PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this: eccentric bottom bracket

SoCalSteve
01-19-2015, 06:04 PM
These look really trick, but very pricy!!! (http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php)

Any thoughts on these or any other eccentric bottom brackets?

Opinions, links, thoughts and flames always welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Cicli
01-19-2015, 06:06 PM
That's prety cool.

I bet it works great.

Cat3roadracer
01-19-2015, 06:24 PM
I have an EBB on a SS cross bike and Paragon sliding drop outs on a mountain bike. If you are buying new I would lobby heavily toward the sliding drop outs. They stay exactly where you put them and are very nice looking.

The EBB does work, but the rear axel will tend to creep in the horizontal drop out. Whereas the sliding option has a stop, no movement.

Either way, single speeding is cool as hell. Be the envy of your friends.

thirdgenbird
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
That's prety cool.

I bet it works great.

I'm skeptical.

If im reading that right, it only has +/- 3mm of adjustment. That's less than half of an ENO eccentric hub. There just isn't enough room in a standard threaded bb shell.

Edit: if in thinking clearly, you need roughly half the chain pitch in adjustment. Chain pitch is 25.4 and the ENO gives you 15mm of total adjustment. This gives you more than enough room. The bb only gives you 6mm. With the offset link, it effectively reduces your pitch to 14.7mm. 6mm still may not be enough for some gear combos without compromising on your chain tension.

SoCalSteve
01-20-2015, 01:29 AM
So, I am turning a road bike into a single speed.

I believe there are 4 ways to do this.

1.) chain tensioner

2.) ENO eccentric hub

3.) eccentric bottom bracket

4.) sliding dropouts if you have a builder add it into a new build

If I already have the bike, the 4th option is out. Of the other 3, which is the best? Oh, so I already have a single speed wheel set, so probably number 2 is out as well.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

mccx
01-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Phil Wood makes one of these too – and the price looks similar.

I had one of these (different manufacturer) that I used for singlespeeding on a road bike with vertical dropouts. A bit fiddly to set up initially, but it worked well. I couldn't get proper chain tension in every possible chainring/cog combination. That's not a big deal, it just means doing some calculations, or using a half-link.

I know you said you already have a singlespeed wheelset, but if I were doing it again I think I'd go for the ENO eccentric wheel so I could use any crank I wanted (like a Campagnolo or Sugino square taper). Or, if I was certain I wanted a decided ss bike I'd get a framebuilder to change the dropouts change to track ends. The eccentric outboard bb is cheaper than either of those options though.

Bruce K
01-20-2015, 04:08 AM
I have the Phil Wood version in a custom built Zanconato SS cross bike with regular road dropouts

It works great and allows me to swap between 17, 18, or 19t rear cogs

BK

saab2000
01-20-2015, 04:16 AM

1.) chain tensioner

2.) ENO eccentric hub

If I already have the bike, the 4th option is out. Of the other 3, which is the best? Oh, so I already have a single speed wheel set, so probably number 2 is out as well.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Options 2 and 3 are the best if you ask me. I've had an ENO Eccentric hub and it was pretty nice. No issues but it does take a bit of fooling around to get the chain tension correct. But they're really nice. White Industries products are awesome.

My Hampsten single speed has single speed specific dropouts but I still use a White Industries hubset, but not I just use the ENO, not the eccentric one.

The BB would probably work but I can't speak to the chain pitch issues mentioned.

The chain tensioner is simple and would work but partly defeats the purpose of a SS bike. It adds a tiny bit of drag and complexity. Part of the joy of a SS bike is the simplicity and reduction in drivetrain drag, which is noticeable.

Keep in mind that a SS bike is best on flat or nearly flat rides. Hills are your downfall. Thankfully, I live where it's pancake flat so the bike is useful. Actually, I wish I lived where it's hilly or even mountainous but I don't for now.

A SS bike is fun but is best for solo rides, at least in my experience. I don't participate in races anymore. I would have raced mine in criteriums without hesitation.

alancw3
01-20-2015, 10:09 AM
if it were me i would sell the targeted frame and buy a track bike frame. another thing to consider, as i have had a track bike, is that with moving a rear wheel you have to reposition the rear brake shoes. one of the reasons why most track bikes historically have had only a front brake for road use. single speeds are fun and if you have the strength will be for you with simplicity. obviously i love track bikes. to me the purest form of biking. just imho,

oldpotatoe
01-20-2015, 10:28 AM

1.) chain tensioner

2.) ENO eccentric hub

Thanks in advance!

Steve

In terms of simplicity, rear brake adjust(may be an issue with ENO hub), cost, number 1. This works really well for about $25.

Much smaller in real life. How do you reduce the size?

Fatty
01-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Well if you already have a frame and wheelset why not throw said wheel in frame and see were you are at chain tension wise . You might just get lucky and be good to go.

SoCalSteve
01-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Well if you already have a frame and wheelset why not throw said wheel in frame and see were you are at chain tension wise . You might just get lucky and be good to go.

Wow! Never even thought of that ( always the over thinker ).

That would be amazing, elegant and cheap!!!

Thank you,

Steve

SoCalSteve
01-20-2015, 11:08 AM
In terms of simplicity, rear brake adjust(may be an issue with ENO hub), cost, number 1. This works really well for about $25.

Much smaller in real life. How do you reduce the size?

Peter,

Do you see any downside to using a tensioner?

Thanks!

Steve

crankles
01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Peter,

Do you see any downside to using a tensioner?

Thanks!

Steve

I've seen them implode at races. It seems to be the weekest link for a CX SS.
If your intended use is racing, stick with sliders, or a rocker style dropout if going disc.
I change gears often at races so the EBB option is a non-starter for me.

If it's more for commuting and general riding, I'd probably go with a tensioner.