PDA

View Full Version : Lemond TSX refinish or not?

LiveFreeOrDie
01-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Just got this cool Lemond frame in the mail today and I'm debating whether or not to get it refinished. Great candidate for it. The paint is in okay shape I guess but the previous owner had the bright idea of taking a Sharpe to finish Greg's name. Hilarious really.

Whadaya think? Refinish?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/surfingtherms/LEMOND_FRAME_zpsf6ba7012.jpg

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Only based on that picture, I would be hesitant.

I would try and clean off the sharpie and then give the whole frame a proper detail with polishing compound, quality wax and then a good quick detailer. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks great.

Nooch
01-24-2015, 12:11 PM
You could always try using dry-erase marker on top of the sharpie to see if it will come off -- apparently that works, per my wife...

gomango
01-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Only based on that picture, I would be hesitant.

I would try and clean off the sharpie and then give the whole frame a proper detail with polishing compound, quality wax and then a good quick detailer. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks great.

Follow TGB's advice, then I would build and ride before any refinish.

Make double sure you love it before sinking big $$$$ into it.

LiveFreeOrDie
01-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Cleaned up the frame. Not touching it. The paint doesn't look too bad except on the down tube. I can live with it. :)

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 12:26 PM
You could always try using dry-erase marker on top of the sharpie to see if it will come off -- apparently that works, per my wife...

I've seen it done on a dry erase board, could be different on paint.

If the decals are under clear, I would carefully try something like goo gone. buffing compound may take it off as well.

I mark my seatposts with either black or silver sharpie. Some always seems OT get on the frame paint but I've never had trouble getting it off. Possibly because I almost always fully detail the paint before assembly.

LiveFreeOrDie
01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
I've seen it done on a dry erase board, could be different on paint.

If the decals are iner clear, I would carefully try something like goo gone. buffing compound may take it off as well.

I mark my seatposts with either black or silver sharpie. Some always seems OT get on the frame paint but I've never had trouble getting it off. Possibly because I almost always fully detail the paint before assembly.

Sharpie came off with goo gone. :-)

thirdgenbird
01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Did you find a carbon record 10 group yet? ;)

RedRider
01-24-2015, 01:40 PM
I strongly believe in the saying "It's only original once". Unless there is rust or a lot of scratches and chips I would usually suggest just a good cleaning and polish. Enjoy!

john903
01-24-2015, 03:15 PM
I agree i like the, it's only original once attitude. Build it up and put a lot of miles on it and see if you are going to keep it and then decide if you want to put more money into it. I have an old Hampsten from 2001 I keep going back and forth on to repaint but I keep putting it off because it is only original once.

Also what bike is in the back ground humm blue with chromed seat stays?

Have a great day.

LiveFreeOrDie
01-24-2015, 05:26 PM
I agree i like the, it's only original once attitude. Build it up and put a lot of miles on it and see if you are going to keep it and then decide if you want to put more money into it. I have an old Hampsten from 2001 I keep going back and forth on to repaint but I keep putting it off because it is only original once.

Have a great day.

This one...:)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/surfingtherms/Ciocc_1_zpsc200683b.jpg

AngryScientist
01-24-2015, 05:49 PM
i agree with the build it and ride it for a while philosophy. you definitely want to know if it's a keeper before pumping some dollars into a restoration.

now: that said, if the bike rides great, and feels good, i say go for the resto! there is nothing wrong with refinishing an older nice bike and keeping it going well into the future. i think a lot of what attracts us to some of the newer modern handmade steel bikes is the aesthetics, and fresh paint schemes. personalizing an older bike that rides great is a brilliant idea to get a "new" bike in the stable.

i've been spending a lot of time on my old lugged Bridgestone, lower end road bike, built as a fixie, and used as a rain bike. the paint is beat to hell, but it just rides like a dream. i'm seriously considering sending it off for some refinishing love in a few years, i'm sure it will come right back to life and still ride like a cloud.

F150
01-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I thought toluene was the ticket, but see reference to 50/50 mix of toluene and isopropanol. Hear it's also used to clean electronics, circuit boards (Rosin Soolvent); may be available at Radio Shack or similar. Kinda like the warnings on other products, "try on an inconspicuous place"...maybe put your initials on underside of bottom bracket and try solvent on that first.

Of course, if Goober put a coat of clear over the marker, you may be SOL

F150
01-24-2015, 06:00 PM
I thought toluene was the ticket, but see reference to 50/50 mix of toluene and isopropanol. Hear it's also used to clean electronics, circuit boards (Rosin Soolvent); may be available at Radio Shack or similar. Kinda like the warnings on other products, "try on an inconspicuous place"...maybe put your initials on underside of bottom bracket and try solvent on that first.

Of course, if Goober put a coat of clear over the marker, you may be SOL. Of course, everything has a solvent...

john903
01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Wow that is a very nice CIOCC. Speaking of paint I don't think I have ever seen one that color was it a repaint?

F150
01-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Sharpie came off with goo gone. :-)

According to my wife, I'm not very observant...

JMacII
01-25-2015, 09:01 AM

Never ceases to amaze me the things people here will pick up in the background of a photo.

LiveFreeOrDie
01-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Wow that is a very nice CIOCC. Speaking of paint I don't think I have ever seen one that color was it a repaint?

It's not a repaint. The color is just not very common. They guy I bought it from was the original owner and he said he bought back in 87'

one60
01-25-2015, 10:02 AM
and is safe for most clear coat. Just put some on a clean cloth and it should wipe off. I'd avoid anything stronger to avoid damage to the top coat.