PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for painting the single speed

Bruce K
04-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I am thinking about re-painting the Raleigh frame that I got from ingobwetrust.

One of our local bike club guys who restores vintage autos has started doing custom paint on bike frames at pretty reasonable prices.

His personal ride is a metallic blue back half with silver front half. The silver is in a flame pattern with airbrushed plate and rivet design and a hand-done head tube design.

I personally like dark blue as a base color and am thinking maybe not flames on this one.

Does anyone have any interesting suggestions / websites to try and get some serious ideas?

BK

Kevan
04-03-2006, 08:38 AM
are meant to be kept simple, all one color. Red, black, white... whatever. One color.

Okay, you can outline lugs and cutouts in a contrasting color for accent, but that's it!

Bruce K
04-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Kev. I wish it had lugs, but alas it is aluminum.

We talked about painting fake lugs on it but is has an aero down tube so that idea won't work.

The painter thinks that we need to do something with the oversize downtube as once it is re-painted there will be no decals and that's alot of surface for a single color.

BK

Fixed
04-03-2006, 09:29 AM
are meant to be kept simple, all one color. Red, black, white... whatever. One color.

that's it!
me too
cheers

Sandy
04-03-2006, 09:35 AM
You mentioned that you like a deep blue color. I have seen one of Spoke's Serottas whch was mostly cobalt blue. I really like that blue. I have been considering the possibility of selling my CSi and purchasing a new all steel CDA. If I do, it will probably be painted in cobalt blue without almost no decals. If I use any other color, it would be minimal useage. I agree with Kevan that a single color is definitely best for a single speed or fixed gear. Keeping it simple adds to simple functionality (is there such a word) of the bike. More colors would detract from the look of the bike.

Blues Brothers Sandy