PDA

View Full Version : sram WiFli RD: rival vs force vs red shifting quality?

sowestport
01-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Any comments about the quality?

I have the Rival RD w/my red shifters. Sometimes the shifting doesn't seem so crisp. There's a big difference between cold weather riding vs indoor in shifting quality. Perhaps it's not the rd but the cables.

Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Force or Red Wifli RD.

guido
01-18-2015, 04:30 PM
How old are the cables?

sowestport
01-18-2015, 04:40 PM
How old are the cables?

3 months old

dave thompson
01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Degrease/deoil your cables. During cold weather the grease or oil can thicken and noticeably affect your shifting.

ofcounsel
01-18-2015, 06:49 PM
I've had the Rival WiFli and the Force WiFli derailleurs on the same bike. No noticeable difference that I could tell.

sowestport
01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
I've had the Rival WiFli and the Force WiFli derailleurs on the same bike. No noticeable difference that I could tell.

Thank you!

Ken Robb
01-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Degrease/deoil your cables. During cold weather the grease or oil can thicken and noticeably affect your shifting.

I have heard of this "cold weather" but have no recent experience with it. :)

sowestport
01-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Without lube, doesn't the shifting also become compromised?

Perhaps a different cable/housing shifting/braking system is in order?

Ken Robb
01-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Do you even use oil/grease with teflon-lined housing?

sowestport
01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Do you even use oil/grease with teflon-lined housing?

Jagwire Road Pro kit, "The Jagwire cables are coated in Teflon and they are used with slick-lube liners."

I'm not sure if the "slick-lube liners" refer to lube with Teflon coated cables.

dave thompson
01-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Without lube, doesn't the shifting also become compromised?

Perhaps a different cable/housing shifting/braking system is in order?

Nope, lined housing/cables don't need additional lube, the housing liner us quite slick and shifts properly by itself. Many will remove lube from cables for expected cold weather.

sowestport
01-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Nope, lined housing/cables don't need additional lube, the housing liner us quite slick and shifts properly by itself. Many will remove lube from cables for expected cold weather.

Thank you! I'll give it a shot.

ptourkin
01-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Ditto.