PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale SuperX / Cross does commuter really well

Charles M
01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I just finished this...

Cannondale SuperX Disc Review:

Cannondale Superx / SRAM CX1 / American Classic Hurricane (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-spec/cannondale-cx1-cross-bike-review/)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/14-cannondale-SRAM-cx1-1.jpg

Yeah, it's a cross bike, but it makes for an incredible commuter and Gravel rig...

rnhood
01-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Nice review with detail and pictures. Its probably a very good cross bike however, without fender and to a lesser extent rack mounts, this bike is not going too garner much of a following in the commuter/gravel venue. I just looked at the aluminum model, which appears to be the CAADX, and it does have the mounts however, the geometry (at least on the 58 size) seems to be whacky or perhaps just not correct in the geo table.

Charles M
01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Ah, I forget that whole "wet" thing... Not much of a consideration in AZ. And I commute with a Back pack, so I guess that's a fair consideration that not everyone commutes the same way.

I think it's time to build a cross bar version project that dials right in on commute.

Same puffy 32 section tires and discs. Maybe a Ti Carbon combo...

tumbler
01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
How do you like that seatpost?

josephr
01-21-2015, 12:17 PM
nice review and thanks --- I'm assuming this isn't the hi-mod version?

also, to rnhood's comments, the aluminum version is intended to be as much CX as it is commuter/gravel/all-arounder while the Super-X is more racer-CX, that's why the geo is a little more upright and comes with rack/fender mounts.

mhespenheide
01-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Charles,

Another ask about the seatpost -- what do you think? Have you tried the bike with a "normal" seatpost for comparison?

Thanks,
Mark

Charles M
01-21-2015, 05:38 PM
The ergon seat post works well. I really like it.. Not just for the cross bike but for road in general.

I've used it in 4 different bikes.

It has a nice slight give over rougher surfaces but none of the bounce of suspension posts. It doesnt move far, but it does have a notable give to it.

rnhood
01-21-2015, 07:00 PM
nice review and thanks --- I'm assuming this isn't the hi-mod version?

also, to rnhood's comments, the aluminum version is intended to be as much CX as it is commuter/gravel/all-arounder while the Super-X is more racer-CX, that's why the geo is a little more upright and comes with rack/fender mounts.

I got stuck with the wheel base number. With respect to the CAADX, the geo chart on Cannondale's site indicate the 56 and 58 size model have identical wheel base numbers. Yet the 58 has a longer front center - and chain stay lengths are identical between the two. I mean, how much trouble is it to just put the correct info on the website. I am in the market for a do-it-all type bike but, I prefer brands that provide accurate and up to date info - hence my lean toward the Specialized Diverge - which also provides rack and fender mounts and, a low BB (both the carbon and aluminum models).

But the Cannondale is priced well, all things considered.