PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Toes-Ouch! Care and Feeding?

jmeloy
01-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Hi gang, I struggle frequently with a small crack on the tip of my right big toe and now have an identical one on the left. Not dead center but in both cases just inside of dead center, oriented top to bottom. ~3 mm or so and hurt like hell when in street shoes.
No shoe change and shoes fit well. Yep, dry skin but clearly related to the more I ride.

Anybody else get these and do you have a routine to improve and treat?
Thanks!

buddybikes
01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Urea based cream, google diabetic foot creams. Why toe, that is weird, usually it happens in heal. Sounds like you have some weird rubbing. Good socks?

93legendti
01-22-2015, 08:35 PM
I have the same issues. What works best for me is putting on some kind of moisturizing cream on my feet and then covering with socks at night. If necessary I will re moisturize during the day.

I'd also check the humidity setting on your furnace, to make sure your house isn't too dry. You can add humidity by filling a tub, sinks, etc...

Wool socks, tend to aggravate my dry skin...

Steve in SLO
01-22-2015, 08:46 PM
You may either have dry skin, calloused and dry skin, local trauma or some fungal infection, which may be leading to the cracking.
Moisturizers are great, but make sure that you get out of your shoes and wash your feet soon after having a ride. Antifungal creams or powders during the day may help you as well, and something like bag balm or other moisturizer would be good at night.

old fat man
01-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Happens to my hands in the winter. I use neosporin, bag balm, or aquafor. Applying often, and covering your feet after applying is helpful.

Black Dog
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
This (even on your little piggies):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xs31MuUJL._SL1345_.jpg

jmeloy
01-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Good help gang. Callouses for sure. Covering at night worth a shot as a good remedy.

2LeftCleats
01-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Agree the above are useful for prevention,but I've found the best way to deal with the cracks in my fingertips this time of year is to gently clean them and fill them with superglue. Markedly reduces the pain and allows healing from below.

douglas
01-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Try Burt's Bees Coconut foot cream. Someone above suggested that you put the moisturizer and socks on before you go to bed. That works for my cracked heels.

commonguy001
01-23-2015, 06:45 AM
I like the Aveda foot cream, I think it smells like peppermint if I remember correctly. Put it on before you hit the pillow and that'd be that.

I have had cracking issues with my hands in years past and use their hand cream now and have no issues.

cderalow
01-23-2015, 07:15 AM
I use the Aveeno healing cream on my hands.... cream, not lotion. has better staying power.

I find since I wear all leather shoes for 10-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week... my feet don't ever really dry out.

wallymann
01-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Agree the above are useful for prevention,but I've found the best way to deal with the cracks in my fingertips this time of year is to gently clean them and fill them with superglue. Markedly reduces the pain and allows healing from below.

that's what seals/rangers and other military spec-ops guys use when dealing with blisters on a mission. they prick/drain the offending blister, then inject superglue. i've also heard they cover them with duct-tape.

Bostic
01-23-2015, 09:45 AM
I will give a big +1 to how darn well Working Hands and their foot version, Healthy Feet work. Every friggin' year for the past 20 or so years during winter I would get cracks in my thumbs on the edges from playing the drums and lugging around equipment to and from shows/rehearsal rooms. Like clockwork. A small split would start, then from hitting constant rim shots on the snare drum it would grow. Then I would start the regimen. Liquid Bandage on the cracks, sit and wait 10 minutes while it dried while embracing that lovely smell. I could never find an acceptable lotion. Neutragena Norwegian hand creme, Aveeno, Bag Balm, Vaseline, Corn Huskers lotion and a bunch of others.

Last year I saw the display at a Bed Bath Beyond and picked up a tin of Working Hands. Game changer. I'm now on my second winter sans thumb cracks. My feet are smooth too. At first I didn't like the feeling of the Healthy Feet cream then putting on socks but I'm used to it now. I had never heard of the O'Keeffe's company before, it was originally a small operation out of Oregon but the founder sold to Gorilla Glue a few years ago after some tax law changes. I liked the fact that she never applied for a patent figuring that the odds were low of someone figuring out the formula. The stuff simply works.

jmeloy
01-23-2015, 08:56 PM
I will give a big +1 to how darn well Working Hands and their foot version, Healthy Feet work. Every friggin' year for the past 20 or so years during winter I would get cracks in my thumbs on the edges from playing the drums and lugging around equipment to and from shows/rehearsal rooms. Like clockwork. A small split would start, then from hitting constant rim shots on the snare drum it would grow. Then I would start the regimen. Liquid Bandage on the cracks, sit and wait 10 minutes while it dried while embracing that lovely smell. I could never find an acceptable lotion. Neutragena Norwegian hand creme, Aveeno, Bag Balm, Vaseline, Corn Huskers lotion and a bunch of others.

Last year I saw the display at a Bed Bath Beyond and picked up a tin of Working Hands. Game changer. I'm now on my second winter sans thumb cracks. My feet are smooth too. At first I didn't like the feeling of the Healthy Feet cream then putting on socks but I'm used to it now. I had never heard of the O'Keeffe's company before, it was originally a small operation out of Oregon but the founder sold to Gorilla Glue a few years ago after some tax law changes. I liked the fact that she never applied for a patent figuring that the odds were low of someone figuring out the formula. The stuff simply works.

Gonna go get some of this tomorrow!

93legendti
01-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Don't know why, but O'Keeffes didn't work for me. Guess I should try it again.

My uncle is a retired dermatologist and he would joke that when patients came in he would give them the red salve. If that didn't work, the blue salve. If that didn't work the white salve...I took that to mean that you have to find what works for you. That's the "fun" part.:crap:

Scooper
01-23-2015, 11:04 PM
steveandbarb1 had it right in the first reply. I have exactly the same problem (cracked skin on the tip of my big toe; mine's on the left toe). My dermatologist told me to stop wearing open toe sandals and to wash and dry the toes twice a day and apply urea cream (I use urix40 by Topix Pharmaceuticals); it's U.S.P 40% Urea.

My crack healed in four or five days following the doc's instructions. I apply it every couple of days to prevent the cracking from reoccurring.

Topix Urix 40 Urea Cream - 8 oz (http://www.amazon.com/Topix-Urix-40-Urea-Cream/dp/B00NCE0NCG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422075687&sr=8-4&keywords=topix+urix+40+urea+cream)

jmeloy
01-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Scooper, that sounds really promising. Thanks for this.