PDA

View Full Version : OT: Want to buy a shotgun...

veggieburger
01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Howdy shooters. So....I have sold some earthly possessions and would like to buy a shotgun. It will be used for deer 90% of the time. I have never hunted birds or geese and don't plan to, but it might get pointed at a coyote or two.

After doing a teeny tiny bit of research I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 with multiple barrels. There's a 3 barrel combo at Cabelas that looks pretty good (including a rifled barrel for slugs). Probably get a composite stock so I don't feel bad about taking it out in crappy weather.

A 223 would be awesome, but because of local laws where I live, it has to be a shotgun.

Any other input/brands/suggestions?
Thanks!

brockd15
01-22-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm no shotgun expert by any stretch, but I think the Mossberg would be a good choice. You might also look at the the Remington 870. From what I've heard it's the most popular shotgun ever made...or something like that. I have one and I like it. You can find all the aftermarket stuff for it like you can the Mossberg.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

gdw
01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Check out the Ithaca Deerslayer. Classic design and very accurate.

malcolm
01-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Check out the Ithaca Deerslayer. Classic design and very accurate.

I don't shoot or hunt anymore but was an enthusiast for many years. I've always had good luck with and liked Ithaca, now the last one I owned was some twenty years ago and Ithaca tended to be light and kick pretty hard, if that matters again that was a long time ago.

Remington 870 has been around forever and is what we used in the military a little shortened and with a high capacity magazine. Mossbergs also have a long history. Slug barrel is a good idea if you plan on shooting slugs as I think the rifling improves the accuracy. If you are going to shoot buckshot, I always preferred a longish barrel with a full choke, just my choice.

MattTuck
01-22-2015, 12:16 PM
When I was at Cornell, some of my friends lived at Gunhill, a complex across the street from the Ithaca Gun factory. Good times were had in those apartments. :banana:

Highpowernut
01-22-2015, 12:23 PM
I have a H&R single shot with a rifled barrel. It's accurate out to 150 yards or more.

That gun was my only deer gun in Indiana as it was shot gun only also.

Price was cheep, put a decent scope on it and drill anything you see. It's put a lot of meat in the freezer.

Longest shot was at 220 paces, but only cuz I knew the zero, I would not suggest any shot gun past 150 . But since competition for me starts at 200, I had zeros and had practice at that distance.

F150
01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Don't want to come away as a snob or as recommending the wrong tool (i.e 20 ga when 12 ga is clearly better), but the best bang for buck is the Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. Stupid light (5.25 lbs empty, IIRC), can carry all day and still be able to raise your beverage come nightfall. Yes, a 12 ga. slug is going to be a better performer/more energy/more range, but plenty of kids have taken deer of a lifetime with a 20 ga. slug. Just get closer! Treat it with some minimal level of care (e.g. keep clean and dry/lightly oiled; clean it once a year, whether it needs it or not) and it will outlive you. Go handle one before you take a decision.

Background: I've owned Remington 870s, 1100s, 11-87; Beretta 682, 686; Benelli SBE; H&R Topper (my first, a 20). Shot plenty of Brownings, Gamba, Rugers, Mossbergs, Winchesters, even a Rem Mdl 32 and Kreighoff. The 11-87 is the only gun I'd advise you avoid; all the rest are fine equipment. Some just prettier or more refined than others.

There is no better gun for dove, quail, etc. and an associate of mine shoots the 20 ga. Montefeltro on decoying ducks as well. If I ever downsize, or sell my Beretta 3 gun set, a 20 ga. Montefeltro will replace them/it.

Bruce K
01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Not a shotgun guy (Smallbore pistol and service rifle competitions now) anymore but always had good luck with Ithaca, Remington, and Mosbergs

BK

dave thompson
01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
I was in the firearms trade for quite a while and I'll echo the sentiments regarding the Mossberg, Ithaca and Remington shotguns. They're all good, reliable, dead nuts dependable and with a modicum of care the chances are they will outlast you.

Whatever one you choose, take it to a good fitter (gun, not bike!) and have it fit to you. This is done by lengthening with a pad or spacers, or shortening the stock to suit you and ensure that it comes up the same way everytime you shoulder the gun. The gun will be more comfortable and more accurate shooting too.

Vinci
01-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Moss 500 isn't a nice gun, but it will always work and it won't cost you much.

It's main competitor is the Remington 870 and there's a bit of a Campy-vs-Shimano discussion that follows the comparison.

FWIW, if you're a lefty, the 500's safety is a little easier to use. Otherwise, either would be a good option.

Also, don't get too hung up on needing a lot of barrels. You can use rifled slugs in a smooth bore, and if you don't need a short barrel for around the house, you really only need the smooth hunting barrel.

William
01-22-2015, 12:32 PM
I was in the firearms trade for quite a while and I'll echo the sentiments regarding the Mossberg, Ithaca and Remington shotguns. They're all good, reliable, dependable and chances are they will outlast you.

Whatever one you choose, take it to a good fitter (gun, not bike!) and have it fit to you. This is done by lengthening with a pad or spacers, or shortening the stock to suit you and ensure that it comes up the same way everytime you shoulder the gun. The gun will be more comfortable and more accurate shooting too.

What our amigo said.;)

William

clyde the point
01-22-2015, 01:14 PM
I bought my kid one of these Savage 220 B bolt action 20 gauges.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464618252

That thing shoots as well as a centerfire to 200 yds with Remington Sabots. Darn most rifle-like shotgun I've ever used. I love it when he doesn't want to go out during deer season, then it's mine. I can't say enough good things about these.

My own 870 has a Hastings barrel, cantilevered for scope, and rifled. That add on is necessary, in my opinion, to get any decent accuracy out of the new Sabots beyond 100 yds. That being said, most shots around here are 50-75 yds, and only once did I peg one at 155.

Good luck Sir. It's a great sport.

malcolm
01-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Don't want to come away as a snob or as recommending the wrong tool (i.e 20 ga when 12 ga is clearly better), but the best bang for buck is the Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. Stupid light (5.25 lbs empty, IIRC), can carry all day and still be able to raise your beverage come nightfall. Yes, a 12 ga. slug is going to be a better performer/more energy/more range, but plenty of kids have taken deer of a lifetime with a 20 ga. slug. Just get closer! Treat it with some minimal level of care (e.g. keep clean and dry/lightly oiled; clean it once a year, whether it needs it or not) and it will outlive you. Go handle one before you take a decision.

Background: I've owned Remington 870s, 1100s, 11-87; Beretta 682, 686; Benelli SBE; H&R Topper (my first, a 20). Shot plenty of Brownings, Gamba, Rugers, Mossbergs, Winchesters, even a Rem Mdl 32 and Kreighoff. The 11-87 is the only gun I'd advise you avoid; all the rest are fine equipment. Some just prettier or more refined than others.

There is no better gun for dove, quail, etc. and an associate of mine shoots the 20 ga. Montefeltro on decoying ducks as well. If I ever downsize, or sell my Beretta 3 gun set, a 20 ga. Montefeltro will replace them/it.

Interesting, when I was a duck hunter in most settings I preferred my 16ga.. I had an Ithaca feather light and a browning auto and loved both of them but the Ithaca more. Unless the birds were gonna be high I preferred the 16 over the 12, most folks thought I was nuts though.

GScot
01-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Ithaca and the browning BPS are the smoothest nicest actions available. Same design. Mossberg and Remington offer good performance / dollar but less refined although Remington does offer higher grades. Check and see if your state permits pistol caliber carbines as many do. A 44 magnum lever gun can be pretty handy.

If you do consider moving up a step a Benelli is in fact a great choice. For everything short of waterfowl I prefer a 20 gauge, including slugs. Or maybe pheasant as a 12 does have an edge on wily wild birds that need a good dose of #4 shot.

ScottM
01-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Excellent replies. I agree with the fitting is very important crowd. While not as important for deer hunting in any kind of upland hunting or sporting clays you will find that being able to comfortably and consistently bring the shotgun to your shoulder will have a huge influence on your accuracy. I like Ithaca but the gun that fits is the answer.

GScot
01-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Yes, I meant to put fit in my post as well. As little as setting the pitch on the butt pad can make a world of difference. Most factory stocks allow too much rise under recoil instead of directing recoil straight back.

veggieburger
01-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I have a H&R single shot with a rifled barrel. It's accurate out to 150 yards or more.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have heard great things about these single shot H&Rs, and the price is lovely too. Add this one to my short list, along with the Moss 500 and Rem 870. Now to find a good deal...

seanile
01-22-2015, 02:33 PM
remington 870 super mag synthetic stock. can't go wrong.

tiretrax
01-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Go to a couple of stores and see what fits you best as you shoulder the gun. A good salesman will be able to see it and not try to upsell you.

yngpunk
01-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Howdy shooters. So....I have sold some earthly possessions and would like to buy a shotgun. It will be used for deer 90% of the time. I have never hunted birds or geese and don't plan to, but it might get pointed at a coyote or two.

After doing a teeny tiny bit of research I'm thinking a Mossberg 500 with multiple barrels. There's a 3 barrel combo at Cabelas that looks pretty good (including a rifled barrel for slugs). Probably get a composite stock so I don't feel bad about taking it out in crappy weather.

A 223 would be awesome, but because of local laws where I live, it has to be a shotgun.

Any other input/brands/suggestions?
Thanks!

Sorry, but can't resist...but does anyone else find it funny that "veggieburger" is looking to buy a shotgun for deer hunting. :)

All good, and some interesting reading here.

veggieburger
01-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but can't resist...but does anyone else find it funny that "veggieburger" is looking to buy a shotgun for deer hunting. :)

I like my veggieburgers mixed with a little ground venison and a touch of pork. :)

Btw, any strong feelings on 12 vs 20 gauge?

dave thompson
01-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I like my veggieburgers mixed with a little ground venison and a touch of pork. :)

Btw, any strong feelings on 12 vs 20 gauge?
You're going hunting animals that can weigh many hundreds of pounds. You want to kill it cleanly and quickly. A 12ga will do that much better than a 20ga.

fiamme red
01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
I like my veggieburgers mixed with a little ground venison and a touch of pork. :):)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6njxmxFZX1raqba5o1_500.jpg

William
01-22-2015, 03:19 PM
:)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6njxmxFZX1raqba5o1_500.jpg

He needs more protein! http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/frutas/www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-weightlifting.gif

;):)
William

verticaldoug
01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
This is the old serottaforum. You need a bespoke gun.
https://hollandandholland.com/gun-rooms/
If you are ever in NYC, go to the NY gun room. True works of art. I always wanted a .700 Nitro Express Double Barrel rifle. The elephant gun.

Challenge yourself, Mossberg bolt action 410. Learn shot placement. More fun.

parris
01-22-2015, 03:26 PM
The 870 has been on the market since 1950 in all popular gauges and configurations. The 500 I believe came out in the early 60's. I've had experience with good and bad examples of each. Don't limit your choices to new firearms given the length of time each model has been out there. If I were going for an 870 today I would look for a Wingmaster dating from the late 50's to early 90's followed by a newer production Wingmaster. The last choice for me if going with an 870 would be one of the Express models. These all have a lower level of finishing and the newer the model some parts get cheapened up. Several parts change from forgings to MIM parts, The trigger guard changes from aluminum to plastic. Just something to be aware of with the 870.

As to fit and such, before you have a fitting do yourself a favor and get at least a few lessons on a clays course. It's one of those deals where a few dollars spent can often times keep a shooter from having to pay for more than one fitting session because the shooter learns how to mount and swing the gun first.

Go 12 gauge simply due to the greater range of loads that are available. My personal two favorite gauges are the 16 and 28 but I reload to make them affordable as well as tailoring the load to what I shoot.

These days the pump guns that I shoot are Ithaca 37, Winchester model 12, Winchester model 42, and a beater Marlin for when things are ugly. These guns fit and balance for me better than the 870 or 500 which makes hitting with them easier for me.

Jaq
01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
You're going hunting animals that can weigh many hundreds of pounds. You want to kill it cleanly and quickly. A 12ga will do that much better than a 20ga.

This.

As for brands, a Browning BPS 12-gauge.

brockd15
01-22-2015, 03:42 PM
This is the old serottaforum. You need a bespoke gun.
https://hollandandholland.com/gun-rooms/
If you are ever in NYC, go to the NY gun room. True works of art. I always wanted a .700 Nitro Express Double Barrel rifle. The elephant gun.

Challenge yourself, Mossberg bolt action 410. Learn shot placement. More fun.

Holy smokes!!!

That's a whole different level of expensive. Makes these fancy bikes looks like cheap toys.

gdw
01-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Whatever you choose, buy it from a gun shop not a chain sporting goods store.

jmoore
01-22-2015, 03:58 PM
What GScot said.

FWIW, my entire family gets an 870 when they turn 16. There are at least 15 of them floating around. We have never had a problem with any of them. They are about as attractive as a boat paddle, but they are indestructible. Mine is a turkey slaying machine.

Most any pump will be a good choice. Mossy 500 is a great choice. Benelli Nova. Weatherby PA-08. All fine.

dave thompson
01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Holy smokes!!!

That's a whole different level of expensive. Makes these fancy bikes looks like cheap toys.

And if you want to have one made for you the wait time makes e-Richie look like he's on speed!

parris
01-22-2015, 04:19 PM
If I lived in the H&H/Purdy tax bracket I'd opt for a Rizzini or David Mccay Brown.

tigoat
01-22-2015, 04:46 PM
To hunt deer, I would get a single shot, a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter, which you can swap barrels with a number of different shotgun, rifle, and pistol calibers. It is as versatile as it gonna get being convertible between a long gun and a handgun. I was hooked on a single shot gun a long time ago like I am hooked on riding a single speed bike nowadays. However, I wouldn't use a single shot gun to hunt dangerous game though; I have some other multi-shot guns for that.

moose8
01-22-2015, 05:05 PM
I've had a browning auto-5 made in Belgium for literally my entire life (purchased for me before I was born - yes, I'm originally from the woods). It always worked well for 39 years so if you see a used one you might think of that. If you do want to spend more the suggestion of a binelli is a good one - my father has one and absolutely loves it and he's about as hard core a hunter as there is. Like with bikes, if you take care of a nice shotgun it will outlast you.

nighthawk
01-22-2015, 05:12 PM
I'll throw another vote to Benelli. I have a Nova, 12 gauge, pump action. Very versatile. A little heavy for all day carrying, but suits me fine. Really well made, it's Italian after all. My second vote would be for an 870, but look for older models in good shape. "They just don't make 'em like they used to."

parris
01-22-2015, 05:14 PM
One thing to be aware of with Benelli is that at least up until a few years ago their cs was pretty sketchy when something is wrong with the shotgun. Ruger, S&W, Glock, and many other manufacturers do a better job. I don't have an axe to grind just passing along info.

sg8357
01-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Holy smokes!!!

If Rapha people had money, this would be their magazine.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal.htm

The magazine itself is a work of art, the guns are amazing.

For you John Wayne fans.......
https://www.pinterest.com/cjshelley/martha-you-didnt-happen-to-think-of-my-greeners/

wc1934
01-22-2015, 08:19 PM
My father had a Berretta - modified choke - just point and shoot. Work of art
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/shotguns/

parris
01-22-2015, 08:27 PM
The other magazine that caters to the upper end shotgun crowd is Shooting Sportsman. Double Gun Journal is a quarterly and Shooting Sportsman comes out every other month. Both are very good magazines with in depth writing as well as great photography.

I live 20 minutes away from 3 clays ranges that are as good as any in the states. The Binghamton Gun Club, Hansmens (sp) Hidden Hollow, and Rock Mountain Sporting Clays all throw great targets with Binghamton and Rock Mountain focusing a bit more on the competition end of things.

F150
01-22-2015, 08:30 PM

Well placed shot far more important than energy, IMO. If not, I better trade in the 270 and go 600 Nitro ASAP! Develop skill, then match the tool to the task. If your deer sized game are not going to be inside 100 yards, I might lean toward the 12 ga. as well.

Ithaca and the browning BPS are the smoothest nicest actions available. Same design. Mossberg and Remington offer good performance / dollar but less refined although Remington does offer higher grades. Check and see if your state permits pistol caliber carbines as many do. A 44 magnum lever gun can be pretty handy.

If you do consider moving up a step a Benelli is in fact a great choice. For everything short of waterfowl I prefer a 20 gauge, including slugs. Or maybe pheasant as a 12 does have an edge on wily wild birds that need a good dose of #4 shot.

Some bow down to Merckx, others to John Browning. Machined guns are always smoother than stamped, so if you find an older Ithaca Mdl 37, Remington 870 (or Mdl 17), Browning Mdl 12, then will almost always point better and operate smoother than the newer versions.

As Jmoore said, hard to beat the 870. Lots of good opinions on this thread.

Jeff N.
01-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Pump: Remington 870
Auto: Remington 1100
Over/Under: Ruger Red Label

Those are my personal favorites. Jeff N. ("Im an animal lover, yes! I love animals...especially with mashed potatoes and gravy!"-Ted Nugent )

Ken Robb
01-22-2015, 09:24 PM
In general, gas-operated semi-autos absorb some recoil that other shotguns do not. This may not matter much to a hunter who rarely fires more than a couple of shots at a time/in a row.

texbike
01-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Broken record here, but it's hard to beat the 870.

We have one for home defense with a short barrel and extended magazine that's a hand-me-down purchased by a family member in the late 60s. It's almost 50 years old and has had 100s of rounds fired through it. It still looks, shoots, and works perfectly. Kinda hard to argue with that level of quality and functionality.

Texbike

93legendti
01-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Talk about Campy/Shimano debates...the gun forums love the debate of shotgun vs handgun for home defense...

Bruce K
01-23-2015, 04:16 AM
Let's stay off that one and on to the intended use by the OP, please.

BK

tv_vt
01-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Wow - three pages of knowledgeable replies based on long time experiences. I took one look at the thread title and thought this was gonna be locked in about 30 seconds.

This place always amazes me in its breadth of latent knowledge.

veggieburger
01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
This place always amazes me in its breadth of latent knowledge.

It's true! I often go here for stuff totally unrelated to cycling. I think I'm going to start looking for a Rem 870. Once I find something, perhaps I'll resurrect this thread with a photo or two. :banana:

Jeff N.
01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
I've found that many people who're into bikes are also into:
1. Guns
2. Music
3. History
4. Travel
5. Beer & Spirits

malcolm
01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
1. Guns
2. Music
3. History
4. Travel
5. Beer & Spirits

6. Watches

I think for people that enjoy the beautiful and useful mechanical simplicity of bikes see it in other things as well.

yngpunk
01-23-2015, 09:54 AM
It's true! I often go here for stuff totally unrelated to cycling. I think I'm going to start looking for a Rem 870. Once I find something, perhaps I'll resurrect this thread with a photo or two. :banana:

Curious here...Remington shows various models of the 870, ranging from $400 MSRP to over $1000...are the main differences just in the wood stock (vs plastic) and gold etching and comes down to aesthetics?

dave thompson
01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
1. Guns
2. Music
3. History
4. Travel
5. Beer & Spirits

7. Tequila it's a standalone product.

Ken Robb
01-23-2015, 10:20 AM
7. Tequila it's a standalone product.

It may stand alone when you can't. :)

parris
01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Yngpunk the main difference in the 870 lineup is between the Express line and the Wingmaster line. They also have their tactical as well as law enforcement lines. The general break down is the Express is their economy 870 with not as much final finish work done. These guns also have some lower cost parts on the inside. The Wingmaster guns are the models with much better finishing and options. The Tactical line has features that lend themselves to a sd application. The law enforcement line has better internal parts than any of the other lines and each gun goes through a pretty extensive qc process. There's also one line that you could go with if you're feeling flush and that would be to order up a model from the Custom Shop. I hope this helps.

Dead Man
01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
For every shotgun question, Benelli M4 is the answer. :p

choke
01-23-2015, 11:33 AM
For every shotgun question, Benelli M4 is the answer. :pDoes that come with a hacksaw so you can get rid of that stupid pistol grip? ;)

Dead Man
01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Does that come with a hacksaw so you can get rid of that stupid pistol grip? ;)

You CAN get them with non-protruding grip stocks

Fatty
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
If you are not going after birds just go with a rifled barrel 870.

Me anything over 50 yards I would want a scope.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-deer.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/scope-mounts-and-rails/shotgun-scope-mounts.aspx

Clydesdale
01-23-2015, 01:21 PM
I put a ton of shells through an old 870 and never had an issue. You couldn't really go wrong there but for the money it might be worth a look at the Benelli nova with a slug barrel. Not very attractive, but simple, rugged, and dependable. The kind of gun you can drag through the muck and not feel bad about.

Ozz
01-23-2015, 07:14 PM
I've had a browning auto-5 made in Belgium for literally my entire life (purchased for me before I was born - yes, I'm originally from the woods). It always worked well for 39 years so if you see a used one you might think of that. If you do want to spend more the suggestion of a binelli is a good one - my father has one and absolutely loves it and he's about as hard core a hunter as there is. Like with bikes, if you take care of a nice shotgun it will outlast you.

My dad used a Browning Auto 5 when we duck hunted together...he also has his fathers, and his grandfathers Remington Model 11's from the 1920-30's which are essentially the same gun as the Browning.

I had a Remington 870 (rec'd when I was 13).

Cheers

parris
01-23-2015, 09:17 PM
^Since you mention the Auto5 and 11 today would've been John M. Brownings b-day. He had 128 patents and many of his designs are still produced today. The Winchester model 78, 92, 94, possibly 86. Ithaca 37 which was originally the Remington 17. Browning High power, Superposed, Auto5. 1911 pistol, M2 machinegun. I'm sure there are others but this what I can remember as bieng built now.

oldpotatoe
01-24-2015, 05:58 AM
1. Guns
2. Music
3. History
4. Travel
5. Beer & Spirits

6.Dogs(not me tho)

alancw3
01-24-2015, 08:42 AM
^Since you mention the Auto5 and 11 today would've been John M. Brownings b-day. He had 128 patents and many of his designs are still produced today. The Winchester model 78, 92, 94, possibly 86. Ithaca 37 which was originally the Remington 17. Browning High power, Superposed, Auto5. 1911 pistol, M2 machinegun. I'm sure there are others but this what I can remember as bieng built now.

correct me if i am wrong but wasn't his most famous gun design the colt .45 automatic? still a very popular gun today by many manufacturers.

Dead Man
01-24-2015, 08:48 AM
correct me if i am wrong but wasn't his most famous gun design the colt .45 automatic? still a very popular gun today by many manufacturers.

That's the "1911" listed in his post - and yea, they're legendary. Unfortunately, that also means they're very popular, and frequently poorly copied, so there's a lot of crappy examples out there..

aach
01-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Winchester model 12 manufactured before y date
classic

Jeff N.
01-24-2015, 10:44 AM
6.Dogs(not me tho)I'm definitely not a dog person either. The other day while on a ride around Lake Murray I saw this guy, walking his Doberman, with a tattoo on his right shoulder of his dog's head. I'm thinkin', "C'mon, guy...". -Jeff N.

parris
01-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Alan I think it's really tough to say exactly which one of the designs is the most famous. Pistol shooters will point to the 1911. When it gets to shotguns and rifles things get murky very quickly due to a number of really outstanding models.

B is correct in that there are ton of manufacturers for the 1911 and some of them are sketchy. Fortunately there are manufacturers as well as custom houses that turn out fantastic examples of the design in calibers from .22 on up.

dave thompson
01-24-2015, 04:27 PM
IMO Browning's most famous, most prolific weapon was his Browning .50 cal machine gun and all its permutations.

If you're interested, John M Browning, America's Gunmaker is an excellent read that gives a good insight into his native mechanical genius and how he came to invent so many things that we take for granted in today's firearms. His prototypes were usually crude but were proofs of concepts, like how he used a board and lever action rifle to prove that a gas-operated self loading machine gun was possible.

Frankwurst
01-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Remington 870. :beer:

Ozz
01-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I have a Browning Semi Auto 22 you can also add to your list...fun gun but you can really blow thru your ammo quickly.:cool:

I still have a burn scar on my stomach where the downward ejected cartridge bounced down my shirt (shooting in prone position)....ouch.

Charles M
01-24-2015, 08:13 PM

dekindy
01-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Browning Hi Power is definitely a classic.