches I read something about calfee and zinn saying that grease is fine and that its better to put a little grease than to go dry.

Grease is bad! :eek: It will cause slipping that will lead to over tightening which will lead to damage to the post. Dry or some carbon paste, which is better because you can lower the amount to torque needed thus reading the chance of any damage to the post. The carbon resin does not corrode or bond to metal frames.

Ralph
01-24-2015, 03:57 PM
What about aluminum seat posts into steel frames? On one of my bikes, with grease, I really have to tighten down the clamp to keep post from moving, does carbon paste work well here, and does it satisfy the need for something to stop action between those two metals.

vqdriver
01-24-2015, 05:16 PM
In real life carbon paste if you have it. Otherwise a dry installation isn't the end of the world.

LouDeeter
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
I install my carbon posts dry in all but carbon frames, then I use carbon paste. No good reason, just the way I've always done it without problem. I do grease aluminum alloy posts for steel or aluminum, not carbon.

Black Dog
01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
What about aluminum seat posts into steel frames? On one of my bikes, with grease, I really have to tighten down the clamp to keep post from moving, does carbon paste work well here, and does it satisfy the need for something to stop action between those two metals.

Carbon paste is fine for this situation. It is grease with very small plastic or glass beads embedded. It works very well with all materials.

bcroslin
01-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Carbon paste is your friend. I've learned the hard way that no paste + lots of sweat equals a stuck post. I dented the frame when it fell out of the vise as I was chiseling the post out. Makes me sick thinking about it.

marciero
01-24-2015, 06:05 PM
I've had one bond/freeze up on me, and another that was very stubborn unless I loosened it once in a while. Once I had to stand on the saddle with the bike upside down, and turn the frame with my hands. Not recommended! I fully expected the frame to break. It was always dry. I think if I had this combination again i would use something.

CAAD
01-24-2015, 06:10 PM
I always just use a little grease on my caad9 with a carbon post. Never had a problem with slippage for the past 5 years since i picked it up.

bart998
01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Two good reasons for ya:

1 - The gritty material in carbon paste will scuff up the finish on the carbon post.

2 - I don't have any carbon paste and wanna ride the bike.

;)

THIS^^^ is why I use a light coat of Park grease. No scratches.

tumbler
01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Carbon paste is fine, but not really necessary for carbon post in an aluminum frame. I've run dry installations on several aluminum frames without the smallest of issues. A very very light coat of grease is ok if you're riding in bad weather, but otherwise dry is fine with the correct torque applied. Don't overthink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Just got a enve seatpost from the classifieds that is going to go in my spooky, yay for me. It is going to replace a thomson masterpiece setback, great seatpost but never really liked the setback look. I figured I will sell it and the it will setback the cost of the enve.

Never had a carbon seatpost before so I went and researched and it seems like some people say no grease btw carbon and alum while some say its fine.

Some say a dry installation is best unless it slips then carbon paste.

Some say dry can seize.

I was going to put a little grease in there but now I am looking for opinions to see what you guys have done and not have had problems with.

I will too. Use any kind of carbon paste.

PLUS with the seat post collar, turn it around so the slot is opposite the slot in the frame. keeps the clamp more round, to prevent cracking.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Can carbon post not get stuck in the frame? is this impossible?

YES..seen more than a few and unlike a metal post, that you can drill a hole into or such, the carbon post just shatters when you try to muscle it out. Carbon paste, or grease(metal seat posts and frames), NEVER dry, for any seatpost in any frame. IMHO. Some have dome them dry w/o any issue but in a shop setting, where ya see it all. It's not fun to have to send the frame to Nobilette so he can drill the remnants of the seat post out.

YMMV, but a packet of $2 carbon paste is not really a hardship, again, IMHO.