PDA

View Full Version : The. Best. Bike. Ever.

Elefantino
01-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Could there be four more subjective words in cyclingdom? Probably not. But everyone has, has had, has seen, or knows of, what they consider to be the best bike ever.

It doesn't have to be one you own but has to be one you'd want to own and ride on a regular basis. Maybe even the ONE bike you'd pick over every other bike. Old, new, doesn't matter. Just has to have two wheels.

Oh, and why.

Have fun!

:banana::banana:

cinema
01-19-2015, 12:40 AM
my favorite is the motobecane grand mirage. I haven't been able to find it in as good condition as i'd like, but when I had it, it was awesome. it's the type of ride i'm always chasing. humble beginnings.

Louis
01-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Because it was the first truly popular model.

http://monod-perenchies.pagesperso-orange.fr/techno/3/Site_web_Marquis-Dubus/images/draisienne.gif

Jaq
01-19-2015, 01:38 AM
I was 11 or 12 or so, and I was fooling around on my Schwinn Varsity when a friend's dad let me ride his Paramount. It was the magical moment when I knew I'd be riding bikes the rest of my life, and I swore that some day I'd have one just like it.

Grew up, got into crit racing, bought my first bike, a second-hand Trek 760, and raced it for a good ten years. Time and jobs and family took over, but I started making more money, and finally had the chance to buy a Paramount...

And Schwinn really wasn't making them anymore. So I did what I had to: got myself a custom Waterford from Richard Schwinn. Spent a goodly time thinking it over, talking to some local guys; Ted Ernst was a friend of a friend and he really had some sage advice. Got fitted for it, had it built, sent it back because the colors were wrong, got it back and put together and I've never looked back. Still have it, still ride it regularly.

Ironically, though, I never raced it. By the time I got it, I stopped racing because I just didn't have time. But it's my grail bike, and I love it as much today as the day I rode it home almost 20 years ago.

Oh, and my friend's dad still has his Paramount!

fogrider
01-19-2015, 02:42 AM
so a few years ago, I'm looking through craigslist and I come across a post for a Ron Cooper road bike that has been converted into a fixie. The guy post a few crappy photos of a bike that has been painted black. I email him and we setup to meet, we chat and he tells me that he is the original owner. I was a little disappointed that all the decals were gone and it was a fillet brazed frame and not a lugged frame. There is only one dealer in the SF bay area, and he gives me all the right answers. I hop on it and take it for a quick spin around the parking lot...it rides good even as a fixie. I give him the cash and get the bike home. I strip it down and sell off the cheap fixie parts. The frame is 4.5 pounds...just the frame. The fork was a cheapie and I start the hunt for a decent fork and headset. About 9 months go by before I get it together. I put it together with a what I have from my bin...downtube shifters, suntour superbe derailluars, old campy brakes, and some tubular wheels. I didn't expect much from it, after all the frame was heavy. After riding a few blocks I knew the frame was special. It felt really stable and really nimble. The power transfer felt really good and it climbed better than I expected. I rode it around for a few months then had it resprayed.

when I got it back, I had picked up some carbon wheels and a few other lightweight bits...full bike comes in under 18 pounds. the bike is amazing to ride! https://www.flickr.com/photos/72776081@N03/sets/72157635239066004

merckx
01-19-2015, 07:09 AM
My Zank. The fit, function and aesthetics are sublime.

cua90
01-19-2015, 08:01 AM
'92 Merckx Corsa Extra, 62 w/SPX tubing. Full Campy Chorus. Found it seven years ago. A dream deferred, the kind of ride I wasn't able to afford when it was new. Fits me like a glove and is a wonderful smooth ride when the tubies are on.

classtimesailer
01-19-2015, 08:29 AM
The latest Colnago with Super Record, Campy wheels, tubulars and team paint just like someone will ride in this years Tour de France. OR the Best Road Bike winner at this years NAHBS.
Jeff

pinoymamba
01-19-2015, 08:31 AM
NJS track frames especially ones with aero tubing (non NJS)

eddief
01-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Custom Ti Carver fits and rides as well, if not better than any of the others. Davis did a nice job on the design and XACD China executed it perfectly. If only one bike allowed, this is the one.

I have also owned 3 Specialized Roubaix, either S-Works or Pro. Sold S-Works due to dumbass BB30. Sold the first Pro due to incoming Fierte IT. The Roubaix Pro was a better bike for me...so now I'm on my second one.

The ride of the Roubaix competes with the Carver and is often a tad more fun to ride as it's slightly lighter and somewhat better climber

thwart
01-19-2015, 09:40 AM
This probably sounds like a broken record for some… but this is the bike.

Has saved my butt on several occasions when, by all rights, I should've been down on the ground. Yet I never worry a bit if everyone else on the ride shows up on their carbon uber-light bike… no problem when you're riding something that feels like a wound-up spring. And do 80 miles, get off and feel good.

Not a huge fan of the paint scheme (considering some of Dario's other work) but as for downsides, that covers it.

rain dogs
01-19-2015, 09:40 AM
I know that this is going to get groans... but I'm a utilitarian.

the SI Cannondale CAAD's... 5-10. They are the Porsche 911 of the road bike world. Sure, they're not a Ferrari, or Bugati. One of, if not the quintessential aluminium frames, largely unchanged since what? 2003? You could even go back before SI. (I may be bias, as an owner of one now and three over time)

They're affordable, you can dress em up, dress em down. Race them, Cyclotour them, off road them. They can be sub 16lbs, or your sprayed out 20lb daily user.

Yeah, it's not a flashy answer but depending on the criteria, it's a fitting answer.