PDA

View Full Version : Tufo tyres...

MallyG
04-03-2006, 03:50 AM
Yesterday, I was riding with a group in usual British April conditions (bit of sun, bit of rain, debris on the ground etc).

One of my pals was riding his Anniversary edition DeRosa and was using tubulars. The rest of us were all on clinchers.

Suddenly, he punctured. And he didn't have a spare. However, he was using tyres I'd never heard of called Tufo, which came with it's own sealant. He squirted some into the tyre, spun the wheel, pumped up with CO2, and was back on the road with a hard tyre once more.

It was so impressive that I actually came away thinking about tubs.

Anyone made the transition? Any pros or cons?

ericspin
04-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I use Tufo's on my cross bike. I love them for the reasons you mentioned plus I can run real low tire pressures if I like. Rather expensive but i hope that they last longer to justify the cost

Too Tall
04-03-2006, 06:52 AM
MallyG - My experience with TUFO sealant in TUFO tubulars is not spectacular. It works however, at lower pressures than I'd like to run the tyre normally. I used TUFO Elite road tubulars and normally ran 100-105 PSI. At that pressure the latex sealant will not hold pressure. Also, I am what DBRK calls "religious" about tubulars in general meaning: I am finicky about only using quality tubulars because the ride and performance is soooo wonderful. Unfortunately the TUFO Elite roads have no life! Terrible ride quality. For the $$, I'd rather train on and ocassionally race Continental Sprinters or better yet Veloflex. If they pop you can repair them :)