PDA

View Full Version : C-50 revisited...

catulle
04-02-2006, 02:16 PM
After some 100 kms on the C-50, I'm gaining a sharper focus on the different aspects of the bicycle.

What I like better now than when I rode it for the first time (or what I've come to appreciate better): The Gommaitalia Targa tires. I like them way better than the 19mm Continental 3000 I've been riding for the past several years. The Targa tires are more comfortable and smoother without acting slow and fat. But more importantly, they "feel" more durable and impervious to flats. The 3000 tires feel hard and "brittle", whereas the Targa feel pliant and very road worthy. And no cuts so far (some of the roads I travel would make Paris-Roubaix feel like a frozen lake).

I'm also getting better acquainted with the Aliante. I lowered the nose a little and it has made a difference after the first hour on the saddle. However, when taking the hands off the bars the butt slides a tiny bit forward, but nothing bothersome.

I really like the Cateye wireless, heart rate monitor computer (2000 something model). It works like a million bucks. I just wish they'd design the damn things without so much bright aluminum and clear plastic that reflects like a light house when the sun is shinning.

What might not be so hot after all: I must admit that the 40 cm bars might be a bit narrow, and it is reflected in a little discomfort on the wrists after being on the bicycle for some time. However, I think the "cramped cockpit" thing is great. Quid pro quo, bob.

The more I think about engineering that requires a shap knife to take a hub apart, the more I don't like the Fulcrum wheels. Not that they don't ride well, it is just the sloppy engineering that I don't like. Also, the computer magnet supplied by Fulcrum is well designed and nifty on the fat spokes, but totally useless because it is way too small to activate the computer. No more Fulcrum for this old dude. :crap: :no: :butt:

I'm very happy with the frame and the way it performs (in terms of my awareness, anyway). I just wish the tubes were not so fat. They don't look good to my brown peas. imho

terry b
04-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I rode my C50 this morning and I enjoyed the ride.

Fixed
04-02-2006, 03:46 PM
you bros are lucky there is magic in those things ..i.m.h.o. cheers

Grant McLean
04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I used to use a screwdriver and hammer to remove the dust caps
from my nouvo record hubs... a knife seems downright civil.

-g

Fixed
04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
bro all bike racers carry a knife with them anyway . cheers

catulle
04-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I used to use a screwdriver and hammer to remove the dust caps
from my nouvo record hubs... a knife seems downright civil.

-g

The tool below dates from the sixties, and it is what I used for knocking the pins that held the cranks to the bottom bracket. I donīt want to go back there. Two wrongs donīt make a right. :beer:

tool...

catulle
04-02-2006, 04:49 PM

jerk
04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
bro all bike racers carry a knife with them anyway . cheers

fixed-
you're confusing bike racers with italians again....they're not all bike racers.
jerk

Fixed
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
bro sorry i ment when you ride alone in the city .cheers

jerk
04-02-2006, 06:19 PM
bro sorry i ment when you ride alone in the city .cheers

yeah, the jerk knows. he was just poking fun.

jerk

Serpico
04-02-2006, 06:39 PM
I admire your honesty, not many people are willing to be honest (even with themselves) after dropping that much cheddar on a new steed. "I don't like these 800$ wheels" or "I'm not sure about the tubing on this 4500$ frame I just bought" doesn't come easily for most folks.

Thanks for the even-handed review--it's beneficial for others that you can be so objective about your own gear.

btw, I still love the color on your c40--I'm not used to the new 'nago paint schemes, but that's a nice red on the c50 as well.

SoCalSteve
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
After some 100 kms on the C-50, I'm gaining a sharper focus on the different aspects of the bicycle.

What I like better now than when I rode it for the first time (or what I've come to appreciate better): The Gommaitalia Targa tires. I like them way better than the 19mm Continental 3000 I've been riding for the past several years. The Targa tires are more comfortable and smoother without acting slow and fat. But more importantly, they "feel" more durable and impervious to flats. The 3000 tires feel hard and "brittle", whereas the Targa feel pliant and very road worthy. And no cuts so far (some of the roads I travel would make Paris-Roubaix feel like a frozen lake).

I'm also getting better acquainted with the Aliante. I lowered the nose a little and it has made a difference after the first hour on the saddle. However, when taking the hands off the bars the butt slides a tiny bit forward, but nothing bothersome.

I really like the Cateye wireless, heart rate monitor computer (2000 something model). It works like a million bucks. I just wish they'd design the damn things without so much bright aluminum and clear plastic that reflects like a light house when the sun is shinning.

What might not be so hot after all: I must admit that the 40 cm bars might be a bit narrow, and it is reflected in a little discomfort on the wrists after being on the bicycle for some time. However, I think the "cramped cockpit" thing is great. Quid pro quo, bob.

The more I think about engineering that requires a shap knife to take a hub apart, the more I don't like the Fulcrum wheels. Not that they don't ride well, it is just the sloppy engineering that I don't like. Also, the computer magnet supplied by Fulcrum is well designed and nifty on the fat spokes, but totally useless because it is way too small to activate the computer. No more Fulcrum for this old dude. :crap: :no: :butt:

I'm very happy with the frame and the way it performs (in terms of my awareness, anyway). I just wish the tubes were not so fat. They don't look good to my brown peas. imho

And I love the fatter tubes of my C-50 compared to my C-40 (which I sold many moons ago).

Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

And, I too love the way my C-50 rides! And, it has a "jerk" approved 140mm stem as well.

Steve

terry b
04-02-2006, 08:11 PM
I admire your honesty, not many people are willing to be honest (even with themselves) after dropping that much cheddar on a new steed.

I can afford to be honest, my C50 cost $390USD.

$20 for the raffle ticket (University of Arizona Cycling Team) and $370 for the CF crank upgrade. Wouldn't hurt at all to admit I hated it, if I did.

catulle
04-03-2006, 07:18 AM