PDA

View Full Version : OT: NFL - spoilers

vqdriver
01-18-2015, 06:21 PM
seahawks are back already and love em or hate em, that was a nutty finish

luck's receivers are letting him down so far. hopefully they wake up to make this a good one.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 06:23 PM
I can't believe GB managed to blow that. That might be the worst QB performance I've ever seen from a winning team.

Luck is incredible.

laupsi
01-18-2015, 06:41 PM
I can't believe GB managed to blow that. That might be the worst QB performance I've ever seen from a winning team.

Luck is incredible.

Agreed, and those poor Packers' fans :confused:

vqdriver
01-18-2015, 06:45 PM
indy just hasn't shown up for this one. no answer for NE at all.

Grinta13
01-18-2015, 06:51 PM

That's what I was thinking about Seattle at the half. Heck, I was thinking that with about 4 minutes left to play. If Indy can just keep it close, they have a chance.

p nut
01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
I was rooting for GB, but what a finish.

What was up with the bicycles at the end? Seattle thing? I don't watch a whole lot of fball.

Climb01742
01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
i wouldn't want to be that GB TE would bungled the onside kick.

and though i'm a big Pats fan, why can't the announcers treat everyone equally? the interception brady threw trying to hit gronk was a bad pass, much too short, yet the announcers (ok, phil simms) won't dare say so, just say brady threw a bad pass. what the hell?

peanutgallery
01-18-2015, 07:44 PM
I have a hard time watching Seattle, too much chirping and don't get me started on Pete Carroll. Crazy game, but the packers earned the loss with the yips in the red zone - that was tragic. Seattle better play better against the hoodie

madencbm
01-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Luck is incredible.

Yea, that 'worst' performance sent that precise pass that won the game when it counted. I sure hope he doesn't get better.

Go Hawks!

Climb01742
01-18-2015, 07:51 PM
at some point in the play-offs, the pats will line up brady's mother as an eligible receiver. and throw her a TD.

laupsi
01-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Yea, that 'worst' performance sent that precise pass that won the game when it counted. I sure hope he doesn't get better.

Go Hawks!

If given enough time, we all become brilliant. Not taking a shot, have no horse in this any more but the better quarterback, performance wise, lost that game.

wc1934
01-18-2015, 08:38 PM
at some point in the play-offs, the pats will line up brady's mother as an eligible receiver. and throw her a TD.

Nate Solder is Brady's mother? -hahaha

Climb01742
01-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Nate Solder is Brady's mother? -hahaha

for the sake of brady's dad, i hope not.;)

Louis
01-18-2015, 08:52 PM
So I would imagine that the Pats will be favored over the Seahawks.

By how much? I'd be surprised if it's more than 5 pts, but I'm no Vegas expert.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Go Hawks!

Why are Seahawks fans so dedicated to defending his God awful performance in that game? He threw 4ints, had a 44 passer rating and needed a trick field goal and an on side kick conversion. He played like crap. You won despite his play, not because of it.

I like Russel Wilson a lot...and every QB has some bad games...but let's be honest here. HE STUNk and GB lost that game more than Seattle won it.

I like Seattle over the pats (I think both NFC teams were better than either AFC team).

Kirk007
01-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Why are Seahawks fans so dedicated to defending his God awful performance in that game? He threw 4ints, had a 44 passer rating and needed a trick field goal and an on side kick conversion. He played like crap. You won despite his play, not because of it.

I like Russel Wilson a lot...and every QB has some bad games...but let's be honest here. HE STUNk and GB lost that game more than Seattle won it.

Wilson was clearly not at his best - bad throws, some bad decisions, not much with his legs; there was some report about illness. But the other big "ill" was that his receivers had a lot of catchable balls that they just missed. Luck seemed to be having the same luck, at least while I was watching. But at the end of the day, Wilson and Lynch's play in the fourth quarter and overtime got the job down. I bet if you asked the losing QBs in both games if they'd rather have brilliant games and lose or suck games and win, well ....

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Wilson was clearly not at his best - bad throws, some bad decisions, not much with his legs; there was some report about illness. But the other big "ill" was that his receivers had a lot of catchable balls that they just missed. Luck seemed to be having the same luck, at least while I was watching. But at the end of the day, Wilson and Lynch's play in the fourth quarter and overtime got the job down. I bet if you asked the losing QBs in both games if they'd rather have brilliant games and lose or suck games and win, well ....
Sure - and if he wins the bowl, no one will remember how poorly he played in this game (and he played poorly). That said, you're absolutely right - his receivers were not doing him any favors in the first half and neither was his OL.

I suspect some of this is just that they aren't a finesse high powered offense like we've all gotten accustomed to. They're built to wear you down and win on defense, not play from a 16 point deficit, which should have been a lot worse.

I wish my eagles played like that and ran the ball up the gut. Even our run game is finesse :(

Edit - I wonder if any other QB has thrown 4 ints and still advanced.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 09:51 PM
Found an interesting stat:

INTs
Record
Winning %
166-44
127-97
48-103
14-73
1-26
0-10
0-3

Only one QB prior to today won a playoff game after throwing 4 ints, and in that case his opponent also threw 4 ints.

pjmsj21
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Found an interesting stat:

INTs
Record
Winning %
166-44
127-97
48-103
14-73
1-26
0-10
0-3

Only one QB prior to today won a playoff game after throwing 4 ints, and in that case his opponent also threw 4 ints.

So.......I am not sure what this really means if anything at all.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 10:00 PM
So.......I am not sure what this really means if anything at all.

It means that throwing ints in the playoffs has a strong correlation with losing, renenforcing my surprise that wilson could play that poorly and still win. It's pretty amazing that he could throw 4 picks and still eke out a win.

It also means that his int performance was really noxious; not many QBs have thrown that many in any playoff game.

Edit - one caveat, those stats were compiled in 2006.

Kirk007
01-18-2015, 10:01 PM
I wish my eagles played like that and ran the ball up the gut. Even our run game is finesse :(

Seems to be Chip Kelly's preference.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Seems to be Chip Kelly's preference.

It's not my preference and I'm not as in love with kelly as my brethren. I'm an NFC east guy - I like defense, consistency and efficient red zone play. I like watching Seattle - I wish we played like that.

What's sad is that in my decades of Eagles fandom, we've really only had a couple of teams I really liked or believed in. I probably should have been a Giants fan, but I was born with the birds.

pjmsj21
01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
It means that throwing ints in the playoffs has a strong correlation with losing, renenforcing my surprise that wilson could play that poorly and still win. It's pretty amazing that he could throw 4 picks and still eke out a win.

It also means that his int performance was really noxious; not many QBs have thrown that many in any playoff game.

Edit - one caveat, those stats were compiled in 2006.

Well everyone would acknowledge that the first thee and a half quarters weren't pretty and that Seattle was easily off its game. However the last half quarter along with their overtime play was pretty remarkable unless you are a GB fan. In the end they got the points they needed and did what they had to to win and Green Bay did not.

bironi
01-18-2015, 10:18 PM
As a seahawks local, I had to view most of the game as an absurd comedy. The outcome was even more absurd and the whole hawk nation had one big nervous laugh.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Well everyone would acknowledge that the first thee and a half quarters weren't pretty and that Seattle was easily off its game. However the last half quarter along with their overtime play was pretty remarkable unless you are a GB fan. In the end they got the points they needed and did what they had to to win and Green Bay did not.

Let me give you a different interpretation as someone who doesn't care about either team (though I prefer Seattle because I like that at least someone is playing hard nosed football).

Russel Wilson, the Seattle OL (for pass protection) and the receivers played horrendously, especially Wilson who made some passes that were just embarrassing. GB failed to capitalize and Seattle's defense did a good job of damage control. Wilson was a complete turd for 50 minutes.

Seattle got lucky as hell, and GB didn't make the plays they needed to, on the fake field goal and on side kick. Beast mode was beast mode. After they got to OT, lynch had firmly taken over the game, relieved pressure from wilson and they were playing Seattle ball again.

I think it's highly disengenuous to try and claim Seattle "did what they needed to". They got lucky with a few bounces and GB missed some opportunities and blew it.

A win is a win, but when my team escapes games like that, I don't pretend we somehow deserved it, or reinterpret horrendous play. I thank the football gods for the bounce and look forward to the next game.

Look - I'm an Eagles fan. That makes me an expert on crappy QB play. If there is one group of fans who are subject matter experts on lousy QB play, it's us. Wilson's play was lousy.

Bradford
01-18-2015, 10:33 PM

I'm pretty sure we are going to see Julian Edelman throw a touchdown to Nat Solder in the Super Bowl.

That was a great game. I thought the Seahawks were the best team in football this year, bu they looked bad today. Pats looked great. I say this Super Bowl is a toss up.

Anarchist
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Let me give you a different interpretation as someone who doesn't care about either team (though I prefer Seattle because I like that at least someone is playing hard nosed football).

Russel Wilson, the Seattle OL (for pass protection) and the receivers played horrendously, especially Wilson who made some passes that were just embarrassing. GB failed to capitalize and Seattle's defense did a good job of damage control. Wilson was a complete turd for 50 minutes.

Seattle got lucky as hell, and GB didn't make the plays they needed to, on the fake field goal and on side kick. Beast mode was beast mode. After they got to OT, lynch had firmly taken over the game, relieved pressure from wilson and they were playing Seattle ball again.

I think it's highly disengenuous to try and claim Seattle "did what they needed to". They got lucky with a few bounces and GB missed some opportunities and blew it.

Did you lose money on the game?

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Did you lose money on the game?

Not a dime :)

I have no preference or bias with this at all. If. Anything my bias is pro-Seattle in this case. What I saw was Seattle play poorly and get lucky while GB blew it. I saw a game that hinged on the conversion of an on sides kick.

What's the percentage on those when expected? About 20%? What's the percentage of a 2 pt conversion? Did you watch that 2 pt conversion?

thirdgenbird
01-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Did you watch that 2 pt conversion?

Im pretty sure I could have made a play on that ball had I been where the defender was standing.

Aaron O
01-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Im pretty sure I could have made a play on that ball had I been where the defender was standing.

GB blew it. After stomping them all over the field, they lost on a fake FG, a 2 pt conversion that should never have been and an onsides kick. You can't get that many chances against a team like Seattle and put up 16 points with it.

Louis
01-18-2015, 11:04 PM
I just checked the SB line - it opened at pick'em, but apparently at least one place now has Pat's by 1. Seems a lot closer than I would have guessed.

Climb01742
01-19-2015, 05:32 AM
GB only scored 6 points off SEA 5 turnovers. As well as SEA played at the end, GB should have salted the game away by then.

As a Pats fan, hard to imagine Wilson has another four INTs in him. It could come down to their beast mode against our's (Blount).;)

oldpotatoe
01-19-2015, 05:44 AM

GB gave it away and I turned off the AFC in the second quarter. It was already done. Would have liked to see an 'old school' SB, Colts, GB..maybe in the snow.

thirdgenbird
01-19-2015, 07:20 AM
GB gave it away and I turned off the AFC in the second quarter. It was already done. Would have liked to see an 'old school' SB, Colts, GB..maybe in the snow.

Probably no snow in Arizona this year

soulspinner
01-19-2015, 07:43 AM
i wouldn't want to be that GB TE would bungled the onside kick.

and though i'm a big Pats fan, why can't the announcers treat everyone equally? the interception brady threw trying to hit gronk was a bad pass, much too short, yet the announcers (ok, phil simms) won't dare say so, just say brady threw a bad pass. what the hell?

Couldn't believe the ball bounced off his chest and he is on the "hands" team...

Anarchist
01-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Probably no snow in Arizona this year

Certainly not indoors.

thirdgenbird
01-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Certainly not indoors.

They can always roll the turf outside or open the roof.

malcolm
01-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I think Aaron Rodgers said it best when talking to Bradshaw "we have to score TDs in the red zone", they didn't and they lost. Russell Wilson had the worst game I've seen him play, but he always has a couple spectacular plays in him and it was enough to beat a team that couldn't capitalize on several opportunities to put their opponent away. Packers lost for many reasons but mainly because they couldn't put the ball in the end zone to gain enough cushion to hold off a few big plays.

As an aside I'm not a fan of the OT rules. I think both teams should have a possession, the first TD and it's over makes the coin toss to important especially with explosive offenses. Both teams offense and defense should have an opportunity to win or lose the game.

Climb01742
01-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Here's an odd question: do teams have an assistant somewhere, during the game, watching the TV broadcast of the game? So they can see something maybe you miss down on the field? I ask because I wonder if GB knew that Richard Sherman was hurt late in the game? Why not attack a guy who's playing with only one arm? If GB knew and didn't go after him, why the heck not??

thirdgenbird
01-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Here's an odd question: do teams have an assistant somewhere, during the game, watching the TV broadcast of the game? So they can see something maybe you miss down on the field? I ask because I wonder if GB knew that Richard Sherman was hurt late in the game? Why not attack a guy who's playing with only one arm? If GB knew and didn't go after him, why the heck not??

They have guys watching tape closely.

They were driving the ball pretty well on their last position and on 3rd down, they did go his way. The guy still made the tackle with one arm. He might be brash, but that dude can play ball.

I'm sure they could have pressured him more, but I bet he is still effective at knocking the ball down with one hand. I'm sure he was much less likely to intercept the ball, but the reciever still needed to be open enough to make the catch himself.

shovelhd
01-19-2015, 09:42 AM

They have coaches in the box sending images to the Microsoft Surface tablets on the sideline.

GB threw this game away. They had it in their grasp. Indy mailed it in after they went down by two scores. Sad. I can't stand Seattle and their flapping gums. Should be a good game as long as the Patriots get going early.

Aaron O
01-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't think Wilson is likely to have another of those in him. I wonder if Seattle maybe looked past GB to an extent?

I don't gamble much, but I think Seattle has to be the favorite here.

Bruce K
01-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Two points:

1. It was that TE's job to block for the guy who had the job of fielding the kick

He interfered with their set play and ultimately cost them the game

2. There was some speculation by GB that Sherman was faking, trying to trick them into throwing his way

BK

Aaron O
01-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Two points:

1. It was that TE's job to block for the guy who had the job of fielding the kick

2. There was some speculation by GB that Sherman was faking, trying to trick them into throwing his way

BK
Sherman's arm could be cut off and I still wouldn't throw anywhere near that guy. He's too smart, too quick and too disciplined. He reminds me of a bigger rod Woodson.

Anyone who wants to understand the term football IQ need only watch Sherman play.

vqdriver
01-19-2015, 01:07 PM
coach's know their players best. there's a reason carroll left him in there over his subs. a one armed sherman is better than most in the league

Louis
01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Two points:

This is way too unfair to a single player. The loss was an entire team effort, including the coaching staff.

Aaron O
01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
This is way too unfair to a single player. The loss was an entire team effort, including the coaching staff.

+1 - like whoever failed in defending that two pt conversion.

Bruce K
01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
True but if you saw his post game interview he admitted he screwed up.

If you saw the head coach when he came off the field he grabbed him and yelled at him "Just do your job!"

If he catches the ball or better yet, lets it go to the other guy (who was waiting for it), the game is over.

True others failed but they didn't need to be in those positions at all if they execute the onside recovery.

BK

peanutgallery
01-19-2015, 03:12 PM
It wasn't a single player that caused it - pure team effort IMHO. Walked out of the TV room to grab a beer and answer the door, let the dog out, let the cat in, feed the cat, let the cat back out, etc. I was aware of all the Seahawk turnovers and GB red zone opportunities but didn't pay close attention to the outcomes for several minutes. Bemused when I eventually figured out that the Packers were only up 6-0, the Seahawks were never really out of the game as GB didn't capitalize very well on all the mistakes. They should have been up like 35-0 at the half

There were a handful of plays just in the 4th quarter alone and if the Packers would have executed on just one of them they would have won the game. The onside kick was one, what about the interception with 5 minutes to go? The guy just slid and there wasn't a Seahawk within 10 or 15 yards. They could have had a 1st and 10 on the Seattle 30. One of many opportunities that GB let slip away

djg21
01-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I don't think Wilson is likely to have another of those in him. I wonder if Seattle maybe looked past GB to an extent?

I don't gamble much, but I think Seattle has to be the favorite here.

The spread opened at Seattle by 2.5, but dropped to a pick'em. I think the Pats will win by at least a TD.

peanutgallery
01-19-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm with you on the 7, the Packers gave the hoodie a rough cut of what they need to do defensively. They kept Wilson in the pocket for most of the time. 2 weeks for them to figure it out and do it with much greater efficiency. The Pats are the Borg of the NFL this year, they figure out deficiencies and turn into whatever they need to (offensively and defensively) in order to take advantage. The Legion of Boom is too cocky to do that. Should be a good matchup, though

The spread opened at Seattle by 2.5, but dropped to a pick'em. I think the Pats will win by at least a TD.

djg21
01-19-2015, 05:31 PM
I'm with you on the 7, the Packers gave the hoodie a rough cut of what they need to do defensively. They kept Wilson in the pocket for most of the time. 2 weeks for them to figure it out and do it with much greater efficiency. The Pats are the Borg of the NFL this year, they figure out deficiencies and turn into whatever they need to (offensively and defensively) in order to take advantage. The Legion of Boom is too cocky to do that. Should be a good matchup, though

I think the Pat's defensive secondary is playing too well and assuming the Pats (1) are able to pressure Wilson like they did Luck, (2) cover the receivers like GB did before the OT, and (3) contain Wilson, it will be another Brady show. While Edelman, Gronk and Blount can gave big games, I wouldn't be surprised to see LaFell or Gray or someone entirely unexpected step up and have a huge day.

I thought the Ravens would have been the one team to knock the Pats off.

The question I have is whether Brady and/or Belechik retires if they do win the Super Bowl. I'd hate to see Brady finish like Payton Manning.

thirdgenbird
01-19-2015, 06:13 PM
I was wondering that too. I think Brady has some very good years left, but if he wins another SB, he could go out like a king.

malcolm
01-20-2015, 10:55 AM
I think the Pat's defensive secondary is playing too well and assuming the Pats (1) are able to pressure Wilson like they did Luck, (2) cover the receivers like GB did before the OT, and (3) contain Wilson, it will be another Brady show. While Edelman, Gronk and Blount can gave big games, I wouldn't be surprised to see LaFell or Gray or someone entirely unexpected step up and have a huge day.

I thought the Ravens would have been the one team to knock the Pats off.

The question I have is whether Brady and/or Belechik retires if they do win the Super Bowl. I'd hate to see Brady finish like Payton Manning.

Manning is still a great QB, but I agree chasing that next ring he may go too long. His post season numbers have never been great, if I'm not mistaken more INTs in postseason than TDs. Montanna was the man in postseason.
Never been a Brady fan and not sure why he can certainly play, maybe I'm jealous of the girlfriend, but I agree if he wins this one I would think about quitting while on top.

Kirk007
01-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Speaking as a Seattle resident, that's a lot of ifs. :)

Ozz
01-20-2015, 01:23 PM

Russell doesn't always throw 4 picks in a game, but when he does, he goes to Super Bowl . Stay thirsty my friends !