PDA

View Full Version : Best waterproof bibs (or tights)?

Hepmike
01-19-2015, 12:15 AM
By 'waterproof' all I'm looking for is 2-3 hours of comfort, understanding short of shrink-wrapping myself some moisture is going to get in...

Castelli Nanoflex are only touted as 'water resistant' (or is that a good option)?

Not opposed to some running style tights (if I could identify a quality pair) that I could layer under my normal bibs...

What are you guys running?

CNY rider
01-19-2015, 06:37 AM
I like Showers Pass rain pants both for cycling and nordic skiing.
Just be sure to get the suspenders otherwise they slide down and get uncomfortable.

merckx
01-19-2015, 07:06 AM
I use some Gore knicks that are fabulous. They keep my bum dry. Suspenders are also required. I had a pair of Craft rain knicks that were rubbish. They lasted about 1/2 a winter season before they delaminated and ripped.

Dr Luxurious
01-19-2015, 10:52 AM
I've got Giordana G-Shield bibs and warmers. Water really does roll right off.

c-record
01-19-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm curious on experiences here too. Both the Castelli and G-Shield are on my watch list.

Hepmike
01-19-2015, 11:08 AM
I was not familiar with the G-Shield prior to this thread, but they sure look $$. I thought the Castelli's Nano's were pricey until I saw those.

eippo1
01-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Curious about these too:
http://www.probikekit.com/sports-clothing/sportful-fiandre-men-s-no-rain-bib-tights-black/10959583.html

Apparently they and Castelli are the same company.

There's a picture review in on CC:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sportful-fiandre-no-rain-bib-tights-mens?ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6TWVuXCdzIFRpZ2h0cyAmIEtuaW NrZXJzOjI6MzQ6Y2NDYXQxMDAyMjQ&skidn=STF002J-BK-S

Kirk007
01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Assos with airblock. Finally replacing a set that's ten years old and wore out in the seat. Heavy discounts on older models at assos factory outlet.

I just got the castelli nanoflex leg warmers and the giordana g-shield bib shorts. The giordana have a bit more warmth. The nanoflex are much thinner than I anticipated and I find that below 45 particularly in rain that they're just not quite enough for me.

madencbm
01-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Pearl Izumi Am Fib bibs for Pacific Northwest through the winter riding. Not water proof but highly resistant. They have an elastic cuff that will go around top of shoe and no zipper on bottom of leg (best feature of all). Any water resistant clothing must be kept clean and not washed in detergent, otherwise water will wick through.

Lovetoclimb
01-19-2015, 06:11 PM
I have ridden in some pretty nasty wet weather and snow in the Rapha Deep Winter Biblongs and they work smashingly well. Also currently on sale. Very thick as they are meant for the worst winter can throw at you.

john903
01-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Ibex wool kickers, while not water proof they certainly help keep me warm on these wet cold pacific northwest winters. If you have never tried the new wool stuff may I suggest giving wool a try.
Have a great day.

Hepmike
01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Ok, decided to go this way:

http://www.probikekit.com/sports-clothing/sportful-no-rain-leg-warmers-black/10736100.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_clothing&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiAlvilBRC5ueCzkpXb4kgSJADxop1BL7kHRrjm g7u9KuYJQ9pp4A4HchsHD5w2a9k5g4JeAhoCicHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

As a "sub" brand of Castelli, these are likely just a rebranding of the Nanoflex warmers, and at only $32 seems like it would be hard to go wrong. I have plenty of thermal/winter bibs, and with a quality set of water repellent warmers I figure I can layer whatever thickness I need over the top of these, depending on the temp.

I can post some impressions of them within a week or so, if anyone is interested...