PDA

View Full Version : Bianchi frame damage input

F150
01-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Work associate nailed a pipe bollard set in sleeve in concrete, centerline of MUT here in Nashville. Best "Sherlock" can make of things is that while in slight left hand turn, left knee strikes bollard slightly right of center. Impact tears skin, etc. while forcing leg toward top tube. Blemish below knee suggests that's what did the frame damage, not impact with bollard, and bruising 2 days later suggests a pretty good lick. Fork, wheels, etc. all unscathed.

Thoughts on frame? Done? Worth welding in a new top tube? I wouldn't ride it based on what I've seen in photos. Welcome your opinions!

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Frame is toast, not worth repairing, imo. Sadly.

hockeybike
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Uhh...gross.

Cicli
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Rub some dirt on the wound. The frame is trashed.

christian
01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Trash, alas.

GeorgeTSquirrel
01-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Uhh...gross.

That's pretty bad, coming from a hockey guy. LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of "ouch."

cdn_bacon
01-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Wall art.

Hope that heals well. Glad I finished my lunch before opening this thread.

John H.
01-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Sorry for your friend.
What does downtube look like? Any damage?

F150
01-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Haven't seen the bike firsthand, just the gore via cell phone pics. I'll suggest he take a very close look at the rest of the rig. Said he did but who knows...

pbarry
01-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Sorry for your bud's crash. Frame is done unless he knows a really good rig welder/fabricator.

Also, thiis thread header needs a serious GORE warning... :eek:

Chris
01-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Um...what's the white thing INSIDE the knee?

Louis
01-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Um...what's the white thing INSIDE the knee?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6072/6030232739_4cd8c15905.jpg

Peter P.
01-19-2015, 08:29 PM
If the frame rides straight while riding no-handed, it's fine. You can replace the top tube if you want to and yes; it's replaceable. Whether it's worth the cost is for you to decide.

The location of the dent is not a highly stressed area. I wouldn't anticipate a crack forming, causing catastrophic failure while you're riding.

I rode a frame for 3 years after I discovered cracks in three different locations. The cracks grew so slowly as to be almost a non-issue.

seanile
01-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Um...what's the white thing INSIDE the knee?likely the patella tendon

Louis
01-19-2015, 08:46 PM
This is a pic from a local trail I sometimes ride if I'm looking for a short, flat ride. In a few spots where gravel roads cross over the levee (the trail's on top of the levee) they have two of these posts to prevent motorized traffic from turning onto the trail. Every time I ride by I think of what might happen if I were shifted over a foot or so. It's sort of like the magnet that pulls you to the edge of a cliff...

Bonus image: view from the top of Half Dome taken a while back by a buddy of mine. That's his daughter looking over the edge.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/playspacefinder.kaboom.org/photos/photos/000/027/295/large/playgrounds%20for%20kaboom%20003.jpg?1378236308

abalone
01-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Put dirt in the wound?! Yeah, if you like getting massive infections.

That frame is not trash. This is a top tube dent and is most certainly replaceable.

christian
01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Abalone, this is a joke.
Mr. Joke, meet Abalone.

FlashUNC
01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Got down to the white meat. That's impressive.

Frame is toast.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2015, 10:22 AM

I donno, steel. If the frame is still straight and there are no cracks, it 'may' be alright. It can probably be replaced but with paint $, not worth it, IMHO. Cheaper to get a new frame. If ridden, watch for cracks.

I have a customer who garaged his Waterford and had a huge dent like this in the top of the top tube and rides it today.

FlashUNC
01-20-2015, 10:54 AM
I donno, steel. If the frame is still straight and there are no cracks, it 'may' be alright. It can probably be replaced but with paint $, not worth it, IMHO. Cheaper to get a new frame. If ridden, watch for cranks.

I have a customer who garaged his Waterford and had a huge dent like this in the top of the top tube and rides it today.

That's a Vigorelli. I thought they were all aluminum. I'd have a hard time riding a alu bike that's been that dented.

Pierre
01-20-2015, 11:02 AM
I would tend to agree that the frame is NOT toast. But, I'd suggest some rough strength testing to set your mind at ease. Maybe wrap some strong rope in a loop around that area of the frame and twist a long pole into the loop in a way that tightens the loop of rope tighter and tighter in and around the area where the dent is located. Make sure you don't see any flexing or cracking develop.

I might also be tempted to try to put the frame in a vice to see if the dent could be somewhat lessened. That would probably put some (minor) additional stress on the frame but you might find that the final product will be more acceptable for riding.

Won't look great though BUT you'll have a great conversation piece on your hands for group rides.

F150
01-20-2015, 10:40 PM
99% sure this is TIG welded chromoly, 631 perhaps. Composite fork (alloy steerer and crown with carbon blades, some kind of Kevlar insert for dampening). Bike shop provided repair cost very close to new MSRP on complete bike with 105...

Got to look at the bike today and found some more clues to what happened. Funny how what you recall and what the evidence suggests are often quite different:

First, I found oxidized green paint on right shoulder of tire. Front brake caliper is crushed on rt side, painted caliper (cracked and popped), paint around the brake binder bolt hole thru fork crown popped off as well. Green paint from bollard embedded in the allen screwheads holding stem to bars. Looks like he squared it up!

Second, a straightedge held to the side of top tube shows quite a deflection to the left. Surprisingly, the downtube appears straight. No paint popping off the downtube-headtube junction.

If I were to guess, spacing on cuts probably matches the binder screws holding stem to steerer. Appears the upper shin probably still the cause of the TT damage. He actually returned to the scene and photographed the bollard, which is dented. Lucky he didn't end up in much worse shape, IMO>

Since he now knows what an ER visit costs, and that facial reconstruction is likely 1-2 orders of magnitude more expensive, I think he's resigned himself to using the frame to dry clothes.

Louis, I do believe Seanile is correct (patellar tendon). Wound even more impressive in the video he shot while awaiting treatment (boys will be boys). Let me know if you require a copy!

unterhausen
01-20-2015, 11:16 PM
I couldn't make myself ride that frame. I long ago decided that I refuse to ride any frame I have doubts about, no matter how stupid the doubts might be. And tubes are much more robust as a structural member when they don't have dents

oldpotatoe
01-21-2015, 05:49 AM
That's a Vigorelli. I thought they were all aluminum. I'd have a hard time riding a alu bike that's been that dented.

Me neither but I looked it up and I thought it was steel.

wildboar
01-21-2015, 09:13 AM
http://www.jlsmithco.com/MAGNETIC-DENT-REMOVAL-TOOLS

FlashUNC
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Its the Bianchi that threw me. Thought it was a Cinelli Vigorelli track frame. Thats what I get for not paying attention to the color...

eippo1
01-21-2015, 09:46 AM

Yeah Vigorellis were steel. http://bikereviews.com/2010/09/2011-bianchi-vigorelli/

Reynolds 531 and then 631 later.

seanile
01-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Its the Bianchi that threw me. Thought it was a Cinelli Vigorelli track frame. Thats what I get for not paying attention to the color...or the thread title

malcolm
01-21-2015, 10:28 AM
likely the patella tendon

Given the location most likely just connective over the patella or fascia.

If the dent doesn't pull anything out of alignment I'd still ride it. I don't think the top tube is a particularly high stress area.

FlashUNC
01-21-2015, 10:31 AM
or the thread title

http://www.killthehydra.com/wp-content/uploads/archaic-rap-see-what-you-did-there1.jpg

unterhausen
01-21-2015, 10:37 AM
If the dent doesn't pull anything out of alignment I'd still ride it. I don't think the top tube is a particularly high stress area.
it's only high stress when you hit a bump. I've seen much smaller dents end up generating cracks, and this top tube has no buckling resistance left. I'd like to see some of the ugly bike forumites are riding, must be some real doozies

WickedWheels
01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
What size is it? There are some deals going on complete Vigorellis right now. I can look into it for you.

malcolm
01-21-2015, 11:02 AM
it's only high stress when you hit a bump. I've seen much smaller dents end up generating cracks, and this top tube has no buckling resistance left. I'd like to see some of the ugly bike forumites are riding, must be some real doozies

I've ridden some with some pretty big dings in the top tube. I'll give you since the use of thin walled steel and aluminum I've been fortunate enough to have several bikes at a time and didn't have to ride one damaged.

BumbleBeeDave
01-21-2015, 09:20 PM
The frame, I mean. Not the knee. Your bud should get THAT looked at pronto!

BBD

dvancleve
01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I suspect an experienced framebuilder or old school shop could align it well enough to ride straight and probably work a lot of that dent out using tube blocks (as long as nothing is cracked). It is steel and won't fly to pieces. The tube can also be replaced, up to the owner whether is it worth it...

Doug