PDA

View Full Version : Sliding dropout SSCX/commuter disc frame recommendations?

Vinci
01-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I am doing some casual research into replacing my CrossCheck commuter with something of the disc-brake variety.

Sliding dropouts seem to make the most sense with disc brakes, but seem to be a very uncommon feature, at least on a non-custom frame.

The Soma Wolverine has every feature I want (rack/fender mounts, etc.) at a price I can live with, but the smallest size still has a 54.5cm top tube, and I need something more in the 52cm range.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Lewis Moon
01-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Civilian Vive Le Roi?

Vinci
01-23-2015, 09:06 AM
I looked at those, but they are $1400 for just the frameset and don't have any mounts for a rack.

The Wolverine and Surly are more in the $500-ish range, which is more what I'm shooting for (unless I can find a used one).

EDS
01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Swobo Scofflaw, if it is available yet.

Vinci
01-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Swobo Scofflaw, if it is available yet.
I looked at that one too. It has rack and fender mounts on the slider, but nothing on the seat stays, oddly. I could get around that with the right seatpost clamp, but they are also only selling a complete setup ($1250).

If they end up selling framesets as well, this may be a good option.

brockd15
01-23-2015, 09:26 AM
How about a Surly Straggler?

Vinci
01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
That was my first target, since it's the basically the same frame as the CrossCheck I love. I suppose I might still settle for it, but I like the idea of sliding dropouts, since that keeps the disc caliper aligned even if you change the chain tension or gearing.

In the end, maybe that's not that big of a deal since the Straggler has alignment screws to help, but I thought sliders would be a cool way to go if I can find them.

bluesea
01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Transition Rapture/Traitor Crusade looks very *very* nice, but only one water bottle mount (as homage to racing I guess).

Limonade
01-23-2015, 09:35 AM
How about an All-City Nature Boy Disc?

Seems like its about $650 for the frameset (the also offer complete) and the writeup on their site say its got hidden fender mounts. clearance for 38C, presumably a little less with fenders:

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy_disc

I know...not quite sliding dropouts, but the tension screw on the non-drive side for the track style dropouts actually moves the disc caliper too!

Also, their smallest frame has a 52 eff TT

Vinci
01-23-2015, 10:06 AM
How about an All-City Nature Boy Disc?

Seems like its about $650 for the frameset (the also offer complete) and the writeup on their site say its got hidden fender mounts. clearance for 38C, presumably a little less with fenders:

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy_disc

I know...not quite sliding dropouts, but the tension screw on the non-drive side for the track style dropouts actually moves the disc caliper too!

Also, their smallest frame has a 52 eff TT
I actually missed that about the hidden mounts. It looks like there is just one set, so it would be a rack or fenders.

That's kind of a middle ground with their caliper slider. It seems like you'd have to loosen the caliper bolts to take tension off the chain when taking out the rear wheel (flats, etc.), though, and that seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Limonade
01-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Transition Rapture/Traitor Crusade looks very *very* nice, but only one water bottle mount (as homage to racing I guess).

Woah...that is pretty sweet actually...might have a new project..haha

I think you're right about having to loosen the caliper to get the wheel out...definitely makes it less appealing

p nut
01-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Just for clarification--are you looking to race CX as well? Or just for commuting purposes?

bluesea
01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Woah...that is pretty sweet actually...might have a new project..haha

(snip)

Yup, the only other frame I've found is the Wraith, which is high on my list right now, but in a higher price bracket for the OP. Would be really nice if Yeti did their CX frame for disc.

Vinci
01-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Just for clarification--are you looking to race CX as well? Or just for commuting purposes?
Just commuting and general messing around. I mentioned SSCX into the title because there seems to be a bit of overlap in the frame options.

Lewis Moon
01-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Too Big:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/4859350604.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00202_cZo6Kufm0lH_600x450.jpg

p nut
01-24-2015, 02:07 PM
If it were me, I would probably just get a Straggler (if you're wanting discs). Yes, the dropouts will require fiddling with brakes if you change gearing. However, sliding dropouts aren't without fault, either. Ones I had were a bit of a pain to adjust. i.e., Salsa's take 3 different wrenches to adjust. Sometimes the drops would move slightly after I snugged the bolts down (drove me crazy). Redline kept slipping.

It seems simpler (to me) to adjust a brake caliper than rear drops, just from my own experience.

OR, the simplest option is to keep the nice bike you already own. I mean, c'mon, do you really need discs? :)

Vinci
01-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Too Big:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/4859350604.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00202_cZo6Kufm0lH_600x450.jpg
Why can't I be a bit taller? :(

If it were me, I would probably just get a Straggler (if you're wanting discs). Yes, the dropouts will require fiddling with brakes if you change gearing. However, sliding dropouts aren't without fault, either. Ones I had were a bit of a pain to adjust. i.e., Salsa's take 3 different wrenches to adjust. Sometimes the drops would move slightly after I snugged the bolts down (drove me crazy). Redline kept slipping.

It seems simpler (to me) to adjust a brake caliper than rear drops, just from my own experience.

OR, the simplest option is to keep the nice bike you already own. I mean, c'mon, do you really need discs? :)
You may be right about the sliders. In my head it seems like a nice option since it takes care of the caliper adjustment and makes things a little easier with fenders (vertical dropout), but I've never actually lived with them.

I never said I'd get rid of the CrossCheck. ;) It might not end up being my commuter anymore, but you know the rules of N+1...