PDA

View Full Version : OT: I have a bit of a VW GTI itch = reliability question

eddief
01-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Not sure my butt will fit in those bolstered seats, but I like the idea a decent speed, handling, utilitarian space. I'd probably be more attracted to a Mazda3 hatch, but something about the curvy closed-in interior causes pause.

I know there are many variables when considering a car purchase, but the one that I may be overly concerned about is reliability. Such great experiences with my Japan cars.

Can those of you with VW Golf / GTI / Jetta, etc experience in the last 5 years speak to whether or not you'd buy another based on reliability as a major criterion?

Louis
01-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I'd get a Subaru WRX:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2008-subaru-wrx-sti-wrc-rally-car_100190433_m.jpg

Limonade
01-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I begrudgingly just sold off my 2007 GTI with about 110k miles last week (but I just don't need a car living in NYC now)

It had been great the whole time, no real issues to speak of. Clutch went around 100k which is standard, and timing belt was coming up in the next 10k per the standard timeline, but other than those two major milestones I had 0 issues really.
One summer the AC didn't seem to be working properly, and I took it in to the dealer to investigate. Was ready to pony up the $125 or whatever labor it was going to take to get in their and investigate, but it turns out there was a recall on one of the parts. the whole AC repair (including initial $125 tear down labor) was free of charge, but still kind of annoyed they were going to charge that before checking whether there were any factory recall issues. but that might have been more of a dealer specific issue.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. It would be my first choice when I leave the city (that or the new R). Looks great with a roofrack too! haha...

I will say, those bolstered seats arent for everyone, and some of my passengers 'complained' about a bit of a stiff ride, but i was always a driver...so who knows...

Not sure my butt will fit in those bolstered seats. I know there are many variables when considering a car purchase, but the one that I may be overly concerned about is reliability. Such great experiences with my Japan cars.

Can those of you with VW Golf / GTI / Jetta, etc experience in the last 5 years speak to whether or not you'd buy another based on reliability as a major criterion?

bcroslin
01-20-2015, 07:13 PM
2010 VW Sportwagen TDI with no issues. I have the same itch you have but I'm resisting the urge. We will likely buy a Tiguan TDI when they're release state side this year or next.

parallelfish
01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
2011 Golf TDI - no issues. Really an enjoyable vehicle.

fogrider
01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Not sure my butt will fit in those bolstered seats, but I like the idea a decent speed, handling, utilitarian space. I'd probably be more attracted to a Mazda3 hatch, but something about the curvy closed-in interior causes pause.

I know there are many variables when considering a car purchase, but the one that I may be overly concerned about is reliability. Such great experiences with my Japan cars.

I've been without my V6 jetta for about 2 years and really miss it. I put a lot of miles on it and it was reliable. I work right next to my mechanic and it was serviced regularly. there were small issues that all old cars had and I stayed on top of it. I'm considering getting a GTI in few years.

thirdgenbird
01-20-2015, 07:48 PM
2014 jsw

I haven't owned it long enough to talk about reliability, but I love the car. The interior, design, and driving dynamics will probably be worth a few more repair bills.

FlashUNC
01-20-2015, 07:54 PM
2010 GTI (MkVI). Purchased new. A couple very minor problems that were handled under warranty that wouldn't be out of place with any other manufacturer. Its been fine otherwise. Drove cross country with zero issues during our move earlier this year.

I've been very happy with it so far. Great room to haul stuff, really spacious backseat for the size (I have a two door), and goes like stink when you need it to.

I have a soft spot for hot hatches and while this isn't the most powerful out there, I think its really easy to live with day-in/day-out.

rccardr
01-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Had mine for a almost six years, best engineered car I've ever owned. This one is an Autobahn model, so leather, sunroof, Monsoon (with an aftermarket aux input to replace the Fatbox). A 5 speed.

Sold an AMG C55 to buy it. Second Mark IV I've owned, first one was a very fast but overly thirsty R32.

This one has everything I need and nothing I don't. Quick and fast, cruises all day at 85mph, gets up to 30mpg on the highway, carries two bikes with the back seats down. Still looks pretty much like new at 65K miles. No problems.

texbike
01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
My brother has a 2010 or 2011 with the 2.0T that he bought new. It's his daily driver and has around 70K on it. It hasn't had any issues other than an ECU that had to be replaced due to a tuning shop failing to properly seal the box that it was contained in on the car after a reflash. A trip to the car wash filled the box with water and destroyed the ECU. Fortunately the shop paid to have it replaced. It's FAST with the ECU reflash and gives 30 mpg on the highway.

Texbike

p nut
01-20-2015, 09:39 PM
I've always liked those GTI's. Though if I were to get one today, it would probably be the Golf R. Almost 300hp, AWD, and 8:11 around the Ring.

http://www.autofocus.ca/media/kmqte278tcwzpr/atom_featured/Golf-R-9.jpg?t=b85352a9a4ca4bfe1a54e94cbf81b66b

eddief
01-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I am not a racer and have zero need for big horsepower or AWD or the best track times. Just get me there with some fun, handling, comfort, utility, reliability.

I've always liked those GTI's. Though if I were to get one today, it would probably be the Golf R. Almost 300hp, AWD, and 8:11 around the Ring.

http://www.autofocus.ca/media/kmqte278tcwzpr/atom_featured/Golf-R-9.jpg?t=b85352a9a4ca4bfe1a54e94cbf81b66b

thirdgenbird
01-20-2015, 09:54 PM
I am not a racer and have zero need for big horsepower or AWD or the best track times. Just get me there with some fun, handling, comfort, utility, reliability.

You might not even need a gti for that. I'm plenty happy with my 2.5 gas sportwagen. I would drive a golf before you decide on a gti.

Louis
01-20-2015, 10:16 PM
I see Volvo has discontinued the C30. That would have been another one to consider, if you didn't need doors in back.

John H.
01-20-2015, 10:57 PM
I have a 2014 GTI- haven't had it long enough to test long term reliability, but so far it has been rock solid.
I have to say that I like almost everything about it.
I suggest buying new. When I was researching I found that low mileage used GTI's were barely cheaper than new ones.
Do one of those price quote checks from dealers in your area to find best price.
Then make a local dealer sell it to you at that price.

saab2000
01-20-2015, 11:32 PM
2006 GTI bought right off the lot. I maintain it according to the factory schedule and it mostly lives indoors. In other words, I baby it. I don't like my cars to live in the rain and sunshine.

They get an opportunity to really be dry and I personally think this matters.

I've only had a couple issues that come to mind. One was an airbag sensor in the passenger seat. This was replaced under warranty. The airbag light came on and wouldn't go off for that seat. Not sure what happened but I brought it in and later that day it was fixed for no charge.

Another time I got the Check Engine light. I was worried but it was a gas cap issue. I had to pay for that one and I wasn't happy but in the end it wasn't that horrible.

Overall it's been a "Very Good" car.

Fuel economy is OK. I get 30-32 with conservative highway driving. Mixed driving is 25. I'm a conservative driver. I don't even come close to the capabilities of my GTI but I'm glad to have them when I want them. A friend who had the AWD R36 got like 18 MPG. He drove it (very) hard but be warned - it's not an econobox if you drive it like a race car.

Utility is excellent. Space in the rear of the car is like a tent in the Harry Potter books. In other words, way bigger than you think.

Seats are excellent. Hours behind the wheel are not fatiguing.

Ride is good. A bit harsh at times but mostly it's a good balance.

I'd buy another but I'm not in the market. It's the only car I've ever bought new. I'd give it a 9/10 but I do take care of my vehicles. Garages are big for me as is cleanliness. Regular maintenance and common sense have worked for me.

One thing I wish were different - I wish I had gotten the 4-door. The 2-door has huge doors and the 4-door has better back seat access and no loss of utility.

And if you live in a snowy climate get winter tires. it's nearly undrivable in the snow without them.

p nut
01-21-2015, 12:00 AM

Why get a GTI, then? You may be better served with a Golf instead--better MPG, cheaper price. No turbo, so less maintenance (better reliability?).

thirdgenbird
01-21-2015, 12:16 AM
Why get a GTI, then? You may be better served with a Golf instead--better MPG, cheaper price. No turbo, so less maintenance (better reliability?).

I agree with the golf, but the base model is now a 1.8 turbo. It's basically a modified version of the 2.0t in the gti. I hear it's a great engine package. The NA 2.5 5cyl is gone. If you are looking at used cars, low milage 2.5 cars are cheap. Fuel milage isn't great, but that engine was a workhorse for VW for years.

p nut
01-21-2015, 12:50 AM
I agree with the golf, but the base model is now a 1.8 turbo. It's basically a modified version of the 2.0t in the gti. I hear it's a great engine package. The NA 2.5 5cyl is gone. If you are looking at used cars, low milage 2.5 cars are cheap. Fuel milage isn't great, but that engine was a workhorse for VW for years.

Ah, I see that now. 37MPG from that engine is awesome, though. 170hp/200ft/lb. Should be a fun car.

Jellybird3
01-21-2015, 01:05 AM
Well I guess I'm the only one with a so-so review. I have a 2011 GTI and at just 45k miles or so, my engine had some serious carbon build-up. My mechanic said that some cars, including the 2L Audis, have the issue and others just don't. How one drives definitely contributes. Unfortunately, it's almost $1k to fix every time.

SpeedyChix
01-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Original owner of a stock 2004 R32 here. It's been an outstanding vehicle and I'd buy it again. Keep it well maintained and garaged (similar in it's care as Saab2000 in that regard). Haven't hammered or abused it and it's returned the favor to me in many pleasurable driving miles. Contemplating selling it only because it gets driven so little these days and seems silly to let it sit. The new version is a 4-door(rather than the 2-door mine is) which I'd like.

eddief
01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
2011 with 49K miles. Shows the Carfax and at the 50K service a lot of expensive stuff was replaced. Made me wonder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/111BeG4O1p-DnVDjXhLlpJavaW0TLv6N3u5rHksZNyfZ3r2mKizcPSikGqkmu sXwpwvELIhQ8Jha-PEhY/view

Maintenance inspection completed

50,000 mile service performed

Tire condition and pressure checked

Water pump replaced

Drive belt(s) replaced

Cooling system checked

Fuel injector(s) replaced

Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced

Intake manifold replaced

thirdgenbird
01-21-2015, 09:07 AM
timing belt service and carbon cleanup?

Jeff N.
01-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I've been told by more than a few reliable sources that I should stay clear of ALL European vehicles unless I have money to burn...which I do not.

GeorgeTSquirrel
01-21-2015, 09:19 AM
We've had two VWs in my family as well as an Audi... all have been lemons. I personally won't buy that brand.

I've been told by more than a few reliable sources that I should stay clear of ALL European vehicles unless I have money to burn...which I do not.

I think Volvo might be ok... and Renault has shared some platforms with Nissan in the past. It's hit and miss, I think, especially in light of partnerships with other car companies. I definitely avoid VW and BMW (great cars for the first 60k miles but not so much in their later years).

FlashUNC
01-21-2015, 09:25 AM
2011 with 49K miles. Shows the Carfax and at the 50K service a lot of expensive stuff was replaced. Made me wonder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/111BeG4O1p-DnVDjXhLlpJavaW0TLv6N3u5rHksZNyfZ3r2mKizcPSikGqkmu sXwpwvELIhQ8Jha-PEhY/view

Maintenance inspection completed

50,000 mile service performed

Tire condition and pressure checked

Water pump replaced

Drive belt(s) replaced

Cooling system checked

Fuel injector(s) replaced

Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced

Intake manifold replaced

The water pump is a known weak point for these models and the belt would be replaced when the pump was changed. My 2010 hasn't had an issue but I've read stories of others with problems. And the intake manifold is covered under an extended warranty.

Nothing super out of the ordinary with that list really.

accident
01-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Almost all direct injector motors have heavy carbon build-up around the 40-45k mark.

einreb
01-21-2015, 09:32 AM
2011 GTI 4 door, roughly 30k miles and no service required outside of regular maintenance.

The one thing that I'd do a little differently is swap out/avoid the super low profile tires.

Its all about the interlagos plaid seats!

-Bernie

oldpotatoe
01-21-2015, 09:40 AM
30k, great car. RH rear trunk strut just gave up but that's all. Fast, comfy(2 kiddie seats), 40mpg+.

Gsinill
01-21-2015, 09:43 AM
We've had two VWs in my family as well as an Audi... all have been lemons. I personally won't buy that brand.

Wow, that's quite a score, surprised they are still in business!

nmrt
01-21-2015, 09:53 AM
had a 2005 vw gti 1.8t. sold it at 100k miles. no unscheduled maintenance at all. i repeat, nothing out of pocket except a broken tail light. i attribute the stellarperformance of my car to two things:
1) regular oil changes at 5K
2) not driving short distances when the engine starts out cold and remains cold at the destination.

druptight
01-21-2015, 10:01 AM
I currently drive a 2010 JSW TDI that I've only had for about 10 months, but my last car that was my daily workhorse for 10 years was a 2004 Mazda 3. I have not a single bad word to say about the Mazda 3. I believe I was between 140 and 150k miles with no major issues.

Limonade
01-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Utility is excellent. Space in the rear of the car is like a tent in the Harry Potter books. In other words, way bigger than you think.

One thing I wish were different - I wish I had gotten the 4-door. The 2-door has huge doors and the 4-door has better back seat access and no loss of utility.

I agree with both these points. Great cargo space when you fold down the seats.

And i loved my 4 door. those doors on the 2door are giganto! and i loved being able to just open the back doors and throw my crap or beer or the back seat.

Ken Robb
01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
To state the obvious: Front doors on 4-door cars can be shorter than on the 2-door version because they don't have to allow access to the rear seat. This means that you can open the door wider angle-wise before the edge touches the car parked next to you so getting in/out is much easier. Where I live parking stalls have gotten very narrow so even when two cars are parked side-by-side within their respective lined spaces it can be impossible to get out of a coupe with longish doors. Even worse is coming back to your car and finding that you can't get back in. :)

uber
01-21-2015, 01:30 PM
I have had 2 GTI's got rid of my last one in 2011. No issues at all. Would buy another tomorrow. Seems to do everything right. I think a German car feels a bit different than a Japanese (or American) car. Not better, just different. If you like that flavor, you might not want to go back to a Japanese car. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PacNW2Ford
01-21-2015, 01:34 PM
I have a 4-door and completely agree with this. The only counterpoint is the 4-door Golf puts a ginormous B-pillar right in my field of vision when backing up. I think the two-doors are better in this regard, as the pillar is further back.

FlashUNC
01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Fwiw as someone who loves my GTI, if I were buying a hot hatch today it would totally be a Focus or Fiesta. To say I'm giddy over the impending Focus RS announcement would not be inaccurate.

geeter
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
I had an MKV (08). I had it APR stage 1 and loved it. Sold it after a few years and still miss it. Hot hatches are where its at.

saab2000
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
I have a 4-door and completely agree with this. The only counterpoint is the 4-door Golf puts a ginormous B-pillar right in my field of vision when backing up. I think the two-doors are better in this regard, as the pillar is further back.

The blind spot on the 2-door is equally bad. Just in a slightly different place.

staggerwing
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
I currently drive a 2010 JSW TDI that I've only had for about 10 months, but my last car that was my daily workhorse for 10 years was a 2004 Mazda 3. I have not a single bad word to say about the Mazda 3. I believe I was between 140 and 150k miles with no major issues.

We own both a 2005 Mazda 3, with an unusually low 65K miles, and a 2013 JSW TDI. Both purchased new.

While my Mazda 3 has been completely reliable, quality of the interior appointments, refinement, and feeling of solidity, are at least a level or two below the JSW. Within the past two years, my 3 has developed considerable rust bubbling around both rear wheel arches, and under matte black finish of the window surrounds on the rear door frames. Despite the low miles, the 3 did require front and rear shocks, as well as front rod ends, within the past 18 months.

Time will tell on the JSW, but a 11 year ownership experience with a 94 Passat suggests VW paint, body, and interior integrity to be excellent, while cost and frequency of repairs to perhaps be a little higher than that of similar class Japanese vehicles. In my experience, VW electrical systems, both engine and accessory, are 1-2 levels below typical Honda, Toyota, and Mazda stuff. My Passat needed an expensive coil pack, and motorized seat belt assembly, as well as several interior switches.

FWIW, I found both my retired Passat and current JSW to be exceedingly comfortable for multi-hour excursions. In contrast, both a retired 2000 Sienna, and my present Mazda3, to be uncomfortable over 4 hours in the saddle.

I have been more emotionally connected to the VW products that I've owned, but it is hard to beat the overall low cost of ownership of my Honda, Toyota and Mazda examples.

Lay your money down, and take your chances.

Nooch
01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Scratch the itch.

But, this comes from a guy with three VW related tattoos who drives a '99 Honda CR-V.

JasonF
01-21-2015, 03:05 PM
I own a 2013 Audi S4 which shares the same DSG gearbox as the new GTI.

The DSG has had mixed reliability, needs a special service @ 35k miles (mine goes in tomorrow) and I would consider getting an extended warranty that covers this transmission when the factory warranty expires.

saab2000
01-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Mine is a 6-speed manual.

azrider
01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Scratch the itch.

But, this comes from a guy with three VW related tattoos who drives a '99 Honda CR-V.

HA +10 ! this made me chuckle

to the OP, I was in the SAME exact spot you were. Very loyal to Honda and when my Accord hit 220K I stupidly :crap: got talked into needing to buy a new car that was more 'reliable'. Again.....still pissed about it.:mad:

Anyway, had an itch for a VW wagon and my sister's boyfriend (vw certified mechanic) drives a Toyota and begged me not to get one. When I told him what I wanted: fun to drive, good looking, sporty, utility (wagon).....he directed me toward used Lexus IS300 Sportcross. Only 3000 of them were made but if you can get your hands on a good used one they're GREAT, fun little cars.

I found one and have already put about 1000 miles on it and I could not be happier. Check

jghall
01-21-2015, 04:34 PM
In my experience, though a Passat and not a GTI(longing for a R32), I think that Stagg sums it up pretty well. There is an emotional/fun connection to owing/driving a VW. Generally speaking though, their reliability is a few notches down from the Japanese brethern.

he directed me toward used Lexus IS300 Sportcross. Only 3000 of them were made but if you can get your hands on a good used one they're GREAT, fun little cars.

Not to highjack the thread, but one of my all-time favorite cars.

seanile
01-21-2015, 06:46 PM
where do yall buy your used car lexusesse, vdubs, fjords, etc?
i hope it isnt craigslist...
and i find used car dealers to be rather sketch these days...

thirdgenbird
01-21-2015, 08:14 PM
My VW was bought certified used from a VW dealer.

If you know someone with vagcom, you can get a crazy amount of history on the car. It data logs the milage, date and time anything happens. Check engine light, codes, airbags, seatbelt sensors. the only thing that showed on my car was the date and time the cargo light burnt out.

staggerwing
01-21-2015, 08:33 PM

Well, I recently purchased a 2006 S2000 via Craigslist, from 260 miles away, and without even a mechanic pre-purchase.

Suppose, a leap of faith, but it was one-owner, and very clearly babied, by a couple in their mid-50's. Car only had 25k on the odometer and nary a spec anywhere. In fact, 100% factory stock, down to the Honda tagged replacement battery direct from the dealer. Guy clenched hard.

If I was trying to bag a used GTI, I would sit tight and wait for a one-owner, low mileage, full maintenance record example. Hopefully from an adult owner.

Best time to find one is when you don't have to have one.

eddief
01-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I understand the attraction of European cars. I have also been reading that Golfs are quieter inside than Mazda3 and I like solid and quiet. Seems like we have some consensus, even if you've had a good VW experience, that overall their reliability is known to be less than many/most things from further East.

Maybe it depends on the quality of the weed smoked in Mexico on the day your car is built.

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2015, 09:27 PM
. . . 300hp, all-wheel drive. It's gonna be a beast. I love my 2007 Speed3.

BBD

azrider
01-21-2015, 09:40 PM

So you only buy new cars??

Since i've been driving the same car for twelve years and got 225K out of it I've done a little more homework/research than I'd like to admit so I had a shortlist of cars that if one popped up in the 'right' condition i'd buy it.

A 2003 Sportx showed up on cars.com with 70K miles and very workable price. I exchanged over 50 emails with the owner; a software Engineer in his late 50's who used it for his 8mile work commute. Had the car serviced at Lexus for every single oil, and mileage recommendation checkup with results and receipts for each servicing. I paid for him to go to a local AAA autoclub to get it checked out and when it got "straight A's" so to speak I jumped on it.

The Sportcross is very hard to find, but it's equipped with Lexus most reliable (and Edmunds listed it as the #2 most reliable) inline 6 ever made, the 2JZge. Same engine in Supra and same engine in multiple other Toyotas. Very popular among the "mod" sect. Granted I'm not going to be doing any modifications but nice to know the market is flooded with extra parts which drives cost down if i need to replace something. Knock on wood.

You're right there are some people that sell junk and scam people wether on Craigslist, Ebay, or even here........and sometimes you just get lucky and find a good deal.

Couldn't be happier.

Ken Robb
01-21-2015, 09:49 PM
tomorrow I'm taking our 2014 Mazda 3 sedan for its first service at 7100 miles. So far it has been perfect. The sedan is a bit quieter than the hatchback. It drives rather like a BMW with crisp handling and a firm ride. Overall MPG 30. New 2.5 liter engine develops max torque at 3200 rpm so it never feels strained and the 6 speed automatic works so well I don't miss a manual.

thirdgenbird
01-21-2015, 10:06 PM
So you only buy new cars??

Since i've been driving the same car for twelve years and got 225K out of it I've done a little more homework/research than I'd like to admit so I had a shortlist of cars that if one popped up in the 'right' condition i'd buy it.

A 2003 Sportx showed up on cars.com with 70K miles and very workable price. I exchanged over 50 emails with the owner; a software Engineer in his late 50's who used it for his 8mile work commute. Had the car serviced at Lexus for every single oil, and mileage recommendation checkup with results and receipts for each servicing. I paid for him to go to a local AAA autoclub to get it checked out and when it got "straight A's" so to speak I jumped on it.

The Sportcross is very hard to find, but it's equipped with Lexus most reliable (and Edmunds listed it as the #2 most reliable) inline 6 ever made, the 2JZge. Same engine in Supra and same engine in multiple other Toyotas. Very popular among the "mod" sect. Granted I'm not going to be doing any modifications but nice to know the market is flooded with extra parts which drives cost down if i need to replace something. Knock on wood.

You're right there are some people that sell junk and scam people wether on Craigslist, Ebay, or even here........and sometimes you just get lucky and find a good deal.

Couldn't be happier.

I'm not a a Lexus guy and find Toyotas after the early 90s boring, but I have serious sportcross lust. I would even settle for a clean is300. Toyota really knocked it out of the park on that one.

FlashUNC
01-21-2015, 10:18 PM
I understand the attraction of European cars. I have also been reading that Golfs are quieter inside than Mazda3 and I like solid and quiet. Seems like we have some consensus, even if you've had a good VW experience, that overall their reliability is known to be less than many/most things from further East.

Maybe it depends on the quality of the weed smoked in Mexico on the day your car is built.

GTIs, until the most recent model year, were built in Wolfsburg.

The newest generation, the MkVIIs, are built in Mexico for the US market.

So if you get a prior gen, it'll be a Wolfsburg car.

seanile
01-21-2015, 10:27 PM
So you only buy new cars??nah, ive had an 05 ford escape since 2007 (my first one) that i got at a chevy dealership (didn't specialize in only used cars, which is what i meant w/ my comment), and have put 110,000 miles on it, so im at 165000. it's on its 3rd transmission (1 was warrantied), and it's got some interesting rev cycles and occasionally stalls when i turn the wheel really hard while im not moving. soooo i asked the question to see where, other than clist and autotrader (scam central, at least with motorcycles), i can look for a new-ish whip when this thing ····s the bed. i appreciate the detailed response, guess ill give cars.com a chance when the time comes.

GeorgeTSquirrel
01-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Wow, that's quite a score, surprised they are still in business!

A dozen electronic problems and two blown engines... my personal track record VW/Audi products is not inspiring.

staggerwing
01-22-2015, 05:31 AM

BBD

Ahhh, it's always next year, isn't it. :rolleyes:

They were supposed to bring their diesel to our shores too, but it been repeatably pushed back. The book answer is "having trouble meeting emission standards," while some suggest there are significant reliability issues.

DHallerman
01-22-2015, 07:29 AM

Why a GTI over the Golf?

Better handling, for one.

Even more comfortable seats, for another.

Dave, who owns a four-door 2011 GTI that he loves for its handling and its comfort and its practicality and for its Dynaudio music system (do you know how rare it is for an automobile to have a music system from a true high-end audio company?)

P.S. But the TDI (diesel) Golf is also an amazing car. We have a JSW TDI, and have been delighted by that too. Plus, when we want to carry either two bikes or two dogs that's a more practical beast.

yngpunk
01-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Why a GTI over the Golf?

Dave, who owns a four-door 2011 GTI that he loves for its handling and its comfort and its practicality and for its Dynaudio music system (do you know how rare it is for an automobile to have a music system from a true high-end audio company?)

P.S. But the TDI (diesel) Golf is also an amazing car. We have a JSW TDI, and have been delighted by that too. Plus, when we want to carry either two bikes or two dogs that's a more practical beast.

You can "easily" modify the Golf for better handling through after-market (or even VW) shocks/struts and springs, sway bar, 18" wheels, seats are swappable as well, and then tune the ECM, but after all that, might as just buy the GTI outright, unless you want a diesel...

DHallerman
01-22-2015, 09:19 AM
You can "easily" modify the Golf for better handling through after-market (or even VW) shocks/struts and springs, sway bar, 18" wheels, seats are swappable as well, and then tune the ECM, but after all that, might as just buy the GTI outright, unless you want a diesel...

Which is why some of us are looking forward to the day that VW of America imports the GTD, the diesel version of the GTI.

If they ever do...

Dave, who says that VW of A doesn't always seem to get the US market and their company's somewhat unique place in that market today

P.S. I'm really yearning for the diesel-hybrid VW Golf-GTI style hatchback that would get the equivalent of 90 to 100 mpg.

malcolm
01-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Most car dealers are sketchy, new or used.

I've bought several used cars in the past couple years from one of the multi lot, multi state used car superstores. You won't get the deal of the century, but you'll get the initial depreciation and maybe a little more depending on the make and model especially around the two year mark.

I usually wind up buying a car every year or so between the three we always have on hand, wife, me and family. I almost never buy new.

yngpunk
01-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Which is why some of us are looking forward to the day that VW of America imports the GTD, the diesel version of the GTI.

If they ever do...

Dave, who says that VW of A doesn't always seem to get the US market and their company's somewhat unique place in that market today

P.S. I'm really yearning for the diesel-hybrid VW Golf-GTI style hatchback that would get the equivalent of 90 to 100 mpg.

The mythical GTD in the US...seems like there are rumors every year that VWoA will start importing them "next" year...which is partly why I drive a Golf TDI modded to look like a GTI...

eddief
01-22-2015, 09:33 AM
How has the reliability been?

Why a GTI over the Golf?

DHallerman
01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
How has the [GTI] reliability been?

I've been very happy with it, although low mileage for its age.

The only thing it's needed besides normal maintenance was some electric defect that showed a problem on the dash that didn't exist. But my dealer, where I go for service since they're really good, fixed it for free even though it was no longer under warranty.

p nut
01-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Why a GTI over the Golf?

Not sure I agree with the suspension and seats making the GTI a better value for the OP. That's a $5k or 25% premium.

denapista
01-22-2015, 12:38 PM
I owned 2 GTI's MK4's though.. I have a B7 Audi A4 avant and it's in the nightmare stages right now 130,000mi. Burning oil like every 2,000 miles, vacuum pump going out, PCV Valve failure for the 2nd time in two years and my torque converter is acting up. I've been slowly fixing it up to trade it in. Paid my last car note two days ago and now it's worth $4500 trade in value. I really want a TDI golf 4 door for road trips, or a Sportwagen TDI for the same reason.

If you go TDI with the Golf, you're easily buying a car that will reach 200,000 miles of 35-40mpg driving. That's insane! The window motors were always an issue with VW, but other than small minor things, these cars are bulletproof.

The MK7 Golf R makes no sense to me. If it's released and sold for $40k, used E90 M3 Sedans are going for $34,000 used. Folding rear seats and M3 V8 engineering. I'll take that over a $40,000 GTI.

shovelhd
01-22-2015, 01:30 PM
You might want to do a little research about the CRTDI before you call them bulletproof. I own one, but I am taking an informed risk. There are three main issues:

High pressure fuel pump failures leave you stranded. VW generally covers this past warranty in the USA but not in Canada. The pumps have been continually refined over time but they still fail.

Inter cooler icing causes hard starting, stalling, and can cause hydro lock which bends rods and lunches the motor. Outside of warranty coverage varies. I have experienced this exactly once in 19k miles. I now use a lower grille block in cold weather which helps. The 2015 Golfs use a water air inter cooler which eliminated the problem.

The Diesel Particulate Filter has a finite life of somewhere between 100k-200k miles for the average driver. It cannot be cleaned like a truck DPF. Outside of warranty coverage varies. About $2500 to replace.

palincss
01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

BBD

Do you think there's any way you're going to be able to get a bike inside that thing?

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Do you think there's any way you're going to be able to get a bike inside that thing?

. . . if I take front wheels off, stack them sideways, and put old blankets between them. A single bike is no problem at all.

My girlfriend just got this new body Mazda 3 a few months ago and we have easily gotten 2 in there, once again removing the front wheels and tacking them sideways with blankets in between.

BBD

saab2000
01-22-2015, 03:47 PM
I can easily get a bike into my GTI with just the front wheel removed. And there's tons of room for everything else like a pump and helmet and shoes and bottles and all the other stuff we need for bike rides.

A VW hatchback is a superb car for the cyclist.

DHallerman
01-23-2015, 08:29 AM
I can easily get a bike into my GTI with just the front wheel removed. And there's tons of room for everything else like a pump and helmet and shoes and bottles and all the other stuff we need for bike rides.

A VW hatchback is a superb car for the cyclist.

Heck, with the rear seats down, I get a bike into my GTI with the front wheel still on (and they're not small bikes, 56cm).

I agree that VW hatchbacks -- or possibly most hatchbacks -- are great for cyclists.

staggerwing
01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
I agree that VW hatchbacks -- or possibly most hatchbacks -- are great for cyclists.

Never did understand the antipathy of American buyers towards the hatchback. Suv and mini-suvs, sure bring them on, but hatchbacks or small wagons, no way. Its like they don't want to be seen in something vaguely reminiscent of an AMC Gremlin?

For makers like VW and Mazda, that have similar platforms available in both sedan and hatch forms--Jetta/Golf and 3Sedan/3Hatch--sales of the sedan variant obliterate those of the hatch. Just found some 2014 numbers for VW, and the ratio is around 3.5:1. In some months, even the New Beetle sales exceeded Golf sales.

Just seems like such a useful layout.

Ken Robb
01-23-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: sedans vs. hatchbacks. Some buyers prefer sedans because they usually have a bit less road noise getting into the cabin. Sedans also often have fold-down rear seats so the difference in carrying capacity isn't as big as one might think. We bought a 2014 Mazda 3 sedan and saved $500 MSRP over the similar hatchback.

I took it to John Hine Mazda yesterday for its routine first service at 7100 miles.This car has been PERFECT! Not a squeak or a rattle, used no oil, 30 MPG in urban driving on regular gas. I made an appointment the day before, they were ready when I arrived, new synthetic oil and filter, tire rotation, checked alignment and everything else including brake pad wear, tire wear, belts, etc. I got a detailed written report on the results and the service advisor went over the whole thing with me and reminded me they would be happy to check my nitrogen-filled tires and wash my car free every month.

I was in/out in about an hour. I have never had a better experience at any dealer including several BMW places.

Leslie typically drives the Mazda while I use our MINI Cooper S hatchback/2-door sedan.

SpeedyChix
01-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I just don't get that sedan love (concede on cabin noise possibly being less in a sedan). A hatchback is so versatile, put the rear seats down and you can get the bike in. I once needed to transport two bikes, a additional set of wheels, gear and food for a week and a herman miller plywood lounge chair. Still had room for a passenger in the front. It was an easy load.

bargainguy
01-23-2015, 10:51 AM
I'm not a sedan guy, but I have a friend who carries around a boatload of stuff in his trunk and wants to keep it hidden from view. Kind of a rolling office. I think that's why sedans are popular in the states, we have more junk to carry around.

FlashUNC
01-23-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm not a sedan guy, but I have a friend who carries around a boatload of stuff in his trunk and wants to keep it hidden from view. Kind of a rolling office. I think that's why sedans are popular in the states, we have more junk to carry around.

The package shelf in my GTI hides everything in the rear trunk space just fine. And when I need more space, I fold the seats down and I get acres of room. Which, if I'm folding the seats down, its usually to haul stuff and I'm not leaving the car unattended for a long period of time.

p nut
01-23-2015, 11:13 AM
The package shelf in my GTI hides everything in the rear trunk space just fine. And when I need more space, I fold the seats down and I get acres of room. Which, if I'm folding the seats down, its usually to haul stuff and I'm not leaving the car unattended for a long period of time.

Same here. Even a blanket thrown on top hides it just fine. Couple that with dark tint, and I don't see that being an issue at all.

eddief
01-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Wow. Way different than my primo 2004 Rav4. Duh.

I have nothing upon which to make comparisons, but the GTI did seem like a grown up car. Interior all premium, no crap. My butt fit ok in the plaid cloth seats. Seemed like a bit of turbo lag when taking off from a stop, but on the freeway we were going fast and smooth and quiet. Took some crap city streets and the "vertical compliance" was as on my ti bike = quite good.

Also test drove a couple year old DSG TDI. Pretty good, but the 2015 interior is just so well done I'd be hard pressed to get something lesser. TDI drove well, but unsure about the whole concept after 64 years of gas.

Need to ask my mom if it's ok to spend $30K.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 06:40 AM
Wow. Way different than my primo 2004 Rav4. Duh.

I have nothing upon which to make comparisons, but the GTI did seem like a grown up car. Interior all premium, no crap. My butt fit ok in the plaid cloth seats. Seemed like a bit of turbo lag when taking off from a stop, but on the freeway we were going fast and smooth and quiet. Took some crap city streets and the "vertical compliance" was as on my ti bike = quite good.

Also test drove a couple year old DSG TDI. Pretty good, but the 2015 interior is just so well done I'd be hard pressed to get something lesser. TDI drove well, but unsure about the whole concept after 100 years of gas.

Need to ask my mom if it's ok to spend $30K.

Why, is it her $?

eddief
01-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Is actually no longer with us in real life, but she has a tendency to speak from the grave...especially about spending money on things her son does not need. She still does it for bikes too, but she has not let me have a new car in many years :).

And since I don't have a wife to deal with, I get to hassle with my mom.

Why, is it her $?

oldpotatoe
01-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Is actually no longer with us in real life, but she has a tendency to speak from the grave...especially about spending money on things her son does not need. She still does it for bikes too, but she has not let me have a new car in many years :).

Apologies, didn't know.

Miller76
01-25-2015, 10:27 AM
I had a 25th anniversary GTi for five years whilst living in London. It was fast, fun and reliable. I don't recall it giving me any issues other than the odd speeding ticket. I'm moved to the states and my daily commute is an 84 mile round trip that includes about 75 miles on highways. Was convinced I needed AWD and settled with a boring 328i x-drive. Once the lease is finished I am going to buy either a TDi GTi or a regular GTi. Get the GTi!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

54ny77
01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
that really made me smile. thanks for that.

:)